NVidia or Radeon?

Last response: in Video Games
December 27, 2004 4:57:27 AM

Hi Kids,

I got some money for my birthday and thought I'd sniff up a new video card -
one that doesn't cost a lot but still gives me good shaders, lights,
textures, etc. and speed of course, combined with a decent record of driver
updates (hm, well maybe not that, you can't have everything!).

Nvidia or Radeon, then?

Which one?

Youse guys are banging on 'em and most likely have more money for this stuff
than I do but I hadda ask. Thanks and a belated Merry Christmas!

--

Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff

More about : nvidia radeon

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:31:22 AM

On 12/26/2004 5:57 PM S.P. Goodman brightened our day with:

>Hi Kids,
>
>I got some money for my birthday and thought I'd sniff up a new video card -
>one that doesn't cost a lot but still gives me good shaders, lights,
>textures, etc. and speed of course, combined with a decent record of driver
>updates (hm, well maybe not that, you can't have everything!).
>
>Nvidia or Radeon, then?
>
>Which one?
>
>Youse guys are banging on 'em and most likely have more money for this stuff
>than I do but I hadda ask. Thanks and a belated Merry Christmas!

If you can afford it get an nVidia 6800 non-GT non-Ultra, they can be
had for between $250 and $300 USD.
Or you can have my Radeon 9800 Pro for $150 when I go buy a 6800 in a
couple weeks :-) .
That's my advice, get a new 6800 or look for a used 9800 Pro for no more
than $150.

Other options, the Radeon X700s aren't bad they cost $200 but they're
PCI-Express cards, same goes for the Nvidia 6600 GTs as far as price,
most of them are PCI-E though they started making AGP versions a while
ago.
The Radeon X800s are fine cards as well, but as far as I can tell they
all start around $400.

Right here, this is the card I'm looking to buy:
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4082672

What are you using right now?

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

S.P. Goodman wrote:
\
> Nvidia or Radeon, then?
>
> Which one?

Nvidia 6600GT is pretty much the best card for the money right now.
Google up some reviews and see for yourself.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Thats the one I got, and I am extremely happy with it. Make sure you get the
right type of card, most of the newer ones are PCI-express instead of AGP
now.
December 27, 2004 11:19:27 PM

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 12/26/2004 5:57 PM S.P. Goodman brightened our day with:
>
>> Hi Kids,
>>
>> I got some money for my birthday and thought I'd sniff up a new
>> video card - one that doesn't cost a lot but still gives me good
>> shaders, lights, textures, etc. and speed of course, combined with a
>> decent record of driver updates (hm, well maybe not that, you can't
>> have everything!). Nvidia or Radeon, then?
>>
>> Which one?
>>
>> Youse guys are banging on 'em and most likely have more money for
>> this stuff than I do but I hadda ask. Thanks and a belated Merry
>> Christmas!
> If you can afford it get an nVidia 6800 non-GT non-Ultra, they can be
> had for between $250 and $300 USD.
> Or you can have my Radeon 9800 Pro for $150 when I go buy a 6800 in a
> couple weeks :-) .
> That's my advice, get a new 6800 or look for a used 9800 Pro for no
> more than $150.
>
> Other options, the Radeon X700s aren't bad they cost $200 but they're
> PCI-Express cards, same goes for the Nvidia 6600 GTs as far as price,
> most of them are PCI-E though they started making AGP versions a while
> ago.
> The Radeon X800s are fine cards as well, but as far as I can tell they
> all start around $400.
>
> Right here, this is the card I'm looking to buy:
> http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4082672
>
> What are you using right now?

Good choice, and $50 cheaper than mine was! (eVGA 6800)
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 3:11:24 AM

On 12/27/2004 12:19 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>

>>On 12/26/2004 5:57 PM S.P. Goodman brightened our day with:
>>

>>>Hi Kids,
>>>
>>>I got some money for my birthday and thought I'd sniff up a new
>>>video card - one that doesn't cost a lot but still gives me good
>>>shaders, lights, textures, etc. and speed of course, combined with a
>>>decent record of driver updates (hm, well maybe not that, you can't
>>>have everything!). Nvidia or Radeon, then?
>>>
>>>Which one?
>>>
>>>Youse guys are banging on 'em and most likely have more money for
>>>this stuff than I do but I hadda ask. Thanks and a belated Merry
>>>Christmas!
>>>

>>If you can afford it get an nVidia 6800 non-GT non-Ultra, they can be
>>had for between $250 and $300 USD.
>>Or you can have my Radeon 9800 Pro for $150 when I go buy a 6800 in a
>>couple weeks :-) .
>>That's my advice, get a new 6800 or look for a used 9800 Pro for no
>>more than $150.
>>
>>Other options, the Radeon X700s aren't bad they cost $200 but they're
>>PCI-Express cards, same goes for the Nvidia 6600 GTs as far as price,
>>most of them are PCI-E though they started making AGP versions a while
>>ago.
>>The Radeon X800s are fine cards as well, but as far as I can tell they
>>all start around $400.
>>
>>Right here, this is the card I'm looking to buy:
>>http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4082672
>>
>>What are you using right now?
>>

>Good choice, and $50 cheaper than mine was! (eVGA 6800)

It's been that price for a long time at Fry's but it always says "Call
for Availability", it's not on sale or anything and that price is
cheaper by +$25 than anything you can find searching for that BFG OC
6800 card on Pricegrabber.com.
Many of the big stores are still selling 9800 Pros for $250. I'm still
having a hard time convincing myself to buy a new card again. I bought
a Radeon 9600 Pro in November 2003, then a 9800 Pro last June. Getting
another card when I've barely put 6 months on this 9800 Pro seems a
little over the top. I might just end up buying a 6800 GT for $400 and
then make a vow not to upgrade again for 2 years. My GeForce3 Ti500
lasted for two years and three motherboard upgrades and is still running
strong in my sisters computer. I need to get another card that I think
can do the same, I don't know if I feel that way about the 9800 Pro,
though it can handle HL2 and Doom 3 and probably any other game that's
going to be coming out in the next two years. My LCD monitor maxes at
1280x1024 I want a card that I can run everything at that res with AA
and AF on, the 9800 Pro doesn't cut that.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
| On 12/26/2004 5:57 PM S.P. Goodman brightened our day with:
|
| >Hi Kids,
| >
| >I got some money for my birthday and thought I'd sniff up a new video
card -
| >one that doesn't cost a lot but still gives me good shaders, lights,
| >textures, etc. and speed of course, combined with a decent record of
driver
| >updates (hm, well maybe not that, you can't have everything!).
| >
| >Nvidia or Radeon, then?
| >
| >Which one?
| >
| >Youse guys are banging on 'em and most likely have more money for this
stuff
| >than I do but I hadda ask. Thanks and a belated Merry Christmas!
| >

| If you can afford it get an nVidia 6800 non-GT non-Ultra, they can be
| had for between $250 and $300 USD.
| Or you can have my Radeon 9800 Pro for $150 when I go buy a 6800 in a
| couple weeks :-) .
| That's my advice, get a new 6800 or look for a used 9800 Pro for no more
| than $150.
|
| Other options, the Radeon X700s aren't bad they cost $200 but they're
| PCI-Express cards, same goes for the Nvidia 6600 GTs as far as price,
| most of them are PCI-E though they started making AGP versions a while
| ago.
| The Radeon X800s are fine cards as well, but as far as I can tell they
| all start around $400.
|
| Right here, this is the card I'm looking to buy:
| http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4082672
|
| What are you using right now?

ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Rage Pro. Since I'm in the UK and prices here are
artificially inflated to the max, I suspect it's a trip to eBay on this
one... I can't really spend more than $70 US. That's a piddling £36 at the
moment. Bloody exchange rate! I want to come back to the US can't you
tell?

Any words about the Radeon 9250s?

Thanks.

--

Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
* http://www.medialinenews.com
* http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:43:06 AM

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 12/27/2004 12:19 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>>

>>> On 12/26/2004 5:57 PM S.P. Goodman brightened our day with:

>>> If you can afford it get an nVidia 6800 non-GT non-Ultra, they can
>>> be had for between $250 and $300 USD.
>>> Or you can have my Radeon 9800 Pro for $150 when I go buy a 6800 in
>>> a couple weeks :-) .
>>> That's my advice, get a new 6800 or look for a used 9800 Pro for no
>>> more than $150.
>>>
>>> Other options, the Radeon X700s aren't bad they cost $200 but
>>> they're PCI-Express cards, same goes for the Nvidia 6600 GTs as far
>>> as price, most of them are PCI-E though they started making AGP
>>> versions a while ago.
>>> The Radeon X800s are fine cards as well, but as far as I can tell
>>> they all start around $400.
>>>
>>> Right here, this is the card I'm looking to buy:
>>> http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4082672
>>>
>>> What are you using right now?
>>>

>> Good choice, and $50 cheaper than mine was! (eVGA 6800)
>>

> It's been that price for a long time at Fry's but it always says "Call
> for Availability", it's not on sale or anything and that price is
> cheaper by +$25 than anything you can find searching for that BFG OC
> 6800 card on Pricegrabber.com.
> Many of the big stores are still selling 9800 Pros for $250. I'm
> still having a hard time convincing myself to buy a new card again. I
> bought a Radeon 9600 Pro in November 2003, then a 9800 Pro last
> June. Getting another card when I've barely put 6 months on this
> 9800 Pro seems a little over the top. I might just end up buying a
> 6800 GT for $400 and then make a vow not to upgrade again for 2
> years. My GeForce3 Ti500 lasted for two years and three motherboard
> upgrades and is still running strong in my sisters computer. I need
> to get another card that I think can do the same, I don't know if I
> feel that way about the 9800 Pro, though it can handle HL2 and Doom 3
> and probably any other game that's going to be coming out in the next
> two years. My LCD monitor maxes at 1280x1024 I want a card that I
> can run everything at that res with AA and AF on, the 9800 Pro
> doesn't cut that.

No, the 9800 Pro has a niche though. The newest games have finally
outrun it. Now we need X800 or 6800 just to keep up. In the last 3
years, I've upgraded mobos 4 times, counting a 5th when my GA8-iHXP mobo
died when I put the brand new Radeon 9800 Pro in it. The vid card, PS,
CPU and all that are fine. Got an GA8-IPE1000-G now with PC3200+ rather
than rambus. I ended up getting a 8500-128, a Ti4600-128, an
FX5900-128, and a 9800 Pro all in that 3 years. Swapped em all in and
out a few times, playing with em. Sent the 8500 to a friend, my son has
the 9800 Pro, and when the fan quit on the FX5900 I dropped the Ti4600
back in. So here I was playing HL2 on the Ti4600, and it did right well
too :)  But isn't DX9. Then I learned that the FX wasn't supported in
DX9, only DX8. Grrr. I ordered an Arctic Cooler for it, but in the
meantime, got itchy for something new and more powerful. Didn't find an
X800 anywhere, nor the 6800 GT or Ultra. DID find a 6800 in stock. Got
it. I like it, and everything IS improved, visually and speed wise.
But I'd had my heart set on at least a GT. So will get that at end of
January. I've now found someone who can get me one in a couple days
time. And I'll likely put the FX in my eldest daughters system, she
needs better than a Radeon 7000 even for the 2D Photoshop work she does
:)  that will leave me the Ti4600 for backup. Yeah, the 6800 has a home
too in my middle daughters computer. I love having kids, makes
justifying my upgrades so easy... "Hey kiddo....you need an upgrade!
Here, lemme put this in yours...." So my sons AMD XP3200+ rig is
running perfectly with XP Home and the 9800 Pro. He's not crashing or
getting graphical glitches. I did.
The real beastie is the 6800 Ultra. But I can't see $500 for that one,
even if I can get it in two days. I can see $400 for the GT though.
That one seems the sweet spot for all the goodies at more than
reasonable speed for somewhat more reasonable money.
My next mobo/CPU swapout will be with an AMD64. Not sure which mobo or
CPU yet, but I am sure that's the way I'm going next time. I *want* to
give the AMD64 (with on-die memory controller) a workin out!
Oh, 1280x1024 is the native res for both my LCD monitors. Yet, both
work perfectly in 1024x768 using monitor scaling. But I'm running the
games in 1280x1024 if they have that res.
Later!
McG.
December 28, 2004 4:50:02 PM

sie wrote:

> dont go mad here....theres no point buying a hot gfx card for it to
> bottle neck through your other components...your FULL spec is required
> to make an accurate choice otherwise you will not see any
> difference..

i prefer ATI as i have an 9800 pro but the
> driver history sux...i have two gf 3 ti 500 which still play excellnt
> and are a real bargain...however your spec would be appreciated

I assume you replied to me, so here is your answer:

nforce2 chipset,(400mhz FSB) XP3200 AMD, 1 gig PC3200 mem ata133 IDE HDs
FPS running timedemo in quake jumped from 250 or so to 320 or so when I
switched from G4 Ti4200 to 6600GT.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 11:19:01 PM

one other thing q3 and other open gl games prefer nvidia chips but i read
later games run hotter on ATI cards.

!