Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 Duo T5600 (1.83 Ghz) vs Athlon 64 3500 (2.2ghz)

Last response: in CPUs
June 17, 2007 10:22:40 AM

My desktop is an Athlon 64 3500 (newcastle), and the laptop I'm thinking of getting is the Core 2 Duo T5600 (1.83 GHz). both would be using 1 GB RAM.

What sort of differnce should I see (both running XP)?
June 17, 2007 10:46:12 AM

Quote:
My desktop is an Athlon 64 3500 (newcastle), and the laptop I'm thinking of getting is the Core 2 Duo T5600 (1.83 GHz). both would be using 1 GB RAM.

What sort of differnce should I see (both running XP)?

Well you don't mention what video cards they both have?.?.

I went from a similiar single core AMD desktop with decend NVidia video card to a dell 1505 with a Core 2 Duo T5600 with a decent ati video card.... I don't play games so I can't give you any fps comparison, but I can tell you under everyday use, the laptop is slower.... An intel laptop only has a 667mhz bus compared to the HT bus I had with AMD.... I had no problem multi-tasking heavily with the desktop, but the laptop is a little slugish.... Also the dvd burner is alot slower naturally....

I hope this helps....
June 17, 2007 10:47:45 AM

That C2D will run circles around the single core Athlon 64.
Related resources
June 17, 2007 10:52:23 AM

Quote:
I hope this helps....

well, it would if I hadn't read this:-

Quote:

Who do I believe :p 

thanks for replies 8)
June 17, 2007 11:11:29 AM

Quote:
I hope this helps....

well, it would if I hadn't read this:-

Quote:

Who do I believe :p 

thanks for replies 8)

in general terms, just talking about the cpu - yes a core 2 duo is alot faster than a single core athlon.... Buy we are comparing a desktop computer to a laptop computer....

computers are more than a cpu - they also have motherboard chipsets with buses, video cards, ram memory, etc.... Notebooks in general are alot slower than desktops.... That is why people that play games own desktops....

If we were comparing an AMD desktop to a core 2 duo desktop - the intel wins(generally)....
If we were comparing an AMD laptop to a core 2 duo laptop - the intel wins(generally)....
But we are comparing a desktop to a laptop....

ps. there is a BIG difference between a core 2 duo laptop(667 mhz) chip, and a core 2 duo desktop(1066 mhz) chip.... What are you gonna use the laptop for? I liked both computers....
June 17, 2007 4:38:18 PM

In my expereince a dual core almost always outperforms a single core in real world use. So if your only comparing the cpus, the laptop has the edge. But it depends on what kinda software your running, in multi threaded apps the c2d will have a big edge in performance while single threaded apps will be very close. . But a PC is a system so you have other components that effect the overall performance. laptops have slower hard drives, memory and usualy gpus, they also dont overclock well. So its very hard to say which will perform better for you without knowing more info about your system and software your going to be using.

p.s. if your motherboard is s939 and can handle a dual core, you should pick one up before the s939 chips area all gone. A 3800x2 or Opty 165 can be had for under $100 , but they wont be around for much longer.
!