Just started a blaster....

My first character in coH was a gimpy blaster that got to about level
12 before i abandoned him for my trusty claw/regen scrapper, Cat
Ninetails (Vict.)

Played around with a MC/Kin controller, currently 17 , Grandfather Man
(Vict) but i just started Power Barbie (Prot), an energy/energy blaster
that's out of this world!

All the knockback in Energy means she's highly soloable, and with even
one other Energy/energy blaster, the teamings been great so far.
Around Level 5, she toured the hollows with Two other E/E blasters and
no one else; it was raining +2 Trolls and Outcast all through the
lowlands of Cherry Hills, and no one died. No good guys, anyway.

My questions: what power pools do you guys recommend for her? probably
Fitness, Flying, maybe Fighting, but then what? (BTW, i like to have a
RP rationale for power choices, and these three fill the bill, ie she
is a Mutant, develops the power to channel some kind of cosmic energy
and it keeps her healthy, strong and ......airborne? Little help from
the story geeks out there?

and:

she just hit lvl 8, and took Build Up, which has saved my ass a couple
of times, but I don't like the long recharge time. Can Build Up be
made Perma? How many recharge DOs, SOs will it take? Will i have room
for some Enhance ToHit Buffs?

Thanks,

Sean
37 answers Last reply
More about just started blaster
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible. At 30, Cat
    Ninetails doesn't have it yet, but she's never out of attacks unless
    she's seriously Slowed, so I'm not sure in her case if it's needed...

    I guess if I take Hasten with the blaster...it affects recharge on
    Build Up, so it pops more often, but how close is that to being perma?
    (assuming i've reached permaHasten)...

    Sean
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 19 Apr 2005 12:33:09 -0700, seansmith999@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible.

    Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
    going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    seansmith999@hotmail.com wrote:
    > (Vict) but i just started Power Barbie (Prot), an energy/energy blaster
    > that's out of this world!
    >
    > All the knockback in Energy means she's highly soloable, and with even
    > one other Energy/energy blaster, the teamings been great so far.

    I've had great luck with electric/energy.

    > My questions: what power pools do you guys recommend for her?

    Fitness, Hasten and a travel power (I took Super Speed).

    > she just hit lvl 8, and took Build Up, which has saved my ass a couple
    > of times, but I don't like the long recharge time. Can Build Up be
    > made Perma? How many recharge DOs, SOs will it take? Will i have room
    > for some Enhance ToHit Buffs?

    Get Hasten asap and give it at least one slot each round, so that you're
    ready for 4-5 SOs when you get there. In the meantime, carry one recharge
    and the rest ToHits in Build Up.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >>Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible.

    > Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
    > going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.

    I'd disagree; it lets you dispense with Rec's on all powers and use those
    slots for more "useful" power-ups. For soloing in particular, having
    everything recharge so much faster is, if not indispensable, the next thing
    to it. I don't think I could have soloed Glory past 20 without it, and
    that's a similar build.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 13 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    <seansmith999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible. At 30, Cat
    > Ninetails doesn't have it yet, but she's never out of attacks unless
    > she's seriously Slowed, so I'm not sure in her case if it's needed...
    >
    > I guess if I take Hasten with the blaster...it affects recharge on
    > Build Up, so it pops more often, but how close is that to being perma?
    > (assuming i've reached permaHasten)...

    Not even close.

    Build Up lasts for 10 seconds, which is enough time for 2-3 shots.
    Unaltered recharge time is 90 seconds. My main has perma-hasten and a SO
    recharge time slotted in Build Up. It comes back every 35-40 seconds (I
    haven't timed it).

    Also, the game can only be set to automatically restart one power.
    (usually that power is hasten) That means only one of your powerscan truly
    be "perma". You have to remember to fire off all the others.

    Moreover, 6x recharge SOs in a power will only cut its recharge time to an
    average of 1/3 of what it was before. The best you can get is having Build
    Up available 10 seconds out of every 30. This drops to more like 25 seconds
    if you fire it off manually and have perma-hasten. But that's a tall order.
    6 SO's invested in Build Up and another 6 invested in hasten.

    My character invested 6 SOs in Hasten and another 6 in Conserve Power. That
    represented a major investment of funds for a 22nd level chaarcter. I may
    well have cheated myself out of offensive damage done by my character's
    powers.

    Now the character is level 24 and I'm getting more inclined to save money
    for level 30 SOs when he hits level 27 than to buy level 25 SOs now.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
    Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
    > Build Up lasts for 10 seconds, which is enough time for 2-3 shots.
    > Unaltered recharge time is 90 seconds. My main has perma-hasten and a
    > SO recharge time slotted in Build Up. It comes back every 35-40
    > seconds (I haven't timed it).

    I have two ToHits (or three?) and one Recharge, plus permaHasten. It does
    take some planning to fire BU just before a Zapp/Bolts combo, but not much.
    And I'd say my recycle time is around 30 seconds. I know that I can do a
    BU/Zapp/Bolts cycle, finish up with more ranged shots and a melee coup de
    grace, and be ready for the cycle again without any undue waiting.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 13 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:45:36 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >>>Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible.
    >
    >> Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
    >> going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.
    >
    >I'd disagree; it lets you dispense with Rec's on all powers and use those
    >slots for more "useful" power-ups. For soloing in particular, having
    >everything recharge so much faster is, if not indispensable, the next thing
    >to it. I don't think I could have soloed Glory past 20 without it, and
    >that's a similar build.

    Depends on the build and/or AT. Tankers in particular don't need to
    be spamming their attacks too fast, most of their defenses are
    END-heavy and those need to stay running. They just need to fire off
    an attack at normal speed to keep the punchvoke going.

    Controllers IMO benefit alot (possibly the most) from Hasten, being
    able to rapid-fire spam off your holds can make a huge difference. It
    obviously helps scrappers and blasters too, but they tend to do one
    thing (damage) and have multiple powers that all do that one thing in
    different ways. Controllers might have one or two key powers that
    need repeated rapidly, thats where a 70% recharge boost comes in handy
    the most.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
    > "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
    >> Build Up lasts for 10 seconds, which is enough time for 2-3 shots.
    >> Unaltered recharge time is 90 seconds. My main has perma-hasten and a
    >> SO recharge time slotted in Build Up. It comes back every 35-40
    >> seconds (I haven't timed it).
    >
    > I have two ToHits (or three?) and one Recharge, plus permaHasten. It does
    > take some planning to fire BU just before a Zapp/Bolts combo, but not
    > much.
    > And I'd say my recycle time is around 30 seconds. I know that I can do a
    > BU/Zapp/Bolts cycle, finish up with more ranged shots and a melee coup de
    > grace, and be ready for the cycle again without any undue waiting.

    I have both Aim and Build Up. Both give accuracy and damage bonuses (BU
    accenting damage and Aim accenting accuracy), so it's BU, Aim, Zapp.
    One-shot-kills any whites, comes close on yellows and oranges. I usually
    have a lightning followup queued and consider charged bolts after that. By
    then BU and Aim have run their course and I'm back to normal.

    I was along on a Terra Volta respec trial where one of the 8 heroes was a
    29th level Controller (exemped) and the rest were 25 and 26 (with me at 24!)
    facing 30's and 31's during the door mission part. The only time I could
    effectively engage the bad guys was when I had the Aim and Build Up combo
    going. The rest of the time, I tried, but hit about 1 in 4 times and moved
    life bars just a nudge or two. I'd usually need 2-3 Aim+BU rounds to take
    down one opponent. Thank the gods for the level 27 invulnerable scrapper
    and the level 26 fire tanker. They got the rest of us through the mission.

    Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial within a
    preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level character join the
    respec. Exemping doesn't help either.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
    Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:39:36 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:

    > Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial
    > within a preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level
    > character join the respec. Exemping doesn't help either.

    Ummmm...as long as they exemplar before you start the TF, there
    shouldn't be a problem; they're treated as the level to which they
    exemplared. I've done countless respec TFs with an exemplared party
    member and their presence never caused any sort of disproportionate
    level spawn.

    --
    Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
    Robotech_Master |
    | http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Robotech_Master" <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:39:36 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial
    >> within a preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level
    >> character join the respec. Exemping doesn't help either.
    >
    > Ummmm...as long as they exemplar before you start the TF, there
    > shouldn't be a problem; they're treated as the level to which they
    > exemplared. I've done countless respec TFs with an exemplared party
    > member and their presence never caused any sort of disproportionate
    > level spawn.

    This character was exemplared before. The people running the show were
    pretty careful about that.

    Facing 30's and 31's with the next-highest character at 27th level, I'd say
    it didn't take.

    Just before the reactor part of the mission, everybody logged off then back
    on except one to reduce the difficulty level. The one was the level 26
    tanker though it should have been my character (24). Unfortunately, when
    the level 29 logged back in, she was dumped from the team and couldn't
    continue.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
    Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:45:36 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >>>Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible.
    >
    >> Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
    >> going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.
    >
    >I'd disagree; it lets you dispense with Rec's on all powers and use those
    >slots for more "useful" power-ups. For soloing in particular, having
    >everything recharge so much faster is, if not indispensable, the next thing
    >to it. I don't think I could have soloed Glory past 20 without it, and
    >that's a similar build.

    My Blaster was 32 without Hasten before I dropped her. I didn't pick
    up Hasten on my MA/Reg scrapper until 45, and the only change in
    taking it was I could drop an attack power (Along with a bit of a DPS
    boost). I could have continued as I was without it just fine. Take
    more attacks, and you shouldn't have to worry about waiting on
    everything to recharge.

    Like I said, it helps, but it's far from vital.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    seansmith999@hotmail.com looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
    spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    <snip>
    >she just hit lvl 8, and took Build Up, which has saved my ass a couple
    >of times, but I don't like the long recharge time. Can Build Up be
    >made Perma? How many recharge DOs, SOs will it take? Will i have room
    >for some Enhance ToHit Buffs?

    Hasten ASAP. I took it at level 6 I think and slotted it up fairly
    quickly - even with SOs to make it perma, when you can fire up hasten
    you can unleash a whole lot of hurting on the baddies.
    Enough that the energy/device blaster I made on Liberty as a change of
    pace from my main scrapper soloed Frostfire pretty easily.

    For travel powers, it's really up to personal preference.
    SS is good, but has no vertical movement which can be a real pain in the
    ass (as i'm finding with the new MA/SR who went the SS route) though the
    stealth-lite effect can be VERY nice.

    Hover/Fly can be a godsend for a blaster - you're squishy and want to
    stay out of range of those hard hitting melee attacks. SS can do this
    as well, but with a lot more running around, and if you get hit by a lag
    spike or disconnect, you aren't running anymore.

    Build up _can't_ be made perma.

    On my MA/reg scrapper main I actually did slot up the ma version with 6
    rechargers as well as having perma hasten.

    There will still be a 15 second downtime before it will be ready again.

    Xocyll
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Jon Slamm <bite@mybutt.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
    porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:45:36 -0000, Shenanigunner
    ><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >>> Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
    >>> going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.
    >>
    >>I'd disagree; it lets you dispense with Rec's on all powers and use those
    >>slots for more "useful" power-ups. For soloing in particular, having
    >>everything recharge so much faster is, if not indispensable, the next thing
    >>to it. I don't think I could have soloed Glory past 20 without it, and
    >>that's a similar build.
    >
    >Depends on the build and/or AT.

    But since this thread is about an Energy Blaster in particular.

    >Tankers in particular don't need to
    >be spamming their attacks too fast, most of their defenses are
    >END-heavy and those need to stay running. They just need to fire off
    >an attack at normal speed to keep the punchvoke going.

    This is only true if you subscribe to the "tank as meatshield" theory
    where the tanker doesn't do damage, the rest of the party does.

    This most certainly does NOT include all tankers.

    My tanker (Kraiisahka, parked at 34 since the graphics give me a
    headache) is a full out, designed for solo, offense machine using
    hasten.
    All shields and attacks have an end reducer in them, and she can go
    several minutes full out before getting close to running out of end (at
    which point I just slow down the attacks a bit to recover.)

    Punchvoke and the aggro invinc generates means that she could also
    function perfectly well in a team, but her job in a team is not
    meatshield, it's front line assault.
    A provoked mob might change targets and go after a squishie, a dead mob
    doesn't have that option.

    During the Striga Taskforce (Volcano), the only deaths in the team were
    blasters who kept running off on their own, or got into melee range of
    bosses instead of staying back where they belonged.

    >Controllers IMO benefit alot (possibly the most) from Hasten, being
    >able to rapid-fire spam off your holds can make a huge difference. It
    >obviously helps scrappers and blasters too, but they tend to do one
    >thing (damage) and have multiple powers that all do that one thing in
    >different ways. Controllers might have one or two key powers that
    >need repeated rapidly, thats where a 70% recharge boost comes in handy
    >the most.

    Any AT that is doing damage to the mobs and/or is soloing can get a gain
    from hasten.
    There are a few specific builds _designed_ not to use hasten.
    [I played one - using Thunderkick/Air Superiority/Crippling Axe Kick for
    a seamless attack chain without hasten (all 3 attacks took 2 seconds to
    do and 4 seconds to recharge).]

    Even the designed to be hastenless builds can get a gain from hasten,
    since it counteracts slowing effects (swarms, council Galaxys, ice
    attacks, etc, that would otherwise completely bollux their attack
    chains.)

    Xocyll
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    <snip>
    >Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial within a
    >preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level character join the
    >respec. Exemping doesn't help either.

    To expand on this slightly - have any range you want, BUT make sure all
    the damage-dealers are the same level (or 1off) and that level is the
    highest in the party.

    A -5 bubbler will still be an asset to the team, a -5
    scrapper/tanker/balster won't be hitting much.

    Xocyll
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:39:36 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial
    >> within a preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level
    >> character join the respec. Exemping doesn't help either.
    >
    >Ummmm...as long as they exemplar before you start the TF, there
    >shouldn't be a problem; they're treated as the level to which they
    >exemplared. I've done countless respec TFs with an exemplared party
    >member and their presence never caused any sort of disproportionate
    >level spawn.

    You may have just gotten lucky and/or you may have hit a creature cap -
    where it _would_ have spawned them at a much higher level to match the
    exemplared guy's real level, but the mob types max level didn't go that
    high.

    There's all kinds of examples where exemplaring just doesn't really take
    when it comes to generating mobs - their real level is used instead - it
    keeps appearing in the forums as people find yet another example (or a
    known one that they hit for the first time.)

    Xocyll
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > > Hasten ASAP. I took it at level 6 I think and slotted it up fairly
    > > quickly - even with SOs to make it perma, when you can fire up
    hasten
    > > you can unleash a whole lot of hurting on the baddies.
    >
    > How do Hasten and Quickness compare? I can't find any data on the
    recharge
    > rates for the latter. Hasten is 35%; Quickness is "a small amount."
    Doesn't
    > sound like it's worth taking, to be honest - either take Hasten or
    neither.

    I'm not completely sure, but it seem to be about half as effective as
    Hasten. Still pretty handy. Where Hasten give about 2 SO Attack Rate,
    I'd guess Quickness gives 1. This will allow you to use fewer
    resources to get PB, Hasten, and Elude perma'd.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > "Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > I'm not completely sure, but it seem to be about half as effective
    as
    > > Hasten. Still pretty handy. Where Hasten give about 2 SO Attack
    Rate,
    > > I'd guess Quickness gives 1. This will allow you to use fewer
    > > resources to get PB, Hasten, and Elude perma'd.
    >
    > I don't see that - you can take Hasten at what, 6? And without taking
    any
    > other Speed pool powers. So you can start putting slots in there
    around 10-
    > 12 and have 3-4 in there by the time you're to SOs. Quickness you
    can't
    > take until 16(?), so you'll be later getting it slotted. The only
    advantage
    > I can see is that Hasten means using one of your pool power choices;
    no
    > biggie given the huge advantages.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    I can get perma-Practiced Brawler with one green SO, perma-hasten with
    5 green SOs, and Perma-Elude with 4 green SOs. I think you'll use
    another slot on each those powers to get them perma'd without
    Quickness.

    With Elude that leaves 2 slots for defense. Without quickness you'll
    need to 5 slot Attack Rates and only 1 slot for Defense. Elude alone
    makes quickness well worth the power slot (at least for me).
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner wrote:

    > I don't see that - you can take Hasten at what, 6? And without taking
    any
    > other Speed pool powers. So you can start putting slots in there
    around 10-
    > 12 and have 3-4 in there by the time you're to SOs. Quickness you
    can't
    > take until 16(?), so you'll be later getting it slotted. The only
    advantage
    > I can see is that Hasten means using one of your pool power choices;
    no
    > biggie given the huge advantages.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    Sorry for the double response, but I am talking about getting both
    Hasten and Quickness. Quickness by itself isn't much to speak of, but
    added to Hasten you get a nice Attack Rate bonus.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner wrote:

    > So Quickness, left one-slotted, builds on Hasten and lets you use one
    fewer
    > slot across the board? Goddit.

    Right. You'd never want to add slots to it (unless you need to
    increase run speed without getting SS).
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <Sen9e.3501$J12.1422@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, Vorlonagent wrote:
    > This character was exemplared before. The people running the show were
    > pretty careful about that.
    >
    > Facing 30's and 31's with the next-highest character at 27th level, I'd say
    > it didn't take.
    >
    > Just before the reactor part of the mission, everybody logged off then back
    > on except one to reduce the difficulty level. The one was the level 26
    > tanker though it should have been my character (24). Unfortunately, when
    > the level 29 logged back in, she was dumped from the team and couldn't
    > continue.

    Did you remember to lower your difficulty ratings? The Terra Volta trial
    takes into account your difficulty rating, so one person set on
    Unyeilding or Invincible, especially if it's the leader, can end you all
    up in a world of hurt.

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:05:50 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
    wrote:
    >Jon Slamm <bite@mybutt.com> wrote:
    >
    >>It obviously helps scrappers and blasters too
    >
    >Any AT that is doing damage to the mobs and/or is soloing can get a gain
    >from hasten.

    I say "it helps damage dealers too", you follow up with "no, it
    *helps* damage dealers".

    Usenet is a wonderful place...
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > Hasten ASAP. I took it at level 6 I think and slotted it up fairly
    > quickly - even with SOs to make it perma, when you can fire up hasten
    > you can unleash a whole lot of hurting on the baddies.

    How do Hasten and Quickness compare? I can't find any data on the recharge
    rates for the latter. Hasten is 35%; Quickness is "a small amount." Doesn't
    sound like it's worth taking, to be honest - either take Hasten or neither.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 14 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I'm not completely sure, but it seem to be about half as effective as
    > Hasten. Still pretty handy. Where Hasten give about 2 SO Attack Rate,
    > I'd guess Quickness gives 1. This will allow you to use fewer
    > resources to get PB, Hasten, and Elude perma'd.

    I don't see that - you can take Hasten at what, 6? And without taking any
    other Speed pool powers. So you can start putting slots in there around 10-
    12 and have 3-4 in there by the time you're to SOs. Quickness you can't
    take until 16(?), so you'll be later getting it slotted. The only advantage
    I can see is that Hasten means using one of your pool power choices; no
    biggie given the huge advantages.

    What am I missing?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 14 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Sorry for the double response, but I am talking about getting both
    > Hasten and Quickness. Quickness by itself isn't much to speak of, but
    > added to Hasten you get a nice Attack Rate bonus.

    So Quickness, left one-slotted, builds on Hasten and lets you use one fewer
    slot across the board? Goddit.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 14 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Jon Slamm <bite@mybutt.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
    porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:05:50 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
    >wrote:
    >>Jon Slamm <bite@mybutt.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It obviously helps scrappers and blasters too
    >>
    >>Any AT that is doing damage to the mobs and/or is soloing can get a gain
    >>from hasten.
    >
    >I say "it helps damage dealers too", you follow up with "no, it
    >*helps* damage dealers".

    No, you said blasters and scrappers, I said "any AT that is doing damage
    and/or is soloing", there's a very large difference between the two.

    You seems to be stuck in the early mindset of blasters and scrappers
    hurt things, tankers play meatshield, controllers lock things down, and
    defenders buff.

    It may comes as news to you that people play all 5 ATs as soloists and
    are the only damage dealers in their party-of-one.

    If you're doing damage, hasten helps.

    Xocyll
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> Hasten ASAP. I took it at level 6 I think and slotted it up fairly
    >> quickly - even with SOs to make it perma, when you can fire up hasten
    >> you can unleash a whole lot of hurting on the baddies.
    >
    >How do Hasten and Quickness compare? I can't find any data on the recharge
    >rates for the latter. Hasten is 35%; Quickness is "a small amount." Doesn't
    >sound like it's worth taking, to be honest - either take Hasten or neither.

    Well going by the numbers in Hero Planner
    Hasten is listed as a reduction in time by 58.8%.
    Quickness is listed as a 20% haste.

    From what i've heard quickness is th equivalent of one recharge in
    hasten (to perma) so you only need 5 (or 6 non green).

    Since I'm running with limited attacks recharge is kind of important.

    While I was running with 2 recharge DOs per attack, i'm not now, and
    even when hasten is up, there's a very noticible difference.
    Quickness should offset that and give me the faster attacks I need.
    Plus it's a passive - so it's practically free.

    Xocyll
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "sw" <sw@eyrie.org> wrote in message

    > Did you remember to lower your difficulty ratings? The Terra Volta trial
    > takes into account your difficulty rating, so one person set on
    > Unyeilding or Invincible, especially if it's the leader, can end you all
    > up in a world of hurt.

    I don't remember.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
    Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Vorlonagent wrote...
    > "Robotech_Master" <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote...
    > > Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial
    > >> within a preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level
    > >> character join the respec. Exemping doesn't help either.
    > >
    > > Ummmm...as long as they exemplar before you start the TF, there
    > > shouldn't be a problem; they're treated as the level to which they
    > > exemplared. I've done countless respec TFs with an exemplared party
    > > member and their presence never caused any sort of disproportionate
    > > level spawn.
    >
    > This character was exemplared before. The people running the show were
    > pretty careful about that.
    >
    > Facing 30's and 31's with the next-highest character at 27th level, I'd say
    > it didn't take.
    >
    > Just before the reactor part of the mission, everybody logged off then back
    > on except one to reduce the difficulty level. The one was the level 26
    > tanker though it should have been my character (24). Unfortunately, when
    > the level 29 logged back in, she was dumped from the team and couldn't
    > continue.

    Here's the math for the respec trial:

    Mission level = level of the highest level member + 1 + (difficulty
    level of the team leader) + (add 1 if 6 or more members in the team)

    The reactor core is different, the mobs there are 2 levels lower than
    what the above equation would give.

    So with 8 team members, had the 29 not been exemplared, at minimum, you
    would have been fighting 31s and 32s. Odds are the team leader goofed
    and had a difficult of rugged or unyielding.

    Also logging no longer appears to affect tf/trial mission levels. It
    seems to calculate off all team members, regardless of whether they are
    online currently, or not. Which is rather annoying since if someone is
    offline you can't kick them off the team...

    Zoiks!
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:13:16 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    >Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
    >of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >
    >>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:39:36 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial
    >>> within a preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level
    >>> character join the respec. Exemping doesn't help either.
    >>
    >>Ummmm...as long as they exemplar before you start the TF, there
    >>shouldn't be a problem; they're treated as the level to which they
    >>exemplared. I've done countless respec TFs with an exemplared party
    >>member and their presence never caused any sort of disproportionate
    >>level spawn.
    >
    >You may have just gotten lucky and/or you may have hit a creature cap -
    >where it _would_ have spawned them at a much higher level to match the
    >exemplared guy's real level, but the mob types max level didn't go that
    >high.
    >
    >There's all kinds of examples where exemplaring just doesn't really take
    >when it comes to generating mobs - their real level is used instead - it
    >keeps appearing in the forums as people find yet another example (or a
    >known one that they hit for the first time.)

    I can tell you that I exemplared Roboneko for a respec TF a few weeks
    ago, and it worked fine. It was the first respec, and the exemplaring
    took Robo's level down from 36 to 26, with the highest in the group of 8
    being 27(IIRC). There didn't seem to be an outrageous number of enemies,
    their levels were reasonable, and the taskforce went pretty smoothly. If
    any enemies had been +10, we would have noticed, believe me.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:27:53 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> I'm not completely sure, but it seem to be about half as effective as
    >> Hasten. Still pretty handy. Where Hasten give about 2 SO Attack Rate,
    >> I'd guess Quickness gives 1. This will allow you to use fewer
    >> resources to get PB, Hasten, and Elude perma'd.
    >
    >I don't see that - you can take Hasten at what, 6? And without taking any
    >other Speed pool powers. So you can start putting slots in there around 10-
    >12 and have 3-4 in there by the time you're to SOs. Quickness you can't
    >take until 16(?), so you'll be later getting it slotted. The only advantage
    >I can see is that Hasten means using one of your pool power choices; no
    >biggie given the huge advantages.
    >
    >What am I missing?

    Hasten costs end, while Quickness boosts your end recovery so it costs
    you nothing. It also stacks with hasten, so there's no reason you can't
    have both.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:27:53 -0000, Shenanigunner
    ><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
    >
    >>"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>> I'm not completely sure, but it seem to be about half as effective as
    >>> Hasten. Still pretty handy. Where Hasten give about 2 SO Attack Rate,
    >>> I'd guess Quickness gives 1. This will allow you to use fewer
    >>> resources to get PB, Hasten, and Elude perma'd.
    >>
    >>I don't see that - you can take Hasten at what, 6? And without taking any
    >>other Speed pool powers. So you can start putting slots in there around 10-
    >>12 and have 3-4 in there by the time you're to SOs. Quickness you can't
    >>take until 16(?), so you'll be later getting it slotted. The only advantage
    >>I can see is that Hasten means using one of your pool power choices; no
    >>biggie given the huge advantages.
    >>
    >>What am I missing?
    >
    >Hasten costs end, while Quickness boosts your end recovery so it costs
    >you nothing. It also stacks with hasten, so there's no reason you can't
    >have both.

    I think you've misunderstood.
    We're talking about Quickness from the Super Reflexes set, not Quick
    Recovery of the Regen set.
    Quickness is recharge and run speed.

    Xocyll
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:26:52 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    >Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >
    >>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:27:53 -0000, Shenanigunner
    >><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >>>I don't see that - you can take Hasten at what, 6? And without taking any
    >>>other Speed pool powers. So you can start putting slots in there around 10-
    >>>12 and have 3-4 in there by the time you're to SOs. Quickness you can't
    >>>take until 16(?), so you'll be later getting it slotted. The only advantage
    >>>I can see is that Hasten means using one of your pool power choices; no
    >>>biggie given the huge advantages.
    >>>
    >>>What am I missing?
    >>
    >>Hasten costs end, while Quickness boosts your end recovery so it costs
    >>you nothing. It also stacks with hasten, so there's no reason you can't
    >>have both.
    >
    >I think you've misunderstood.
    >We're talking about Quickness from the Super Reflexes set, not Quick
    >Recovery of the Regen set.
    >Quickness is recharge and run speed.

    And it was my understanding that it includes an endurance recovery boost
    sufficient to ensure that you don't run out just because you're using
    your powers faster. I could certainly be wrong about that, but that's
    the impression I had from discussions on the boards from last year.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 19 Apr 2005 10:51:14 -0700, seansmith999@hotmail.com scribed into the
    ether:

    >she just hit lvl 8, and took Build Up, which has saved my ass a couple
    >of times, but I don't like the long recharge time. Can Build Up be
    >made Perma? How many recharge DOs, SOs will it take? Will i have room
    >for some Enhance ToHit Buffs?

    Build Up cannot be made Perma, but you can reduce the downtime by quite a
    bit. 6 recharges in Build Up, and permahasten gives something like 15-20
    seconds of downtime.

    Be aware that the relative benefit of Build Up gets lower and lower the
    higher your level, and if you team a lot, the value drops even lower still.
    It only enhances BASE damage of an attack, which is quite a jump when you
    are slotted with training enhancements, but a 5-6 SO slotted power and the
    boost isn't nearly as noticeable. There is also the 400% damage cap to
    consider. Max damage slotting + a good kinetics defender can put you at the
    cap in a hurry, in which case Build Up is just wasted endurance.

    I've always gotten along really well with 2 rechargeredux in Build Up, with
    or without Hasten. It's enough to have it up a lot, but not such an insane
    amount of slotting. That is somewhat dependant on your build...with my
    Scrapper, if I could get 20 more slots, I'd easily find a use for them.
    More than 2 slots in Build Up is a grotesque extravagance that hurts my
    overall build quite badly.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:03:45 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

    >Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> Hasten ASAP. I took it at level 6 I think and slotted it up fairly
    >> quickly - even with SOs to make it perma, when you can fire up hasten
    >> you can unleash a whole lot of hurting on the baddies.
    >
    >How do Hasten and Quickness compare? I can't find any data on the recharge
    >rates for the latter. Hasten is 35%; Quickness is "a small amount." Doesn't
    >sound like it's worth taking, to be honest - either take Hasten or neither.

    Quickness is a passive, and doesn't require massive slotting.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:26:52 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >>>Hasten costs end, while Quickness boosts your end recovery so it costs
    >>>you nothing. It also stacks with hasten, so there's no reason you can't
    >>>have both.
    >>
    >>I think you've misunderstood.
    >>We're talking about Quickness from the Super Reflexes set, not Quick
    >>Recovery of the Regen set.
    >>Quickness is recharge and run speed.
    >
    >And it was my understanding that it includes an endurance recovery boost
    >sufficient to ensure that you don't run out just because you're using
    >your powers faster. I could certainly be wrong about that, but that's
    >the impression I had from discussions on the boards from last year.

    As far as I can tell it doesn't.
    I'm burning through end faster than ever, even with the upgrade from DOs
    to SOs in stamina (3 so far).

    Xocyll
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >On 19 Apr 2005 10:51:14 -0700, seansmith999@hotmail.com scribed into the
    >ether:
    >

    >>she just hit lvl 8, and took Build Up, which has saved my ass a couple
    >>of times, but I don't like the long recharge time. Can Build Up be
    >>made Perma? How many recharge DOs, SOs will it take? Will i have room
    >>for some Enhance ToHit Buffs?
    >
    >Build Up cannot be made Perma, but you can reduce the downtime by quite a
    >bit. 6 recharges in Build Up, and permahasten gives something like 15-20
    >seconds of downtime.
    >
    >Be aware that the relative benefit of Build Up gets lower and lower the
    >higher your level, and if you team a lot, the value drops even lower still.
    >It only enhances BASE damage of an attack, which is quite a jump when you
    >are slotted with training enhancements, but a 5-6 SO slotted power and the
    >boost isn't nearly as noticeable. There is also the 400% damage cap to
    >consider. Max damage slotting + a good kinetics defender can put you at the
    >cap in a hurry, in which case Build Up is just wasted endurance.

    Other than bouncing off the cap though, build up is the equivalent of 3
    more damage SOs in every attack used while it's up.
    That is a noticeable boost if you're otherwise unenhanced by other
    player powers.

    The Reason I six slotted it in the end game was because it was damn
    handy and helped a lot, both the small acc bonus and the large damage
    bonus.

    Even 2 acc SOs wasn't enough to let me hit death mages reliably once
    they hit me with that debuff as well as their aura up.
    Focus Chi let me get through it.

    >I've always gotten along really well with 2 rechargeredux in Build Up, with
    >or without Hasten. It's enough to have it up a lot, but not such an insane
    >amount of slotting. That is somewhat dependant on your build...with my
    >Scrapper, if I could get 20 more slots, I'd easily find a use for them.
    >More than 2 slots in Build Up is a grotesque extravagance that hurts my
    >overall build quite badly.

    For most builds i'd agree.

    Xocyll
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
    > Be aware that the relative benefit of Build Up gets lower and lower
    > the higher your level, and if you team a lot, the value drops even
    > lower still. It only enhances BASE damage of an attack, which is quite
    > a jump when you are slotted with training enhancements, but a 5-6 SO
    > slotted power and the boost isn't nearly as noticeable. There is also
    > the 400% damage cap to consider. Max damage slotting + a good kinetics
    > defender can put you at the cap in a hurry, in which case Build Up is
    > just wasted endurance.

    I'm still finding it useful at 29 4 SO slots (3 ToHit, 1 Rec) at 29. With
    my attack powers slotted up. I haven't calculated the totals, but I don't
    think I'm too near the cap.

    Since I solo, BU is only useful for a pre-aggro boost to Zapp in most
    cases. It does change the balance by helping take out a heavy (with Zapp
    followed by Bolts under BU) before the main engagement. I rarely try to
    bring it in for use with just the non-interruptible powers.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 13 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

Power Video Games