Was the Super Bowl's HD all 720p?

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 7, 2005 4:01:10 PM

Was the HD portions of the SB entirely all in 720p? I watched it on a
480i/p, 1080i CRT HDTV (converting 720p to 1080i, obviously) but have to say
that the HD looked excellent. Usually, I can tell when 720p content is
being converted to 1080i (i.e., ABC) but the HD content from the SB last
night looked like native native 1080i. (I.e., it looked as great as
"Discovery HD Theater".)

Before kick-off, I switched my cable STB to "pass through" a couple times
(just pass resolutions as broadcasted, which I normally use since it looks
better for 480 than upconverting to 1080i -- but have to switch to 1080i for
720p content such as ABC, Fox) and was greeted by a blue screen (what I'd
expect from 720p). If all the HD portions of this game was entirely in
720p, I have to say I was pretty impressed by how it looked after
upconverting to 1080i...

Now, as for the "excitment rating" of the actual game itself (and the
commercials), well -- thats another subject. :^)

More about : super bowl 720p

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:52:47 PM

You are one of the lucky people who watched the game in HD.Here in Dallas,
Fox's OTA signal is just terrible.
I switched to my non HD Direct TV set up and dreamed of one day getting a
decent OTA broadcast from Fox 4.

"Eras" <none@nospam.none.not> wrote in message
> Was the HD portions of the SB entirely all in 720p? I watched it on a
> 480i/p, 1080i CRT HDTV (converting 720p to 1080i, obviously) but have to
> say
> that the HD looked excellent. Usually, I can tell when 720p content is
> being converted to 1080i (i.e., ABC) but the HD content from the SB last
> night looked like native native 1080i. (I.e., it looked as great as
> "Discovery HD Theater".)
>
> Before kick-off, I switched my cable STB to "pass through" a couple times
> (just pass resolutions as broadcasted, which I normally use since it looks
> better for 480 than upconverting to 1080i -- but have to switch to 1080i
> for
> 720p content such as ABC, Fox) and was greeted by a blue screen (what I'd
> expect from 720p). If all the HD portions of this game was entirely in
> 720p, I have to say I was pretty impressed by how it looked after
> upconverting to 1080i...
>
> Now, as for the "excitment rating" of the actual game itself (and the
> commercials), well -- thats another subject. :^)

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:10:56 PM

Eras wrote:

> Now, as for the "excitment rating" of the actual game itself (and the
> commercials), well -- thats another subject. :^)

At least the halftime show was excellent! McCartney sounded great.

And I really liked some of the commercials. My favorite was McDonalds,
where the guy finds a french fry that looks just like Abraham Lincoln,
then auctions it off for big bucks on Yahoo. Great stuff!
February 8, 2005 7:46:09 PM

I got it over COmcast in Vancouver, WA and am pretty sure it was 1080i. It
looked great.

--
XBL GamerTag: RKRM

XBL Games: XIII, Burnout 3: Takedown, Counter-Strike, Crimson Skies: High
Road to Revenge, ESPN Major League Baseball, ESPN NFL 2K5, ESPN NHL 2K5,
Ghost Recon, GhostRecon2, Halo2, Links 2004, MechAssault, Midtown Madness 3,
NBA 2K3, Rainbow Six 3, Top Spin, Unreal Championship, Xbox Live Arcade

http://users.ign.com/collection/RKR
"Eras" <none@nospam.none.not> wrote in message
> Was the HD portions of the SB entirely all in 720p? I watched it on a
> 480i/p, 1080i CRT HDTV (converting 720p to 1080i, obviously) but have to
> say
> that the HD looked excellent. Usually, I can tell when 720p content is
> being converted to 1080i (i.e., ABC) but the HD content from the SB last
> night looked like native native 1080i. (I.e., it looked as great as
> "Discovery HD Theater".)
>
> Before kick-off, I switched my cable STB to "pass through" a couple times
> (just pass resolutions as broadcasted, which I normally use since it looks
> better for 480 than upconverting to 1080i -- but have to switch to 1080i
> for
> 720p content such as ABC, Fox) and was greeted by a blue screen (what I'd
> expect from 720p). If all the HD portions of this game was entirely in
> 720p, I have to say I was pretty impressed by how it looked after
> upconverting to 1080i...
>
> Now, as for the "excitment rating" of the actual game itself (and the
> commercials), well -- thats another subject. :^)

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:01:56 AM

"John Bowen" wrote in message

> You are one of the lucky people who watched the game in HD.Here in Dallas,
> Fox's OTA signal is just terrible.
> I switched to my non HD Direct TV set up and dreamed of one day getting a
> decent OTA broadcast from Fox 4.

Yeah, I heard from some folks around here that Fox's OTA HD broadcast wasn't
all that great. It wasn't until a couple days before the game that I heard
it would be broadcasted in HD on cable. Prior to that, it wasn't expected
to be broadcasted. (Think they worked out a last minute deal.) It was a
pleasant surprise how well the 720p converted to 1080i. I was expecting to
see some of the "pixilation" that normally see with 720p to 1080i, but the
game looked as if it were in native 1080i.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:05:58 AM

"Jim Gilliland" wrote in message> Eras wrote:

> And I really liked some of the commercials. My favorite was McDonalds,
> where the guy finds a french fry that looks just like Abraham Lincoln,
> then auctions it off for big bucks on Yahoo. Great stuff!

LOL, yeah, that was one ok. Seemed like commercials, for the most part,
were quite tame compared to previous Superbowl commercials though. My
favorite commercials were the referee who's wife screamed at him all day
long, "preparing" him to be screamed at during the game by
players/coaches -- and the (Tostitos?) commercial where the guy's
soon-to-be-bride was watching football with the groom/friends right before
wedding.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:39:07 AM

"John Bowen" <jmbowen4@verizon.net> wrote in message

> You are one of the lucky people who watched the game in HD. Here in
> Dallas, Fox's OTA signal is just terrible.

I agree. I watched Fox 4 OTA. Much of the game looked terrific, however the
camera that was in the center of the field did not appear to be HD. The
grass looked terrible. Blurry perhaps. Somewhat of a disapointment.

Ron

Dallas
!