Sign in with
Your question

how to get two computers on the net

Last response: in Networking
January 7, 2008 4:37:52 AM

Hi guys. We've currently got one computer on the internet. We have a cable going from a phone outlet, to our modem, and then two the computer. And we also have a splitter attatched at another outlet that is used for the phone. Just wondering, if i wanted to connect a second computer downstairs to the internet as well, would i be able to just buy another modem for the 2nd computer, or would a need to buy a better modem that both the computer would connect to.
Thanks heaps.

More about : computers net

January 7, 2008 4:50:47 AM

ahhaha :)  i dont mean to laugh but im glad u asked because the answer is simple. A router, just hook up the modem and run a cable from the modem to the router which then leaves you with 5 open spaces for 5 computers should you wish it. So you will be able to have 2 computers able to connect to the internet at the same time.

any further questions just ask
January 7, 2008 8:36:09 AM

hmm ok...this could be a problem. You see one computer is downstairs and the other is upstairs on the opposite side of the house. There is a phone socket connection thing at each computer, so is it possible to connect each computer to its own phone socket with its own modem? Its just that this would save running wires throughout the house.
Related resources
January 7, 2008 7:11:43 PM

Not really. The modem is how your computer, and soon to be computers, connect to your provider. Your provider gives you a single point of access to the internet, your modem, but they don't care how you split it up on your side. Just like the phone company and your phone line. You pay for one line, but they don't care how many extensions you have in the house on that line and if only 1 person in the house is talking or there are 5 people in on the conversation. If you want 2 seperate lines, you'll pay for the second one, which is what would be happening if you used a second modem. So, that's only a good plan if you want to double what you're paying.

You need to do two things. One, split up that single internet connection so more than one computer can use it, and two, get it to the other side of your house. You'll need a router to share the connection, and you can buy one that has a wireless access point built in, which solves your second problem. Linksys makes a good one, the WAP54g, and you can find it for $50-60. Don't buy the Speed boost variety which is $20 more unless you're planning on sending big files between the computers, which it doesn't sound like you plan on doing. You'll also need a wireless adapter for the second computer so it can connect to the new router. You'll plug your modem into your new router, your computer sitting there plugs into the router, plug you wireless adapter into the second computer and you're set.
January 7, 2008 7:26:16 PM

Thanks heaps, great info.
Anonymous
January 7, 2008 11:06:19 PM

Are you asking about dial-up Internet access or broadband?

Grumpy
January 8, 2008 3:17:46 PM

Thanks for asking that question Gumpy, as it seems we were all assuming it's DSL here.

If it is dial-up, then ignore everthing I wrote above and use this lengthy explanation:

Yes, you can use a second modem on the downstairs computer, but both can't be on at the same time without a second phone line.
January 9, 2008 1:35:58 AM

just get a long wire :) 

my house is 3 stories and i have a wire running to the top floor lol, and another to the middle floor. So it can be done
January 9, 2008 5:43:43 AM

broadband not dile up
Anonymous
January 9, 2008 9:44:21 AM

Just get a wireless router and a wireless USB adapter for the downstairs computer.

Grumpy
February 11, 2009 4:00:12 PM

i may be askin a repetitive question here, but i just bought a computer that is apparently 'internet ready'. My moms computer has a phone line AND a cable line running to, (i believe you called it a router). I want to hook up my computer downstairs. There is a phone jack there, but no cable. Do i need both to run the same internet or just the phone line?

Be as specific as possible pease, though im a genius, im not exactly computer literate. lol.
February 11, 2009 4:05:28 PM

i may be askin a repetitive question here, but i just bought a computer that is apparently 'internet ready'. My moms computer has a phone line AND a cable line running to, (i believe you called it a router). I want to hook up my computer downstairs. There is a phone jack there, but no cable. Do i need both to run the same internet or just the phone line?

Be as specific as possible pease, though im a genius, im not exactly computer literate. lol.
February 12, 2009 9:57:44 PM

jesterzach101 said:

jesterzach101,

the internet service that your mom's computer is DSL or like a 36k modem? that will determine the method of establishing your computers internet connection.
February 13, 2009 1:52:47 AM

ozarkamax said:
jesterzach101,

the internet service that your mom's computer is DSL or like a 36k modem? that will determine the method of establishing your computers internet connection.

i believe its dsl...but good news, i got it hooked up. I went to bestbuy and all i needed was a router, and 50 ft of ethernet cable, and a smaller portion of ethernet cable to connect my moms computer.

I almost bought a wireless one...which was more expensive by like 20 bux...but wouldve been worth it cuz now i need to move my comp more than 50ft away.

but thanks for your help
!