Wireless Network after Vista downgrade

Rain33x

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Hello, I have a Compaq Presario model#C751NR Laptop and after downgrading back to XP(Hated Vista), My little wireless connection button stays red and wont connect wirelessly to my network. I can connect if I manually use the ethernet port. I am guessing it is a driver problem, but I can't seem to find anything. On my device mgr, the only items with question marks are the ethernet controller, SM bus controller, video controller, and video controller(VGA Compatible), I tried letting Windows search online for these once I had the ethernet port working but it came up empty. Thanks in advacne for your help.

-Rain333x

akhilles

Splendid
Oh, I think you forgot to install Compaq drivers from a CD. Dig it out. If you can't find it, go to hp.com, support, punch in your model # for drivers.

If that still doesn't fix it, uninstall the wifi driver from device manager, restart pc, let it install the driver. Some wifi manufacturers use a proprietary front-end that may not work sometimes. Use Windows Wireless service. I use it. Never gave me trouble. Both XP & Vista. The 1st time windows connects to wireless, it asks for a password & will remember it.