Sign in with
Your question

New Card Selection, Need some input!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2007 1:54:24 PM

All,

I am getting ready to build a new system and I am struggling with selecting a graphics card at this time. Any input you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am considering the following three cards and overall wonder what everyone thinks.

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

EVGA 768-P2-N881-AR GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB

The main differences I see are core clock speed and memory speed, it seems foolish to me to buy the N881 version over the N831 version, at 150.00 extra, just for a little extra on the clock speeds, I would think I could get that myself just from a little tweaking, that is if I really wanted it. I think I would rather buy the N831, and buy two of them, than just buy one of the N881. Any thoughts???

Also, as I do not have any experience with EVGA can anyone give me there view on the manufacture, for me, I have only really used ASUS in the past, that was after I gave up working with Diamond cards from way back when, yea, really old systems….

Lastly, and I must admit I haven’t looked much at the 2900 series, can anyone suggest something along the lines of the 2900, that is if it is worth it. I have never been much of a user of ATI series.

Thanks

More about : card selection input

June 17, 2007 2:52:43 PM

it would be foolish to buy the 81 at all, it is to expensive, but it would also be foolish to think the 31 could be overclocked to that speed, because the 81 is voltmodded to allow the higher clock speeds. If i were you, i would get the 31 and clock it to the 35s clocks.
June 17, 2007 3:00:51 PM

eVGA is great. Lifetime warranty, step up program (although the prices on their site are shit), and great service. See the post of eVGA replacing a 7900GT KO 256MB with a 7950GT KO 512MB on an RMA.
Related resources
June 17, 2007 3:26:22 PM

IMO find the cheapest 8800gtx that you can get. Ya could always overclock it a little but its for what it has rather than a minor boost in clock speeds.
June 17, 2007 3:27:00 PM

Quote:

It seems foolish to me to buy the N881 version over the N831 version, at 150.00 extra, just for a little extra on the clock speeds, I would think I could get that myself just from a little tweaking.

You make me proud, son. Finally, an intelligent person who isn't an expert in the field.
June 17, 2007 3:29:49 PM

Thanks to both Rammedstein and Prof_Chaos. Glad to hear that eVGA is a good company, that is very reassuring. Also, as I have never really done any overclocking I really appreciate the insight on the 831 vs 881. I am thinking it may be wise for me to buy the 831, as it should do well in the near term and should hold well over the long term as well. Right now I am thinking I will buy one this year and than, next year, buy the second, any thoughts, right now I think buying the two would be very costly.
June 17, 2007 3:35:55 PM

WOW :D  !

Response time ROCKS! Thanks HatMan and Track, while I was responding the first set of posts you both hit me up with great comments. I am certainly sticking to the 8800GTX, as this is more a gaming system than anything I think it is wise to invest on the front end, and with being able to go out and run the second card in the future it just makes sense. As for being wise, or sorry, intelligent, my thanks for the compliment. As I rarely find it smart to burn money I don't have I really just don't know if I could justify putting out money unless it made a serious impact. Not saying the extra clock speed won't make a difference, again I am no expert, but for the cost, in terms of dollars and cents, hum, or should I say I say sense instead of cents, haha. Anyway, to someone as simple as myself it really doesn't seem to make any sense for the extra cost.
June 17, 2007 3:47:57 PM

You are not simple, my friend. You're just one conspiracy theory away from being one of the few.

Just make sure u have lots of kids so they can gets some good genes.
June 17, 2007 9:13:39 PM

HaHaHaHa!!! Many thanks tracks, I have not dared to reproduce just yet, my wife is worried as to what it may unleash upon the world... But, with respects to the topic at hand, my thanks to everyone, from the sounds of things I am going to buy the EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB, as the price drops, and my demand for performance increases over the next 12 months or so, I will than go and buy a second card and run all out!!! Now onto the MoBo that will support the dual configuration and perhaps even take advantage of this thing I here so much about called SLI!!!!

Thanks again everyone!
August 15, 2007 9:44:20 PM

I just received a new 8600GTS from XFX as a replacement for my 7900GT.
Do you think this is a fair exchange?
!