Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive selection, Suggestions Please!!!

Last response: in Storage
June 17, 2007 2:15:48 PM

I am getting ready to build my new system and basically I was considering buying a 160 Raptor and back it up with one of the two 750Gig drives I was going to purchase. Basically, back up the main drive, and store all my media and such, pics, mp3s, movies, etc, on the first 750 and then run that in a RAID 1 configuration with the second 750 as the back up. So, since this is my first time playing with RAID, and the Raptors, I was looking for some assistance.

Basically,

Is this possible to set the system up like this, stupid question but I thought I would ask.

Any thoughts as to using a single Raptor VS two 80 Raptors in a Raid 0 Setting

As for the 750s I was thinking of going with the HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721075KLA330, seems to be one of the only drives I have seen with the 32MB of cache, is it worth it, and how is Hitachi as a manufacture of drives, I have never used them before.

Can anyone else suggest a different 750Gig drive.

Also, any other thoughts on things I should consider, or suggestions on different ways I should go would be most welcomed.

Thanks
a b G Storage
June 17, 2007 3:36:58 PM

As far as the cache is concerned Tom's has already proven that for normal home use you will see no significant improvement going from 8Mb to 16Mb. The jump to 32Mb in that big 1Tb drive will similarly show little or even no improvement. The higher cache will affect server performance with an NCQ capable drive with large queue depth.

When you ask 'worth it?' do you mean price per Gb? If so then the 1Tb Hitachi is not worth it. you could get the same volume with 3x 500Gb in RAID5 for nearly the same and have really good data security. Alternatively you could get 2x 500Gb for the same volume in RAID JBOD, obviously without the data security but for much less money.

Q
a b G Storage
June 17, 2007 3:40:59 PM

Sorry I mis-read your post. When you specified the model number of the Hitachi I thought it was the 1Tb version not its smaller brother, and that you were considering that as an alternative to the 2x 750's in RAID1.

My bad (but the advice regarding cache stands).

Q
Related resources
June 17, 2007 3:41:39 PM

Okay, my apologies, I never realized the hitachi was a 1T, not really open to spending the much per Gb! This changes the concept a bit as i was really focused on going with two 750Gb drives. Any suggestions manufacture and model. My thanks Flying-Q for picking up on that extreme bit of oversight on my part!
June 17, 2007 3:43:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry I mis-read your post. When you specified the model number of the Hitachi I thought it was the 1Tb version not its smaller brother, and that you were considering that as an alternative to the 2x 750's in RAID1.

My bad (but the advice regarding cache stands).

Q

No worries, it does make me think about things all the same, I still have to figure than, if the Cache isn't making a big difference in performance, and given the concept of what I am looking to set up, what is the best drive in terms of performance and reliability. Cost is the secondary consideration.
a b G Storage
June 17, 2007 3:50:55 PM

I just checked - you have the correct mfr no for the 750 Gb version and there are only 2 alternatives that are widely available for it:

the Seagate 7200.10 750Gb and the Seagate 7200.10 ES 750Gb.

The ES is aimed at the enterprise and SOHO market and has better reliability which naturally comes with a bigger ticket. There is also An HP 750 Gb but that is again enterprise and about 3 x the price of either of those two.

Q
June 17, 2007 3:58:34 PM

Quote:
As far as the cache is concerned Tom's has already proven that for normal home use you will see no significant improvement going from 8Mb to 16Mb.

Using THG Disk Charts to compare the WD 2500JD (8 MB) against the WD 2500KS (16 MB) shows a clear performance advantage to the larger cache and about a 30% better price / perfromance index.
June 17, 2007 9:09:29 PM

Interesting,

Looks like the choice is between the two Seagates and the Hitachi, time to do some digging.

Thanks!
June 19, 2007 12:31:29 PM

Okay,

Need some help here, I am looking at buying either the following drives:

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721075KLA330 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

and I noticed that I could not locate the HITACHI on the harddrive charts here on Toms Hardware, the only thing they have is the 1T drive, not the 750Gig?

Can anyone give me some feedback on there experience.

Thanks
!