Sign in with
Your question

Which Free Firewall

Last response: in Networking
January 7, 2008 7:27:11 PM

Hi,

I am wondering what free firewall software is out there that is really reliable and will do it's job? I have used Zone Alarm before, but wasn't so happy with it. Anyone know anything else?

tbone15
www.miracledrywash.com

More about : free firewall

January 7, 2008 9:54:41 PM

Curious what your problem is with ZoneAlarm, been using it for years.
January 9, 2008 11:47:23 AM

There is a rudimentary firewall built into Windows. I guess it depend on what you're trying to prevent from getting access to your PC through the internet/network.

I have to agree with g-paw, Zone Alarm is probably one of the better ones (even if it's free). However, I didn't like it asking me all the time if I wanted to allow this download or that one. I find I do better with limiting/blocking ports on my router.

I do have a good virus checker/protection program that's free. I hated Norton (sure was hard to get it off the PC once it was installed).

Don't have any other suggestions for free. There are a plethora of hardware firewalls out there. However, they're not free.

Sorry ....:>(
Related resources
January 9, 2008 8:29:00 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with g-paw, Zone Alarm is probably one of the better ones (even if it's free). However, I didn't like it asking me all the time if I wanted to allow this download or that one. I find I do better with limiting/blocking ports on my router.
I prefer using the hardware as the firewall as well. Just block all unused ports (or forward them to .gov sites!)

January 9, 2008 10:38:56 PM

Outpost Firewall is the best.

Other good "free" firewalls include Kerio Sunbelt, Comodo, and Sygate (although Sygate is no longer supported since Symantec bought it).
January 10, 2008 6:18:11 AM

best firewall is windows, followed by using a host file, download hostman or go get mvp host file copy and paste the contents of that host file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\ext\host.
Or you can grab hostman which is a really good way to build your host file. I can say that this is really the best security followed with the know how of wireshark, since becoming a pro at decoding systems security, other terms hacker. I've come to know the people that cause these worries of malware and even gone out of the way and made direct phone calls to the source of a website that was hosting malware. Example of such site is softpidia, PCworld, and even tomshardware. they use xiti which in my opinion has no right to install a tracking cookie of anykind.
So grap yourself hostman, build your hostfile and your worries will be gone, however if you download stuff from a website you still have to check the file out, a good way is by going to Mcfee website and do a online scan of that file.
Anti-virus programs too me are useless I've seen just as many people complain that they are infected and were using the top of the line virus scanner, even better complaint is how the virus program is slowing down their machines.
When all a person really has to do is build the host file up, that host file ain't something new 95/98/xp/vista all install a host file its just most pep did not know that or did not know how to use it.
January 10, 2008 12:40:04 PM

Quote:
Anti-virus programs too me are useless I've seen just as many people complain that they are infected and were using the top of the line virus scanner, even better complaint is how the virus program is slowing down their machines.
When all a person really has to do is build the host file up, that host file ain't something new 95/98/xp/vista all install a host file its just most pep did not know that or did not know how to use it.
Haha, I love the people that use Norton and say: "One time my computer was going slow. I think I have a virus!" Then they go and set it to scan whenever the computer remains idle for 5 minutes.
!