Help! Installed X2 3800+ but won't boot up!

morgan20

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I recently upgraded my 3500+ AMD 64 to a AMD x2 64 3800+ Toledo core... I installed and it booted up no problems and the computer ran for about 5-6 hrs, then crashed...and crashed...and crashed...now the core won't boot up past my Compaq loading screen...I waited overnight but it only loaded into Vista for 30seconds then crashed back to the compaq BIOS screen...hoping this is a heat issue, but I'm running a stock PSU for my SR1934NX model Compaq...300W...please advise!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may be having tag issues. When you change hardware in XP and reload the system you need to get a different build number from our MS buddies in India. You could be running the same copy of XP on 10 different computers and as long as each one has a different build number they will never know. MS has tried to do away with this in Vista. They tag your drive and an OEM version of Vista cannot be changed hardware wise. The fact that it ran 5 or 6 hours fine leads me to believe that it tattled on you.
I have a feeling you'll be making some long distance phone calls soon!

If the BIOS recognises the CPU you should be OK. 300 watts ain't much power but the CPU only draws 89 watts. Baring a driver issue that suddenly popped up, call Microsoft first. :roll:

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I recently upgraded my 3500+ AMD 64 to a AMD x2 64 3800+ Toledo core... I installed and it booted up no problems and the computer ran for about 5-6 hrs, then crashed...and crashed...and crashed...now the core won't boot up past my Compaq loading screen...I waited overnight but it only loaded into Vista for 30seconds then crashed back to the compaq BIOS screen...hoping this is a heat issue, but I'm running a stock PSU for my SR1934NX model Compaq...300W...please advise!

you need to reinstall your windows.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
morgan20 said:
you need to reinstall your windows.

This is a pretty drastic solution do you have any reason to support this plan of action?

simply put.......windows nowadays do not want to perform well if they find out that they are running on different hardware. Since you changed your cpu, windows does not work very well. That is why i recommend reinstalling the new windows. If you have all discs in handy, it should not take more than one hour. please let me know if you can fix the problems that way.

morgan20

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I'm going from a single to dual-core, if I install x64 I won't be able to go back to my old processor if this doesn't fix the problem without another install...I'd like to cover all the bases first!

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I'm going from a single to dual-core, if I install x64 I won't be able to go back to my old processor if this doesn't fix the problem without another install...I'd like to cover all the bases first!

i am pretty confident in what i have said. again, it is a free advice , i will not give you any warranty over my suggestion.

I understand your concern. If i were in your situation, first, i would make a second partition on your hd provided that you have only one hd. second, swap your cpu. Boot up from the disc and have a clean installation on the second partition. In that way, you can always go back without installation if you need to. If you have any questions , feel free to ask me.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
that power supply no way is enought for your system, compaq and other big companies such as dell only give enought energy to their defaults systems..

so first install a new psu....

THEN see if its another thing...

I changed from an ASUS a8V-Deluxe 3000+ Athlon 64, to a ASUS a8N-E 3800+ X2, with no problems in windows (except the classic autodetection of hardware) so that shouldnt be a problem. (unless your entire computer is diferent, like difernt mobo sockets and memory)

morgan20

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
that power supply no way is enought for your system, compaq and other big companies such as dell only give enought energy to their defaults systems..

I changed from an ASUS a8V-Deluxe 3000+ Athlon 64, to a ASUS a8N-E 3800+ X2, with no problems in windows (except the classic autodetection of hardware) so that shouldnt be a problem. (unless your entire computer is diferent, like difernt mobo sockets and memory)

I've read that the cores I'm going from (single AMD 3500+ => dual AMD 3800+) use the same wattage, so I'm forced to question the PSU problem... gonna try getting a new HS/Fan tomorrow as it's sunday today...

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

I've read that the cores I'm going from (single AMD 3500+ => dual AMD 3800+) use the same wattage, so I'm forced to question the PSU problem... gonna try getting a new HS/Fan tomorrow as it's sunday today...

let's see, imaginet hat a MAnchester Dual core will eat around 1.6X times more energy (or even more than just 1.6) than a single core Venice (on same speed cores)
so no idea where you got that they eat the same energy.
just because some have similar TDPS doesnt mean they eat the same ammount of energy...

wich jack was here to explain this correctly..
but yeah, my older PSU a ducky brand 450 Watt couldnt handle the change from single to dual, had to upgrade to a 550Watt, then it worked just fine.
and yeah had similar stuff as you, random resets, crashes, everytime I loaded something heavy.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

False advice. You may not have enough power, but short of watts will not cause the system to crash, it will effect the performance of devices but never to crash windows.

From my experience, I think it is a driver or Vista hardware modification issue. First you have to confirm if Vista has picked up your new processor as a dual-core processor under

Device Manager -> ACPI Uniprocessor PC or ACPI Multiprocessor PC. then
Device Manager -> Processors. If it shows up with 2 processors its fine.

Also try install the driver patch for AMD Dual-Core CPUs. You can download these from the AMD website.

You can boot windows into SAFE MODE and leave it there for a while (couple hours?) and see if Vista crashes, if it doesnt, it is definately a driver issue.

Hope this helps.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Was it a new or used CPU? Did you refit original heatsink? Did you use fresh thermal grease after removing original compound? Have you tried refitting original CPU? I went from 3700+ to X2 4200 and that is 20W more. To run stable you need AMD patch and also a registry mod from Microsoft. Check you have the ones for Vista.

Mike.

merlin3791

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Morgan do you have the latest bios for your motherboard? I think your motherboard is an A8N-LA is this correct?

Are you running Bios version 3.11 dated 10-2-2006? This updated bios resolves system boot issues, and also an issue where Dual Core processors are identified incorrectly in diagnostic properties.

The only problem is you dont your system to freeze or blue screen while your updating the Bios or you'll ruin it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-43508-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3190729&dlc=en&lang=en