Sign in with
Your question

Dual GPU HD 2600XT - A desent card from ATI????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2007 3:55:49 PM

Personally this is the one I've been waiting to see.

HD 2600XT GPUx2 - Sapphire

2600XT GPUx2 - GeoCube

Scaringly it sais one of them had ddr2 memory.. although for a card like this im sure that wont bet he case when it comes out, or maybe it will but in a different version.

I have heard some things being thrown around.

1. Whether 2x 128bit of this type of card makes 256bit.
2. Price, Iv heard $300 - $400.
3. Time of arrival, surprosingly I've read somewhere that it should be here mid-july.

Any clarification would be great, thanks :D 
June 17, 2007 4:06:29 PM

Is this product more than just speculation?

In any case, dont expect it to be more powerful than the X1950 Pro Dual.

If u want a powerful card, get the 8800 GTX.
June 17, 2007 4:09:30 PM

Yes this card is definatly coming out at some point.

I understand get the 8800gtx hell I recomend it, but the gtx is quite expensive, this card as far as I know is ment to be the main competition to the 8800gts and its made by 2x 512meg gddr3 2600pro's.

If they've made it properly though, this could be a really good card, all comes down to the pricing of it in the end, which seem sto be ATI's main weakness, I wouldnt get it if it cost more than a 800gts 640meg.
Related resources
June 17, 2007 5:13:14 PM

I'm pretty sure an 8800GTS 320MB would walk all over it in lower resolutions, quite possibly in higher too. This card should be priced lower than $225, with the single-GPU variant below $180, to sell well.
June 17, 2007 5:54:27 PM

If this card comes with 256bit memory bus and retails low enough, it may be able to pass as a mid-range gaming card too.

However due to ATI's and parteners resent releases I can see a 1 in a million chance of that actually happening.
June 17, 2007 6:45:56 PM

Nothing special!
2x128Bit cards on one board?
Most of games won't gain any benefit from the second chip so what?
ATI already have lots of drivers problems!
God! Just look at the size of that thing! 8O
I rather any X1900/7900/8800series card over that big piece of trash!
June 17, 2007 7:15:05 PM

Hmm, interesting, but the concept isn't new. Each chip will have a dedicated 128 to the VRAM, but as the chips are separate, and NOT on the same silicon, the buses will NOT be combined. That would require an overhaul of the architecture, and as its only just been released, I doubt this is the case.

I'd certainly put this card in the midrange area, but unless it runs crossfire natively (Which from the reviews, I conclude it DOESN'T) then I don't think its going to be a main contender in the gaming circles. I could be wrong however, we'll have to wait and see.

What IS nice is the option to use 4 screens from the one physical card, and I can see that being useful in a few environments. But ultimately, its just 2 cards one on board.
June 17, 2007 7:48:51 PM

I find it funny someone with a gts can comment on how huge another card is. No offense of coarse :D 

So CableTwitch, the way you said 128bit's wont be combined, so theres just 2. What advantage does that actually have over1? The way I get you is it cant do 256bit but 128bit more effectivly?

Also from what I've read ATI are working on drivers to make 2 of these quad CF, thats the only thing stopping them.
June 21, 2007 9:20:52 AM

I see some of you guys commenting on weather or not games will use Crossfire or not........this shows a distinct lack of knowledge.

Crossfire if working in supertile mode will work on any application that is run with about a 80% speed increase

when the quad drivers come out it will make the sapphire 1950 pro dual crossfire setup close to an 8800GTX SLI setup.....even in dx10 apps. and probably faster than 8800GTX SLI for DX9 games.

Check out some comparisons.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35604
It's looking very good for those of us that plan on getting a quad x-fire.

B4 people start flaming compare the % of improvement between a single 1950 and the x-fire setup
and a single 8800 and the SLI setup
Yea....x-fire is that good.
next look at the cpu usage

And lastly...Developers do not have to do any additional optimizing for x-fire to work on their games....it just works...on all apps...all the time.

SLI has to be coded in the game for it to work for the APP. This puts Nvidia in quite a bind because they will need to develop new SLI technology to make Quad SLI viable.

As far as the 2600XT goes...if AMD/ATI make decent drivers and fix the AA problems I could see quad 2600's working out well if the price point puts the quad x-fire setup cheaper than 2 8800GTX's .

And the single 2600xt 3dmark06 score of 5700ish should put a quad 2600xt at about 16-19k in 3dmark06.....
which actually stomps 8800SLI.

These quad x-fire setups when they arrive will be no joke performance wise... mark my words. And I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts you won't see quadfire with intel chips. The only reason you see crossfire x16 with intel chips is because ATI and Intel were collaborating b4 AMD bought ATI. I'm pretty sure AMD and Intel won't be working together on anything until things get back to a level playing field after Barcelona comes out in Q4. Even then Intel has always touted it's own technology long after it should have been dust.
June 21, 2007 11:25:18 AM

Quote:
I see some of you guys commenting on weather or not games will use Crossfire or not........this shows a distinct lack of knowledge.

Crossfire if working in supertile mode will work on any application that is run with about a 80% speed increase

when the quad drivers come out it will make the sapphire 1950 pro dual crossfire setup close to an 8800GTX SLI setup.....even in dx10 apps. and probably faster than 8800GTX SLI for DX9 games.

Check out some comparisons.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35604
It's looking very good for those of us that plan on getting a quad x-fire.

It´s good to see people that know what they are talking about. Too bad you´re not one of them. It may sound harsh but i can only come to that conclusion after reading what you wrote and checking the link you provided. Just by claiming that magical 80% at least a dozen math teachers around the planet had a heart attack. Do your math, read your link and look at those numbers. Write them down and give them to someone that can use a calculator.
You should check your sources too. I mean, a six months old review by the Inquirer is hardly something i would base any conclusions on.

Quote:

As far as the 2600XT goes...if AMD/ATI make decent drivers and fix the AA problems I could see quad 2600's working out well if the price point puts the quad x-fire setup cheaper than 2 8800GTX's .

And the single 2600xt 3dmark06 score of 5700ish should put a quad 2600xt at about 16-19k in 3dmark06.....
which actually stomps 8800SLI.

I´m sure we can make a reasonable comparison between Xfire and sli once you´ve re-entered reality. Using 3dmark scores to compare two cards performance is as smart as using horse power to compare two vehicles speed - you don´t want a tractor in a car race. In the mean time say hi to the Cheshire Cat.

Quote:

These quad x-fire setups when they arrive will be no joke performance wise... mark my words. And I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts you won't see quadfire with intel chips. The only reason you see crossfire x16 with intel chips is because ATI and Intel were collaborating b4 AMD bought ATI. I'm pretty sure AMD and Intel won't be working together on anything until things get back to a level playing field after Barcelona comes out in Q4. Even then Intel has always touted it's own technology long after it should have been dust.

So what´s the point? :?:
June 21, 2007 11:29:11 AM

I hope you're just a troll
June 21, 2007 12:34:37 PM

A Dual, dual slot 128-bit card with DDR2 RAM will give the X1600 PRO a run for its money!
June 21, 2007 1:02:40 PM

Quote:
A Dual, dual slot 128-bit card with DDR2 RAM will give the X1600 PRO a run for its money!

Hey now :oops:  I used to have one of those.
June 21, 2007 2:04:19 PM

I'm still using it in my P4 2.8 Northwood system. It was an upgrade over a 6600GT
June 21, 2007 2:44:06 PM

It would have gddr3 not ddr2.
June 22, 2007 3:33:53 PM

Thing is if you reffering to crossfire as in the actual card and not with 2 of them.. then yes it would definatly work...

They would not sell a card that does not work..

Quad with them would be a prob but on its own this should really be a kick ass card.
!