Polishing aluminium

Polar_012

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I own a Lian Li casing and there's finger print all over the chasis interior so i decided to polish it using Brasso metal polish. However i did a mistake, the metal polish is not for aluminium. It's for copper and chrome. But it works and the finger print is gone and the aluminium is shiny. How come there are people that say metal polish are not to be used for alu case polishing?

Mind sharing anything with me?

Russsl

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Brasso contains ammonia which can damage some metals. I would advise rescrubbing the case again, paying close attention to corners and creases. If Brasso is not copletely removed it will harden and pit some metals. Be careful with aluminum because acidic cleaning/polishing compunds will stain the metal turning it grey to black.

Here's one thing you can do to keep the aluminum shiny and remove finger prints and dirt with a damp cloth. After polishing, spray the metal with clear glossy acrylic coating like Krylon.

Polar_012

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
It's scrubbed clean on that day itself. Is there anything i should be concerned of now? Or anything i should expect? because the surface is still like normal aluminium like the other parts of the casing which i didn't polish.

Is there any precautionary measures i should take?

Polar_012

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
It's scrubbed clean on that day itself. Is there anything i should be concerned of now? Or anything i should expect? because the surface is still like normal aluminium like the other parts of the casing which i didn't polish.

Is there any precautionary measures i should take?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
After polishing, spray the metal with clear glossy acrylic coating like Krylon.

Ya, follow this brilliant advice--add to this a good wipe down with Navy Jelly

(don't really do this)

Please don't make sarcastic replies if they would be harmful to the OP's project.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/cokeandchocolatebar/

What we have learned...
"DO NOT eat the chocolate after you have used it to polish the can! It will pick up aluminum from the can, which is toxic. I've done metalwork with aluminum, and you're actually supposed to handle it with gloves, since it leaves a black toxic residue on your skin. Once it has been exposed to air for a few hours, aluminum is safe to handle because it forms an oxide layer on the surface which is non-toxic. But polishing it will remove the oxide layer and expose bare metal, and the chocolate will definitely pick up some aluminum. Not a mortal danger, but not the best thing in the world to eat!"

Polar_012

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I didnt use chocolate to polish the aluminium but brasso metal polish and i didn't use gloves. I touched some of the black thing. What will happen? Please dont make me worry.