Booting XP to blank HD

cdaveyj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I recently built a custom desktop and to save money didn't bother buying any OS disks. At my school I can download XP as an ISO file for free, and I've burned 3 different disks to try and get it working. First I extracted all the files and put them in the folder, then put the folder on the disk (so I see the error in that one). Next I put all the files directly onto the disk (skipping the folder). For the last disk I put the ISO file by itself on the disk. None of the disks worked, I just kept getting a message saying no boot device could be found in the specified location. A friend and I repeatedly checked and made sure the disk drive was the proper boot location and still couldn't get it working.

An interestng note however, when I put the second disk (with all the extracted files on the CD) in my laptop, to see which disk it was since we didn't label any, I got a notification saying to install XP I should restart my computer with the CD in the drive. So it seems that the disk should work, but for some reason doesn't on blank HD's.

If I should post the specs, let me know and I'll edit my post. Also I've seen on some other sites that "botched" CD's of XP sometiems won't work. I don't know if that's the problem, since I'd hope my school would provide good downloads.

Any help is greatly appreciated!