Video Woo's

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi All,

In the process of putting together a new computer, (of which my old
computer will be handed down to my offspring), I re-installed my old
Winfast, GeForce 256.

Now, it used to run Quake III just fine, but for the life of me, I
can't get it to work. About the time it normally would pop up the
Menu, it locks the whole computer, or it sometimes gives a blue
screen with some white text, which only a 5000 wpm speed reader would
be able to read, and then goes into reboot.

I have done the following in Windows XP, It has all the updates.

Set the screen resolution to default
Removed the ATI-9500 video card.
Un installed the ATI-9500 Drivers.
Installed the GeForce card,
Installed the Winfast Drivers.

Any thoughts on where to go next?

Jim

Start off by changing the setting to auto reboot on crash. You can do
that in the "My Computer" Properties somewhere. It could well be that
its not a videocard crash afterall. If any other 3d games like MOHAA
and/or CoD work, the card would be fine.

Also, geforces of that age didnt like video shadowing too much. Check
the bios and make sure to turn that off too.