Sign in with
Your question

X1950 Pro Tv out

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2007 6:15:26 PM

Hello!

I hope I can find some help here, because I'm having a very frustrating problem for some time.

I have a X1950 Pro graphic card from Asus.
When I connect my TV Out throught S-Video to the TV, I get an image with changing contrast and flickering. My video standard is properly set.
On the back of the TV there is a sticker where a max of 50 Hz is described.

I don't have this problem with my old Radeon 9600 Pro. I tried an Asus 7600GT and the flickering problem is the same like with the X1950 Pro.

Now comes a very odd part:

When I play a movie, I get the flickering and contrasting changing thing, but if there is something on the top of the player window, like a menu bar or if the player is not in full screen mode, I get a perfect picture.
I don't understand why I get a good picture when something is on the top of the player window and otherwise not.
I tried every possible player/codec combination. I tried different drivers and still no change.

Do you have any suggestion for me? I would be truly thankful.

Chris

More about : x1950 pro

June 18, 2007 5:32:23 PM

I have a 1950pro (agp) and dont have any problems with it.
Are you overclocking or anything?
Are you using CCC or ATT or ?.
Related resources
June 18, 2007 5:55:56 PM

Hi!

Thank you very much for answering my post! I am having this problem for quite some time and am thankful that you're considering this topic.
My Asus EAX1950Pro is PCI-Express. I am not overclocking at all and am using CCC.
Do you have any idea what I could try. Could the TV set be a problem? Although it produces a perfect image when I play a movie not in fullscreen mode or when something is on the top of the player window.

Chris
June 18, 2007 10:47:05 PM

I don't have that graphics card but I'd guess that it's the tv. Cause you wrote that it says max 50Hz, most monitors run at 60hz+ native. So if you clone or extends the desktop to your tv you might want to force the refresh rate down to 50hz.
So I'd try that... hope it helps.

Edit:
I guessed that cause I live in Europe where we mostly had 50hz a long time ago. And when someone tries to run a 60Hz video game on a 50Hz tv it kinda acts like whay you describes it.
I don't have any knowledge in those video playback softwares. But I think that when you arn't in full screen, the software uses the frame rate of the video file in-play (usually 25-30fps). But when you move to full screen the software use the screens optimal refres rate for your desktop resolution.
June 18, 2007 11:28:27 PM

Hi!

The ATI Catalyst allows a downscaling to 30.43,47,56,60 Hz etc.
When I force 47 or 56 I see no difference on the TV.

What makes me wonder is that the Radeon 9600 Pro with its driver worked perfectly on the same TV.

What could I try else? I live in Europe as well.

Chris
June 19, 2007 12:45:46 AM

this is probably stupid to ask but have you removed the drivers and re installed it again? cause despite they're using the same driver it can cause problems when you change card.

So go to the device manager and remove the drivers and install the newest drivers again.

other than that I really don't think of anything else atm.
Look into the video settings in CCC maybe there's someting there.
June 19, 2007 1:15:05 PM

Quote:
this is probably stupid to ask but have you removed the drivers and re installed it again? cause despite they're using the same driver it can cause problems when you change card.

So go to the device manager and remove the drivers and install the newest drivers again.

other than that I really don't think of anything else atm.
Look into the video settings in CCC maybe there's someting there.

Hello!

I did a fresh XP install with the most up to date drivers from the Asus site.
I checked all settings and don't know what exactly I could try.

Chris
June 19, 2007 1:23:47 PM

ok... I'd try the ATI drivers over Asus drivers... I have a asus card and I experienced some troubles with their drivers a way back and since then I've only used the ATI drivers.
Sorry... I can't think of anything else. Maybe call asus and ask if they've experienced the same kind of problem as yours before? Or it could be the card that's not working properly? I don't know :/ 
June 19, 2007 8:20:08 PM

Hi!

I've installed the latest ATI drivers and there is no change. I think the card is working properly because I have the very same issue with a NVidia 7600GT. I will contact ATI and Asus Support.

If there would be a player which plays movies in full screen like the other players do when they're not in full screen or if I can get a transparent (invisible) window on the top of the play when I watch a video, then my problem would be practically solved.
Do you know such an application?

Chris
June 19, 2007 8:37:39 PM

So you want a media player with little or no borders?
June 19, 2007 8:47:16 PM

Hi!

A player with very small borders might do the trick. Do you have a suggestion?
June 19, 2007 8:50:43 PM

No.

Just to be sure, you are set to the correct region, i.e. PAL / NTSC etc?
June 19, 2007 9:17:07 PM

Hi!

Yes, PAL is set. It's not possible to mistaken here, because if I set it on NTSC, the TV goes black and white.

Chris
June 19, 2007 11:22:38 PM

Read this:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon-tv-out/

just to see if you've missed anything.

Maybe you need to use a different cable/adapter as both the newer cards might use a different s-video out as opposed to the older 9800 . 4-pin vs 7-pin ? Or try a different (newer)TV set to see if the problem persists.

GL.
June 20, 2007 10:01:38 AM

Hi!

I use a 4 pin cable and I am going to test a 7 pin cable. The TV is connected via S-Video+SCART. Trying a newer TV is not doable at the moment., but I will give it a go when I have the opportunity. Are the newer TVs 60 Hz?

Chris
June 20, 2007 1:03:04 PM

all the newer TV should support up to 100Hz
!