Ssvagent.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,

every time i try and open any media or program on my computer it gives me an 'open with ' prompt for ssvagent.exe for all programs and internet browsing and then offers only adobe 8.1 to open with which does not work. how can i fix this???

saran008

Distinguished
It seems to be a bug in the Sun Java installation file.
This is one possible solution on the Sun Bug forum, from someone named Lee. Open Internet Explorer and...
Tools -> Manage Add-ons -> Enable or Disable Add-ons
Click on SSVHelper Class
Select Disable under Settings.
Hope it works!

dew1960

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I had the same exact problem. It turned out to be a virus and malware installed by an attack website. I use Norton Security Suite which stopped a virus named AV.EVE after I stopped the process in Task Manager.
It is a malware/virus masked as an antivirus. Did you by any chance see a fake antivirus screen load and start to scan your computer? I did. After that I every time I tried to open something like Internet Explorer or my Spybot S&D software it came up with the Open With ? Screen and only showed Internet explorer as an option. It wanted to download and install something (malware). The malware had even turned off my Windows Defender! Fortuneately I was able to use my Firefox browser for some reason and I seached for an answer. I read that I should change a java setting in Internet Explorer, but I could not load it! I found another answer that worked however!

I downloaded and installed the freeware program Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and ran a full scan. It found 19 infected objects. It removed and quarrantined the infected objects which I later deleted. It worked like a charm. I was so impressed that I purchased and registered the program! It worked when my Norton Security Suite and Spybot failed. I highly recommend it. It had already fixed the problem but I still purchased the registered version for $24.95 and consider it well spent.

armandpiecuch

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I am also having this problem! your solution sounds great dew1960, but how did you manage to open the Anti-Malware??? I still get the "Choose what program you want to use to open" screen!!

saran008

Distinguished
Hi armand,
boot into safe mode with networking, download & fresh install malwarebytes, (uninstall old version if you have)
then do a scan, you can delete those bugs!

I advice you to keep the following 3 freewares always updated in your system to keep the system free from errors & bugs!

1. Avira antivirus
2. Malwarebytes
3.Ccleaner

Hope this helps

danno2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I had the exact problem (lost file associations, exes would launch "open with" box, etc) and finally found the mix of things to resolve it (after days of searching and trying everything).

I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware at http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (free). It found "Hijacked.exeFile" (virus) and cleaned it.

Then I followed the following from another forum:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaprograms/thread/ba8cab9b-29e1-49cd-adf7-22f7e0999060

Fix the registry...

1. Type command in the RUN dialog box to open Command Prompt

2. When Command Prompt is up, type cd \windows

3. Type regedit to open up the Registries.

4. Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and find the folder of .exe

5. Without expanding it, on the main .exe folder, Right-click (Default) and Modify . Change the Value Data to exefile [MINE SAID SECFILE]

6. Now in the same HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT find the folder of exefile and Right-click (Default) and Modify . Change the Value Data to "%1" %* [MINE SAID APPLICATION]

7. Lastly expand exefile , expand shell , expand open , click on the command folder, Right-click (Default) and Modify . Change the Value Data to "%1" %* [MINE ALREADY SAID THIS. DIDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE]

8. Close Regedit and Restart the computer. When restarted, EXE files should not prompt you to choose a program to run it now and load correctly.

Once these steps have been completed scan your laptop for any viruses/malware/trojans.

G

I have the exact same problem! And I just bought Norton 360, but when I talk to their support they want me to pay 100 dollars for them to go in and fix it for me - that's what I thought the program would do, right? - this is ***!!

dkobold

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

I just fixed the same problem without buying any correction software. Be careful, the same people putting out the same bug may also be the people offering the Malware Removal software. My McAfee couldn't find the "Vista Antimalware 2010" files and it did not appear in my "Programs & Features" list under the Control Panel. I was, however able to get the details of the "exe" file that was driving that fake malware product. It was "hiding" under that particular user's "C:\Users\.....\AppData\Local" folder as "ave.exe". Once I recycled & permanently deleted that executable, it has not come up again on that user. That executable may have affected my ie.exe and ssvagent.exe files however, which is what brought me to searching and finding this thread. On that user, I tried to reassociate the IE shortcuts with the IE executable, but it wouldn't stick. I deleted all my IE shortcuts and repasted them, now that is functioning correctly. Now just need solve this repeated ssvagent.exe relation problem.

Hope this helps anyone else running into the "Vista Antimalware 2010" malware!

G

hi i had your EXACT same problem, I went to google and searched for malwarebytes and downloaded it to destkop(while I was in SAFEMODE) once i had it downloaded to desktop I tryed to open it but it tryed to make me open it through internet explorer as usual, so instead of double clicking it, I right clicked the program and clicked RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, from here it opened up for me and I just messed around for a second until it ran for me, hope this helps

G

and once I was able to actually download malwarebytes program on to my computer and run it(by right clicking on malwarebytes and clicking OPEN AS ADMINISTRATOR) I then was able to use RUN and typed in regedit and re typed the things that DANNO2010 said to do now everythings back to normal, thanks to this site my computers back to normal, thanks everyone

G

thanks, worked perfectly....i thought it was a virus.

G

had the same problem, and just fixed it.
Download Malawarebyte (it s free)
And hit "save" not "Run", save it in the desktop and then hit "Run"
the same window will pop up, go to "Browse" go to desktop and chose the same program you just saved " Malawarebyte (Download)"
Follow the installation instructions, Problem solved (Gods willing)

pl61ce1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I had the same problem and it appears that downloading and running the Malawarebyte program has solved the problem. Malawarebyte found 9 viruses. Like a previous post I had to save Malawarebyte and then go in through Windows Explore, find the Malawarebyte file and right click and chose "Run as administrator" in order to be able to run the Malawarebyte program. Everything seems ok now. It doesn't appear that I will need to "Fix the registry..." like one of the previous posts, but we'll see. [Update: I ended up needing to "Fix the registry like outlined above.] Thanks so much for suggesting the Malawarebyte software. I was running Norton Internet Security on my machine, but somehow the "Hijacked.exeFile" and other viruses infected my machine. I had called Dell support and got connected with someone in the Philippians that wanted $249 for a 1 year warranty to help me. After running Malawarebyte I received the following report:

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4002

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18904

4/17/2010 3:33:27 PM
mbam-log-2010-04-17 (15-33-27).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|K:\|)
Objects scanned: 386228
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 32 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 4
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 2
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\37465982736455 (Rogue.GreenAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\03874569874596 (Rogue.GreenAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command\(default) (Hijack.ExeFile) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Rogue.MultipleAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\(default) (Hijacked.exeFile) -> Bad: (secfile) Good: (exefile) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Green AV (Rogue.GreenAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\ProgramData\gwr (Rogue.GreenAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Green AV\ Green AV .lnk (Rogue.GreenAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\ProgramData\gwr\Viruses.dat (Rogue.GreenAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

pl61ce1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
had the same problem, and just fixed it.
Download Malawarebyte (it s free)
And hit "save" not "Run", save it in the desktop and then hit "Run"
the same window will pop up, go to "Browse" go to desktop and chose the same program you just saved " Malawarebyte (Download)"
Follow the installation instructions, Problem solved (Gods willing)

This worked for me!!

Fatalpinkness

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Just for info,

you can open all programs if you right-click, the hit "run as administrator' then, if you get the pop up screen,
hit 'cancel' and the program you selected will open.

Now doing a malwarebyte scan, cuz its annoying ;)

Cheers,

Fatalpinkness

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Well, MAM found nothing..
so I gues I need to reinstall Java?

This is the log from my scan:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.43
Database version: 3458
Windows 6.0.6000
Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.17037

20-4-2010 18:29:40
mbam-log-2010-04-20 (18-29-40).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 274103
Time elapsed: 43 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

james243

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hello,

every time i try and open any media or program on my computer it gives me an 'open with ' prompt for ssvagent.exe for all programs and internet browsing and then offers only adobe 8.1 to open with which does not work. how can i fix this???

dont download any of these thing that ppl are saying you still cant pull up the program cause of the virus

Status
Not open for further replies.