Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Re-Useing Windows XP Licenses?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 30, 2009 4:13:04 PM

Hi, I was thinking on purchasing a bunch of second hand PC's, and putting them into a new case, upgrading some components, to sell them on eBay.

My question is, most of the PC's have the XP Home Licenses on the side of the cases, can I reuse these? I should be able to right?

Anyone have an insight on this? Thanks.
September 30, 2009 9:21:38 PM

Anyone? I was hoping to start the switch overs tommorow. All I want to know is, can I use the licenses on the side of the old cases? I should be able to... Right? It's the same motherboard/CPU/GPU etc etc. In most cases the RAM and the HDD have been upgraded.

The old cases will be disposed off. If that makes a difference. Basicly, the same license will not be used on 2 computers. It's still the same one.
October 1, 2009 1:41:42 AM

The actual license is what matters, if you have to transfer it to another case use a hair blow dryer to heat it and you can actually physically transfer the license.

As far as the legality is concerned the actual license is your legality.

Worse case senario you may have to call Microsoft to get it activated.
Related resources
October 1, 2009 2:42:20 AM

4Ryan6 said:
The actual license is what matters, if you have to transfer it to another case use a hair blow dryer to heat it and you can actually physically transfer the license.


Ha! :) 

4Ryan6 said:
As far as the legality is concerned the actual license is your legality.

Worse case senario you may have to call Microsoft to get it activated.


Well, put it this way, if the license is not used on another computer, then it shouldn't be a problem right? What is microsoft doing? Licensing the PC case, or 1 phsyical PC. I'm not taking the license of one PC and slapping it onto another PC.

All I'm doing is moving the componants to a new case, and upgrading a few things.

October 1, 2009 2:45:24 AM

PS: I have a E Machines PC that one also has a XP Home license, but it says somthing about "Windows XP Home - DSG Retail Limited." I'm guessing this is for branded computers right? If so, does that mean that I can not remove the license of the case and put it on the PC that I recased?

Is the same insides, just recased.
October 1, 2009 11:49:01 AM

Microsoft is not going to ask you if the reason your activation is in question because of the license being Emachines, HP, Gateway, Dell, Etc., they're going to ask you if the reason for the difference is because you had to replace a hardware component such as motherboard, hardrive, etc.

Obviously the answer to that is yes, if you're transferring the license to a completely different set of hardware.

Don't volunteer any information to Microsoft, just answer the questions you're asked.

You'll be asked how many machines this licence is installed on, answer 1, according to you thats true to the best of your knowledge.

Just because a computer was a dedicated OEM Gateway computer for instance doesn't mean Gateway still has a replacement motherboard for the computer, so Microsoft does allow leeway for replacing with a non Gateway M/B

However when it comes time to do the activation sometimes the activation will go through automatically online if it had never been activated but the one original time, if it doesn't you'll have to telephone Microsoft and answer a couple of questions.

Like I already told you, just answer the questions, don't volunteer any information,
I've transferred many licenses from brand name machines to box built, and never the first time did Microsoft refuse to activate any of them.
October 1, 2009 1:09:48 PM

Thanks ryan, that was some good infomation. OEM is not a problem, I guess I can just buy OEM XP's for around £15 these days, but if I can save £100+ and reuse the ones on the machines sides, then thats great :) 

Just one or two questions:

When you active a OEM license, how does the whole activation work? Does it take all the specifications/ID's of the hardware correct? If so, what is the limit on hardware changes? Like can I do it bit by bit, day by day, or can I change the CPU/RAM/MoB all at the same time.

Another way to put it, lets say I recived a bunch of PC's that where faulty. Lets say on all 20 PC's the motherboards where fried and needed replacing. Can I call up Microsoft and tell them that I purchased a bulk of 20 PC's and they need motherboard replacments. Would they accept that? I guess they'll ask for a name/address etc so doing it one by one would be over suspicious.

And one last question:

Is it OK to have reuse a license that was on the side of a Dell PC (OEM) that wrote "Dell" on the side of it but with a replaced motherboard in another PC case to sell it on?

For example, I took out all the componants and put it into another PC case and then the motherboard exploded (lol) so I had to "replace" the motherboard, will it be OK if I reused the OEM from the original PC case and then sold it on on... lets say... Ebay with that OEM.

I don't think it is... Is it? Seen as it says "Dell" on it.

Thanks.
October 3, 2009 6:50:26 AM

So Ryan... :rollseyes: :) 
October 3, 2009 3:26:51 PM

Your questions have already been answered, re-read my responses to you, if you need to, and just go ahead and do it.
October 3, 2009 3:33:26 PM

Quote:
When you active a OEM license, how does the whole activation work? Does it take all the specifications/ID's of the hardware correct? If so, what is the limit on hardware changes? Like can I do it bit by bit, day by day, or can I change the CPU/RAM/MoB all at the same time.


Irrelevant just do it.

Quote:
Another way to put it, lets say I recived a bunch of PC's that where faulty. Lets say on all 20 PC's the motherboards where fried and needed replacing. Can I call up Microsoft and tell them that I purchased a bulk of 20 PC's and they need motherboard replacments. Would they accept that? I guess they'll ask for a name/address etc so doing it one by one would be over suspicious.


I already told you not to volunteer information to Microsoft, answer the questions you're asked for activating each individual machine.


Quote:
Is it OK to have reuse a license that was on the side of a Dell PC (OEM) that wrote "Dell" on the side of it but with a replaced motherboard in another PC case to sell it on?


For example, I took out all the componants and put it into another PC case and then the motherboard exploded (lol) so I had to "replace" the motherboard, will it be OK if I reused the OEM from the original PC case and then sold it on on... lets say... Ebay with that OEM.


I don't think it is... Is it? Seen as it says "Dell" on it.


Already answered, just do it.

October 3, 2009 3:46:22 PM

It's not that really, if it was for my use only, I wouldn't have cared. But in this case, wouldn't reusing "Dell" OEM XP's to sell on eBay be a little... Super illegal? (Don't forget, it will be on another motherboard, with another PC case.)

If not, then another question about the Microsoft thing. Do I HAVE to call them in, or is that only if Microsoft's Validation does not pass?

Also, how can I call in 20 PCs? Should I tell the guy over that phone that I want to re-license 20 PC's, or do I call them in all in separate times, one at a time.

Just wanted to clear that up so I don't make any stumble mistakes.
October 3, 2009 4:56:03 PM

Quote:
It's not that really, if it was for my use only, I wouldn't have cared. But in this case, wouldn't reusing "Dell" OEM XP's to sell on eBay be a little... Super illegal? (Don't forget, it will be on another motherboard, with another PC case.)


If Microsoft allows its license to be re-activated on the new hardware, how is that possibly illegal? The operating system is Microsofts property not Dells, if Microsoft allows it to be transferred to completely new hardware, how is that illegal? Maybe Microsoft should sue themselves for allowing the transfer to the new hardware, and if they don't allow the license transfer, you won't be able to get the OP/SYS activated.

Quote:
godbrother, asks? If not, then another question about the Microsoft thing. Do I HAVE to call them in, or is that only if Microsoft's Validation does not pass?


Quote:
Ryan said!,However when it comes time to do the activation sometimes the activation will go through automatically online if it had never been activated but the one original time, if it doesn't you'll have to telephone Microsoft and answer a couple of questions.


Quote:
godbrother asks?,Also, how can I call in 20 PCs? Should I tell the guy over that phone that I want to re-license 20 PC's, or do I call them in all in separate times, one at a time.


I've already told you not to volunteer information, you activate each individual machine, one at the time.

Any more questions?
October 3, 2009 7:37:08 PM

Lol, no thank you, you've been a great help. I just wanted to know if I should do it all on one phone call, or seperatly. Seen as that's awnsered.

I know this will sound a bit stupid asking again, but I really want to confirm this... once again. Are you telling me, that an OEM that has "Dell" or "HP" (or "DSG Retial") on the sticker, that I can actually re-case, and reuse THAT OEM Product key, that was licenced to Dell/HP and actually sell it without any legal issues?

In that case would I be able to take of the sticker and put it up on the new generic case :D  Seen as it has Dell written on it.... I don't think so... Right?

I promise thats the last time I'll ask, I just dont want to get sued big time by some shmuck.
October 4, 2009 1:50:08 PM

Quote:
I promise thats the last time I'll ask


Well you're right about that at least in this thread, all your questions have already been answered.
!