I need suggestions for remote file updating...

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I need assistance once again.

Here is the deal, I am trying to find a program which can be installed on a 3-4 of PC's, which will automatically sync selected files at a specified time daily. There are three user based pc's, and I might setup one file server to hold the data as well. So, the program would need to get on the net, connect to the 3 other PC's, and basically cross update them to match without deleting data, just updating each computer with the most up to date data from which ever one has the most up to date stuff.

Does that make any sense? Can it be done without remote access software as well? Any program names that can sync a set of PC's and choose which data is the most up to date on a schedule?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. I do know I can look stuff up in google, but I really don't know what I need or where to start. I have never used remote access software before (other than just Windows RA), nor do I know anything about software that can cross update say a set of PC's documents folders.

Thanks in advance for any help!

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
If they are all on the same lan, or vpn (hint, hint), use microsoft's sync toy, setup the same groups on all machines and then create a batch file to run them in the proper order and throw it into scheduled tasks on each machine. I do this with my work laptop and office pc to one of my servers, works great. Files of the same name will always be OVERWRITEN if they are NEWER, this may not be what you want.

Rsync would be another option, though not as easy to setup, but you don't need a VPN, just a lot more configuration. Use either DeltaCopy or Cygwin.