Sign in with
Your question

I have 8800GTX, should i buy a PhysX card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2007 8:41:40 PM

I want to get the best gaming experience, so with an evga 8800GTX will it be useful at all to get the PhysX card? obviously the top of your head answer would be yes but i have heard taht with very good video cards a physics card might actually hit your performance.
suggestions?
thannks

More about : 8800gtx buy physx card

June 17, 2007 9:01:41 PM

well to be honest i really am not sure but i seen a topic like this before and almost all of the replies said don't get one for many reasons, well it is better to see what the people here have to say
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
June 17, 2007 9:33:05 PM

I have a theory that the only function of a physX card is tell the software that it's there and run a better physics software path. I'm not saying this is true and I never tested it but the simple inefficiency of running physics code away from the cpu and using the pci bus to ship it back and forth seems absurd.
Related resources
June 17, 2007 9:38:29 PM

That thing is almost completely useless, don't waste your money
June 17, 2007 10:05:40 PM

Considering how useless the PhysX card is, how much it costs, and the fact that DX10 will allow physics calculations to be done by the GPU, not a fucking chance. That money would be far better spent by putting it towards a second GTX some time in the future.
June 17, 2007 10:06:21 PM

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY Really really really really really, really Like GRAW then, maybe (not even a hopeful maybe) but otherwise they are USELESS, it is nice to have for bragging points but honestly pointless. I would not mind one, but then again i would not mind getting given a doorstop for free either, they are essentially the same thing, just the doorstop won't fit in a pci slot. If you get one for like $50 then go for it but you wont really be using the $50 for anything good, nice to have but not really important, cell factor is quite cool but not worth buying hardware over. If you have the cash go for it, i would have likes Ageia to do well but none of the developers seem to want the same. It is something that COULD have been cool, but wasn't.
June 17, 2007 10:22:53 PM

Id always thought those were for like, rich developers of images or films or crap.
June 17, 2007 10:30:30 PM

Nope, they are for Dumb shits with thick wallets.
June 17, 2007 10:42:47 PM

do you measure wallet thinkness in inches with duoble figures, if so get one, otherwise they have no real purpose. Unless you are a fanatical FPS player in a suported game, then there is no need to have one.

Als just to add, it would make a shoddy doorstop,
June 17, 2007 11:10:21 PM

if you have money to burn then yeah!
June 18, 2007 12:05:56 AM

I'll be honest; I played Cell Factor the day I got the card, and since then I haven't played it. Wait for Unreal Tournament 3 to show whether this card will be worthwhile.
June 18, 2007 12:07:28 AM

Quote:
If you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY Really really really really really, really Like GRAW then, maybe (not even a hopeful maybe) but otherwise they are USELESS, it is nice to have for bragging points but honestly pointless. I would not mind one, but then again i would not mind getting given a doorstop for free either, they are essentially the same thing, just the doorstop won't fit in a pci slot. If you get one for like $50 then go for it but you wont really be using the $50 for anything good, nice to have but not really important, cell factor is quite cool but not worth buying hardware over. If you have the cash go for it, i would have likes Ageia to do well but none of the developers seem to want the same. It is something that COULD have been cool, but wasn't.

Ok so lets figure he R_E_A_L_L_Y likes GRAW. But heres the rub. If you play GRAW without the physx hardware installed,(but with the emulation software installed)the game only runs minimum physx effects in software emulation mode. If you try to run GRAW WITHOUT the physx hardware OR software installed ( trying to pick up extra fps) you dont gat any physx effects at all...but you DONT get any extra fps either
If you buy the dam physx card you get full effects,but you dont get appreciably any more or less fps either. So if you want the eye candy ,go for it. But dont expect to gain any fps like you would if you are running EAX in hardware mode on the top Creative cards
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
June 18, 2007 12:08:14 AM

Quote:
actually, off the top off my head is a definate no.

these cards are virtually useless. only a crazy fool with lots money who plays some of the few supported games would buy one.

Thank you, I wanted to say the same thing, less typing for me :p 
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
June 18, 2007 12:09:46 AM

Quote:
Considering how useless the PhysX card is, how much it costs, and the fact that DX10 will allow physics calculations to be done by the GPU, not a ****** chance. That money would be far better spent by putting it towards a second GTX some time in the future.

Or a quad CPU. Smart games will let cores 3 and 4 handle physics.
June 18, 2007 12:12:51 AM

physx accelerators confused me too but with all these many negative comments, oh screw it, id rather break the damn thing now.
June 18, 2007 12:25:58 AM

Haha, I dunno, if anyone else has seen the physics bugs in the GRAW:2 Demo you'll probably think it needs all the physics help it can get :lol: 

e.g. car doors flying around the map for a whole round hitting randoms :lol: 
June 18, 2007 2:52:24 AM

thing is i have it for free sitting in a box. I dont want to open it up if i can sell it as *brand* new. i would put it in, but i've heard that with teh type of system i have
8800gtx, overclocked E6600 @ 3.4ghz, etc, it might actually be better off not even putting the card in what with the drivers messing your existing video card set up up.
another thing im not too clear on, will it at all affect games you have installed that dont support it like bf2142, lomac, Il-2, SupCom, etc?
June 18, 2007 3:18:10 AM

Quote:
will it at all affect games you have installed that dont support it like bf2142, lomac, Il-2, SupCom, etc?

no, it won't support any game not written for it. in fact it only supports SPECIFIC phsics effects written for supported maps, so it has no effect on most of the physical calculations like player object interaction etc.
i may buy one anyway when ut3 comes out, but i am worried about driver conflicts with vista and my 8800gtx cards, so i might wait anyway to see if its working. i'll probably play custom maps in ut3, and those authors most likely won't both writting separate script to do physics effects.
June 18, 2007 3:37:54 AM

it would suck if the new generation of pc games were being written for physX and for no physX leaving them a jack of all trades but a master of none...but hey, Crysis isnt even going to support it!
hell!
thanks, im leaning towards selling this after all. is this stuff a dead end or will a new, better "helper" card come out, possibly for pci-e?
June 18, 2007 3:47:22 AM

I almost bought one when they first came out because I thought it might be going somewhere. I'm glad I didn't.
June 18, 2007 3:25:43 PM

no no no no, and did i mention no?
June 18, 2007 5:01:15 PM

leokreizman; ill buy it of you.

then ill smash it!
June 18, 2007 5:43:14 PM

wait for some more gamesto use it.If a lot of games come get it else forget it.
June 18, 2007 6:15:03 PM

If you have a debris fetish, the PhysX card is SOOOOOOOOOO worth it. For the remaining 99.9999999999999% of the people who do not get off by looking at flying debris, we'll take a pass on it.
June 18, 2007 7:17:25 PM

I think if you want to buy this Ageia physiX now actually is not worth it. If you see what games will support Ageia the only anticipated game is the Unreal Tournament 3. From the past games the only game worth playing that support Ageia is GRAW.

Now for only 2 good games is it worth it? Considering that in the near future you will be able to use Nvidia or ATI GPUs for physix i suggest you wait. For example the Ageia physix process around 50Gflops compared with your 8800GTX crunch 500Gflops. Your card will be able to process physix much faster.
!