client unknown to auth

Some guy can't connect to my server, he gets this message. Back when people
were talking about this I didn't pay attention cuse it never happened to me.
What was this all about again?

OscartheGrouch wrote:

> Some guy can't connect to my server, he gets this message. Back when people
> were talking about this I didn't pay attention cuse it never happened to me.
> What was this all about again?

It means he's running a different version.

--
Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
I needed sunshine in my day / Something to wash away the pain

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> It means he's running a different version.

Wrong
When this happens you get a protocol message.

Often in this case the problem is, that your server is not able to
resolve the ip-address of authorize.quake3arena.com. Workaround: extend
the line
127.0.0.1 localhost
in your /etc/hosts with the entry "authorize.quake3arena.com", so that
the IP resolves to localhost.

sittingduck wrote:

>> It means he's running a different version.
>
> Wrong
> When this happens you get a protocol message.

Err, you're right, sorry. I didn't read very closely, I'm afraid.

--
Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
Think twice before you speak to a friend in need.

"sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>
>> Err, you're right, sorry. I didn't read very closely, I'm afraid.
>
> Sounded good though! :)

Glad you guys got that straightened out. Now what about my question skeezix?

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

OscartheGrouch wrote:

> Glad you guys got that straightened out. Now what about my question
> skeezix?

Did you try what I posted?

> OscartheGrouch wrote:
>
>> Glad you guys got that straightened out. Now what about my question
>> skeezix?
>
> Did you try what I posted?

1. Wrong
When this happens you get a protocol message.

2. Sounded good though! :)

These are the 2 posts attributable to you sittingduck that I see. Whad I
miss?

"OscartheGrouch" <tondaleo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "sittingduck" <spam.to.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>> OscartheGrouch wrote:
>>
>>> Glad you guys got that straightened out. Now what about my question
>>> skeezix?
>>
>> Did you try what I posted?
>
> 1. Wrong
> When this happens you get a protocol message.
>
> 2. Sounded good though! :)
>
> These are the 2 posts attributable to you sittingduck that I see. Whad I
> miss?

Oops. Me bad, I found it. working on it now.

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

OscartheGrouch wrote:

> Oops. Me bad, I found it. working on it now.

Do you have a router? If so, make sure you have a port or 2 forwarded! 27960
is default for quake.

> OscartheGrouch wrote:
>
>> Oops. Me bad, I found it. working on it now.
>
> Do you have a router? If so, make sure you have a port or 2 forwarded!
> 27960
> is default for quake.

Yup, a router. A linksys. I get a lot of clients connecting with no
problems. It's just this one guy who used to connect anytime he wanted moved
to the bay area and now gets that message. I was thinking maybe something
clientside. If anyone wants to give it a shot the address is
66.93.40.117:27964. if that's off then port 27965 is on.
Name is Hillsboro Instaunlagged.

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

OscartheGrouch wrote:

> Yup, a router. A linksys. I get a lot of clients connecting with no
> problems. It's just this one guy who used to connect anytime he wanted
> moved to the bay area and now gets that message. I was thinking maybe
> something clientside. If anyone wants to give it a shot the address is
> 66.93.40.117:27964. if that's off then port 27965 is on.
> Name is Hillsboro Instaunlagged.

I got the client unknown message, but 2 seconds later, I got right in. I see
the client_unknown message every once in a while, but it never keeps me from
joining.

> Some guy can't connect to my server, he gets this message. Back when people were talking about
> this I didn't pay attention cuse it never happened to me. What was this all about again?

As I recall it's a Linux issue, or at least an issue with running a server on Linux.

this has been an issue for quite some time. have him type /reconnect a few
time sin the console when he gets that message, and if it doesn't allow him
to get in after a few trys then have him up his /rate real high while hes
getting the message, and see if that helps.

If i'm not mistaken, by toying with your rate while getting that message it
would end up letting you get in, i just can't remember exactly if it was
rate or another network cmd. but i'm pretty sure its /rate

pz

-dj