How to Connect to Wireless Home network?

September 4, 2004 2:55:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

I use a hp iPAQ h4150 which has WIFI. I also have a WIFI home network
setup. My other computers can see one another and share files but not
my handheld. In my computers a common workgroup is set. I cannot set
the workgroup for my handheld and therefore other computers cannot see
my handheld. My handheld can access the internet as my internet
connection is broadband. How do I go about connecting to the home
network? Regards, st kew.
Thanks, S.T. Kew
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:50:55 PM

"S.T. Kew" <simonk@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message
> I use a hp iPAQ h4150 which has WIFI. I also have a WIFI home network
> setup. My other computers can see one another and share files but not
> my handheld. In my computers a common workgroup is set. I cannot set
> the workgroup for my handheld and therefore other computers cannot see
> my handheld. My handheld can access the internet as my internet
> connection is broadband. How do I go about connecting to the home
> network? Regards, st kew.
> Thanks, S.T. Kew

I too have an h4150. It worked perfectly with my home WiFi network out of
the box. Have your PC's got firewalls and have they been instructed to
allow the iPAQ's IP address to access them?

Ian.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:21:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:50:55 +0100, "Electric Fan Club"
<ian.shorrocks@baeyourclothessystems.com> wrote:

>"S.T. Kew" <simonk@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message
>> I use a hp iPAQ h4150 which has WIFI. I also have a WIFI home network
>> setup. My other computers can see one another and share files but not
>> my handheld. In my computers a common workgroup is set. I cannot set
>> the workgroup for my handheld and therefore other computers cannot see
>> my handheld. My handheld can access the internet as my internet
>> connection is broadband. How do I go about connecting to the home
>> network? Regards, st kew.
>> Thanks, S.T. Kew
>
>I too have an h4150. It worked perfectly with my home WiFi network out of
>the box. Have your PC's got firewalls and have they been instructed to
>allow the iPAQ's IP address to access them?
>
>Ian.

Hi Ian, grateful for the response. I am sure, like in my case, both of
us can browse the internet wirelessly via our home WL network. But can
you actually see the shared folders in your other home computers
(which are also connected by WIFI to your access point) by using a
common workgroup name? I cannot. I have a zone alarm installed but
even if I had it disabled I still cannot see my other computers in my
home network.
Regards st kew
September 14, 2004 3:53:06 PM

> >I too have an h4150. It worked perfectly with my home WiFi network out
of
> >the box. Have your PC's got firewalls and have they been instructed to
> >allow the iPAQ's IP address to access them?
> >
> >Ian.
>
> Hi Ian, grateful for the response. I am sure, like in my case, both of
> us can browse the internet wirelessly via our home WL network. But can
> you actually see the shared folders in your other home computers
> (which are also connected by WIFI to your access point) by using a
> common workgroup name? I cannot. I have a zone alarm installed but
> even if I had it disabled I still cannot see my other computers in my
> home network.
> Regards st kew

All the PC's in my home can access the internet. All the PC's can see each
others shared folders. All the PC's can see the 'My Documents' folder on
the iPAQ, and the iPAQ can see all the shared folders and printers on the
PCs. All communication is by WiFi.

This statement was completely true until I installed SP2 on the desktop. I
became true again when I booted it off, though this was not the only reason
for it going.

Ian.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 4:20:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:53:06 +0100, "Electric Fan Club"
<ian.shorrocks@baeyourclothessystems.com> wrote:

>"S.T. Kew" <simonk@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message

>All the PC's in my home can access the internet. All the PC's can see each
>others shared folders. All the PC's can see the 'My Documents' folder on
>the iPAQ, and the iPAQ can see all the shared folders and printers on the
>PCs. All communication is by WiFi.
>
>This statement was completely true until I installed SP2 on the desktop. I
>became true again when I booted it off, though this was not the only reason
>for it going.
>
>Ian.

Hi Ian. My iPAQ cannot see the other computers neither can they see
the iPAQ. Is there a third party program that you use in iPAQ to
enable you to do all this? If it is not too much trouble could you
list me the steps in the setup.
st kew
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 9:59:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

also, if you want to view pc hard drve data on your ppc, you have to
1) make sure firewal on pc isn't blocking ppc
2) be sure wep or wap passkey is set correctly on ppc, if used on pc
3) share desired drives on pc
4) from ppc, map network drves on pc, and
5) only through activesync {doable with wifi using"work" rather than "internet"
settings} can your pc explore you pc, so with basic homenetwork config, don't
bothe looking that way.

ps. this was written in the tub sunday morning from a 4155 on my home network,
using inkspot 1.14r2, with everything working swimmingly!

In message <413ed480$1_1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net>, "Electric Fan Club"
<ian.shorrocks@baeyourclothessystems.com> wrote:

"S.T. Kew" <simonk@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message
> I use a hp iPAQ h4150 which has WIFI. I also have a WIFI home network
> setup. My other computers can see one another and share files but not
> my handheld. In my computers a common workgroup is set. I cannot set
> the workgroup for my handheld and therefore other computers cannot see
> my handheld. My handheld can access the internet as my internet
> connection is broadband. How do I go about connecting to the home
> network? Regards, st kew.
> Thanks, S.T. Kew

I too have an h4150. It worked perfectly with my home WiFi network out of
the box. Have your PC's got firewalls and have they been instructed to
allow the iPAQ's IP address to access them?

Ian.

iPAQ 4150- 512SD (1), 256SD (2)... HPC's & PDA's since the LG Phenom!
!