need help turning Linksys WRT54G into a bridge router

fugly

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
You need to go to http://192.168.1.1 or whatever your default gateway address is (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254). Go to your command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and find the default gateway, or you can RTFM (read the manual) that came with your router and see what the routers "web interface" address is. Once you get to the router's homepage, it should be pretty self explanatory on how to upgrade the firmware.

fugly

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002

but thats the thing, that ip wont work because im doing this from my room. the main router, along with the modem that provides internet, is in my roomates room. so when i try the ip it says site not found. i connected my router to ethernet card in the back of my pc. do i need to bring my pc over my roomates room and do it there? i thought i only need one router to be connected to the modem, and then my router can just form a bridge from another room?

im really confused.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
but thats the thing, that ip wont work because im doing this from my room. the main router, along with the modem that provides internet, is in my roomates room.

That doesn't matter. If you have internet access through the router, then you can access the router homepage. You just need to find what the router's homepage address is. Also, what do you mean by the "Main router"? Do you have more than one? (You're actually beginning to confuse me at the moment)

If you're getting no internet connection or ip at all, then you need to get that working first. To do that, physically go to the router and connect your self (or at least make sure you have a strong enough wireless connection). Now go to 192.168.1.1 (the default homepage for almost all Linksys routers) if you still get a "Page not found". Find the little reset button the back of the router and press it for like 10 seconds while it's unplugged. This will reset everything to default, including the home page. (Which can manually be changed to a customer or other preset IP scheme like 10.0.0.1 or something)

Also, why do you need a bridge? Bridges are usually used to connect multiple dissimilar LAN's. (Although, you can use them to connect similar LANs)

fugly

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002

ok, this is what im doing.

i got my roomate that has a wireless router connected to the cable modem. what im trying to do is, flash my linksys router (check the link i provided in the original post) so that it will act as a bridge. i want to do that so i can have internet in my room, that way i can connect my xbox 360 to the linksys router and also my computer for internet. that is what im trying to do, so i guess because its not connected to the modem box its not working? ill have to connect it to the modem and flash it first and then ill get the bridge connection? correct?

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
If step 2 is confusing you I'd really abondon this idea and just get a range extender, this step is easy compared to the rest. Also make sure that if you do this you have the correct version of the WRT54G router, the version in the post is fairly old (2.2), I believe thecurrent gen is version 5 or 6.

What is asked is to open your browser and type in the IP address of your Linksys and then navigate to the "Administration" and then "Firmware Upgrade" option, but I'd really advise against this procedure if step 2 is causing difficulties.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
*edit* Just messed with a WRT54G router yesterday. The reset procedure is a little different for this router. It must be powered and and the reset button must be held for a full 30 seconds. (You can watch the lights cycle about 3 times and then it's done.) Another thing that I can't validate, but I was told, is that you must be physically connected to the router to access the set up page.

Also, to check what your default gateway is... just got to the command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" w/o the quotes. Now look for the "Default Gateway: x.x.x.x" Whatever that address is (defaulted at 192.168.1.1) type that into your browser.

If this is too much, then just go with what calyn said. :p