Sign in with
Your question

questions about dual cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2007 10:56:34 PM

I plan to build a new system in early-mid fall, depending on what's going on with the technology at the time. I wanted to know what are the advantages of dual cards (SLI, cross fire) over a single card? It seemed like an awesome idea at first, but I read some posts about how it's not that great after all. What does two cards actually provide?
sorry if this has been asked before. the search function doesnt want to be my friend.

More about : questions dual cards

June 17, 2007 11:00:08 PM

If you want better performance than an 8800GTX (or Ultra) can provide, the only way to do it is with SLI.

SLI with low or mid-range cards is usually a dumb idea as a single high end card will offer better performance at a lower cost. The high end card will allow a better upgrade path if you choose to SLI later on.
June 18, 2007 12:11:45 AM

The claim is double the cards, double the performance. This is rarely the case. You will definitely get more FPS in your games, but most likely not double the rate, thus making it a waste of money in most cases. The other advantage to having SLI or XFire is that you can say you have it... bragging rights in other words.
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 18, 2007 12:29:43 AM

Some time ago I was thinking let's get an 8800 GTX now and add another in a year when new games need more power. I gave up. It's smarter to sell the one 8800 GTX and buy one new high-end card from the next generation (8900 GTX or whatever they'll call it), it will do much better than the 8800 GTX SLI and with less noise/power/heat. Go for SLI if you want and can afford two cards right away. Don't go for SLI if you can only afford one card now and you'd like to add another later. Just my 2 cents...
June 18, 2007 6:22:07 PM

alright thanks guys.
June 18, 2007 7:04:18 PM

If you wanna play hello kittie island adventures I highly do recommend not going sli.

It really is a waste of money though. Unless you are running a huge res like on a 24"+ screen there is really no reason to have it now.
June 18, 2007 7:11:05 PM

My bench mark went from 9800 to 17800 in SLI pretty close to double the performance, and what guaranty is there that the next single card generation will out preform a 8800 SLI setup.
June 18, 2007 7:13:45 PM

Quote:
My bench mark went from 9800 to 17800 in SLI pretty close to double the performance, and what guaranty is there that the next single card generation will out preform a 8800 SLI setup.

these are internet tails ignore them.

If you wanna believe that i put a vodoo 3 in my 486dx2 66mhz and it got a score of 02983478903274981723 49817 43413409 -30298340 best score every. I would of got a screenie put i am not sure how to post it.
June 18, 2007 7:36:37 PM

Quote:
If you want better performance than an 8800GTX (or Ultra) can provide, the only way to do it is with SLI.

SLI with low or mid-range cards is usually a dumb idea as a single high end card will offer better performance at a lower cost. The high end card will allow a better upgrade path if you choose to SLI later on.

What he said.
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 18, 2007 7:38:11 PM

Quote:

Nice setup you've got there...

The benchmark programs are easier to write than games. Games might not do so good. Based on countless charts and fps numbers I've seen on the Web I'd say SLI adds 20% to 80% to the fps depending on game, resolution, settings, CPU, even RAM, even where in the game you are (as in Oblivion indoors vs outdoors). It's just nuts.

The next card - there's rumour about the 9800 GTX due for Christmas and doing something like a teraflop. That would be more than twice the 8800 GTX. There was a big thread about it. Must admit I didn't understand all of it but still useful. Of course, it's just rumours.

We can try a guess based on previous cards: one 8800 GTX beats two 7800 GTX in SLI, doesn't it? One can always hope to see this sort of thing happen again :D 
June 18, 2007 8:42:44 PM

Quote:
The claim is double the cards, double the performance. This is rarely the case. You will definitely get more FPS in your games, but most likely not double the rate, thus making it a waste of money in most cases. The other advantage to having SLI or XFire is that you can say you have it... bragging rights in other words.

I agree you will rarely if ever get double the performance but depending on the game or app, it can get pretty close.

I have the Sli load balancing graph enabled on my computer and can see how much work each card is doing. It is obvious that many games are just not optimized to work best with an SLI system.

In comparison if you test SLI on an Nvidia demo that is optimized for SLI, the load balancing on both cards is maxed out, meaning both cards are working their hardest at the same time.

So a small gain in some games with SLI is not necessarily the fault of SLI or Crossfire for that matter. It is more related to how the game or app was built.

You do in fact have the power of two and as more new games come online I see the benefit of SLI increasing.
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 18, 2007 9:10:15 PM

So you're saying SLI will work better and better as game developers learn to use it properly? I sure hope you're right 8O
June 18, 2007 9:20:53 PM

Quote:
So you're saying SLI will work better and better as game developers learn to use it properly? I sure hope you're right 8O

Also don't forget that performance tends to increases with driver updates. I have high hopes for Crysis since it was developed on Nvidia and SLI platforms. If they can have a version optimized for SLI like Nvidia's own demos, Crysis will Rock! on SLI. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2007 10:05:05 PM
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 1:04:14 AM

Wow, my bad, I have no clue what I'm talking about, sorry :oops: 

Those charts show the 7800 GTX SLI about 15% better (that's 1.15 times, OK?) than the 8800 GTX SLI. Didn't expect that at all.

However, they are all from Flight Simulator. Could it be that that game is badly written and/or bottlenecked by the CPU and/or not optimized for the 8800 GTX and/or tested with 8800 drivers that didn't support SLI yet?

Look at these, all I did was take your links and change the game to the other games there:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=339
(Battlefield - 8800 GTX SLI does 3 times better)

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=344
(Dark Messiah, the 8800 does 4 times better)

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=348
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=362
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=367
(Doom, also Prey, also Warhammer, the 8800 does twice better)

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=358
(Oblivion, the 8800 does 4 times better)

To summarize, the 7800 GTX SLI beats the 8800 GTX SLI, by a negligible margin, in one game out of 7 they measured. The 8800 GTX SLI wipes the floor (talking 2, 3 or 4 times the fps here) with the 7800 GTX SLI in the other six. In some of them the 8800 gives a nice 45 fps while the 7800 is a 12 fps slideshow.
And you declare the 7800 GTX SLI the winner? Sure, go ahead, but I'm not convinced.

OK, what we were really discussing was ONE 8800 GTX vs TWO 7800 GTX. Any benchmarks for that?

Edit: OK, here I did some homework:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?mod...
(7800 GTX SLI gets 17.1 fps)
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx...
(8800 GTX alone gets 28.7 fps)
Based on this example, the 8800 GTX alone makes the game playable while two 7800 GTX cards together can't.

Original poster: please play with these URLs to make up your own mind. It depends on the games you have, the settings, the resolution, the CPU, the O/S, the amount of RAM, etc etc. You may get a huge benefit from SLI or not.
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 1:25:27 PM

Quote:
And you declare the 7800 GTX SLI the winner? Sure, go ahead, but I'm not convinced.

WHOA Dude, I just posted some benchies ran by THG to show that even though the 8800GTX single card should by all rights be solidly king of the hill, that even in SLI and running some software like the Flight Sim X it isn't, but that only applies to that particular game and software combination, not to other games.

Now in FSX in the lower resolutions with both the 7800GTX and 8800GTX running in SLI the 7800 outperforms the 8800, only in the higher resolutions does the 8800SLI start to pull past the 7800SLI, and we're only talking a couple of frames per second, thats not a floor wipe.

I wasn't claiming the 7800GTX SLI the winner as you said in the quote, just posting benchmarks that you might not be aware of, basically Flight Sim X is kicking every card in the dirt pretty much across the board, and it probably is CPU bottlenecking, since the game leans more towards the CPU than other games do.

The benchies surprised me because I wouldn't have thought in any game what so ever, and under any resolutions, that a 7800GTX SLI could ever best a single 8800GTX, much less if the 8800GTX was also in SLI, I'm not trying to offend you here and if it came across as such, I apologise. Ryan
June 19, 2007 1:45:10 PM

Nowadays you can purchase a single video card that will run high resolutions with most,if not all,the eye candy enabled.I personally like SLI and have been running it for a year or so now.I started with 2 7800gt's.I just recently(3-4 months ago),purchased 2 7950GT KO video cards,and I just love the performance from the two cards.One card has been RMA'd due to vram issues,But man the extra horsepower is nice to have when you need it.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 1:53:56 PM

Quote:
Wow, my bad, I have no clue what I'm talking about, sorry :oops: 

Those charts show the 7800 GTX SLI about 15% better (that's 1.15 times, OK?) than the 8800 GTX SLI. Didn't expect that at all.

However, they are all from Flight Simulator. Could it be that that game is badly written and/or bottlenecked by the CPU and/or not optimized for the 8800 GTX and/or tested with 8800 drivers that didn't support SLI yet?

Look at these, all I did was take your links and change the game to the other games there:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=339
(Battlefield - 8800 GTX SLI does 3 times better)

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=344
(Dark Messiah, the 8800 does 4 times better)

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=348
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=362
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=367
(Doom, also Prey, also Warhammer, the 8800 does twice better)

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=813&model2=804&chart=358
(Oblivion, the 8800 does 4 times better)

To summarize, the 7800 GTX SLI beats the 8800 GTX SLI, by a negligible margin, in one game out of 7 they measured. The 8800 GTX SLI wipes the floor (talking 2, 3 or 4 times the fps here) with the 7800 GTX SLI in the other six. In some of them the 8800 gives a nice 45 fps while the 7800 is a 12 fps slideshow.

OK, what we were really discussing was ONE 8800 GTX vs TWO 7800 GTX. Any benchmarks for that?

Edit: OK, here I did some homework:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?mod...
(7800 GTX SLI gets 17.1 fps)
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx...
(8800 GTX alone gets 28.7 fps)
Based on this example, the 8800 GTX alone makes the game playable while two 7800 GTX cards together can't.

Original poster: please play with these URLs to make up your own mind. It depends on the games you have, the settings, the resolution, the CPU, the O/S, the amount of RAM, etc etc. You may get a huge benefit from SLI or not.

Great research here. Also, keep in mind that the benchs seen here for the 7800 cards are pretty much against the ceiling of what these cards can do, no matter how fast your CPU/rest of your system is. The 8800 series cards will still scale upwards in performance somewhat as your CPU speed increases.
June 19, 2007 2:00:14 PM

Quote:
I plan to build a new system in early-mid fall, depending on what's going on with the technology at the time. I wanted to know what are the advantages of dual cards (SLI, cross fire) over a single card? It seemed like an awesome idea at first, but I read some posts about how it's not that great after all. What does two cards actually provide?
sorry if this has been asked before. the search function doesnt want to be my friend.

i use multiple cards to give me more screens. currently at home i have 3 , 21" CRT monitors on my main machine, gives me HUMONGOUS screen and desktop area, i can have email, web in one screen, im's, word, more web in second, movie and or music in the third, all at the same time. it's tremendously helpful when you're dealing with multiple pages of stuff.

Valis
of course, one caveat, having 3 , 21" crt's on my desk forced me to add reinforcements to the thing...
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 2:06:43 PM

Quote:

Concerning SLI vs a single nvidia based offering, I'm running 2 MSI 7800GTX, I did not buy them both from the beginning which was Feb 2006, at the time the 7800GTX was the fastest Nvidia card on the market, about 2 months later I picked up another MSI 7800GTX, thoroughly tested both cards Overclocking thresholds, then BIOS flashed both cards permanently O/Cd.

Compared to most every benchmark I've run the second card adds an additional 1/2 of the single cards performance to the total score, IE if a score is 20,000 with a single its usually 30,000 in SLI, some say thats not worth it since the score doesn't double, you'd definitely have to make that call yourself, seeing the example, is a 10,000 score increase worth it to you.

I'm looking forward to running 2 8800GTX in SLI if the prices ever drop enough, if I wasn't thoroughly pleased with the performance I've gotten from my existing SLI configuration, I surely wouldn't plan another, I'd be thumbs downing it all the way.

SLI doesn't perform well in every game as some have posted in this thread, but some of the reasons may be the threading the game was written in, if it is a single threaded game they should either dedicate a core of a dual core CPU, specifically for a game, or shutdown the second core for such games, and their problems should go away.

Fortunately for myself the games I love to play, FarCry, F.E.A.R., Serious Sam 2, Etc. don't have an SLI problem, however I'm running an FX57 OCd single core CPU, and it has no problems running games in SLI, I also have an FX60 dual core that did have problems in SLI, requiring the above fix.

Whatever route you take I wish the best for you, this is just some info from my own experiences with SLI, and I hope it helps in your decision making process. Ryan
June 19, 2007 2:13:28 PM

I have only run SLI once in the past, with my two 7800s and let me say that in terms of looking at the cost savings, over the long term, it makes sense, I believe there was a post in THG sometime ago which basically looked at the cost from a current perspective and a future perspective, sorry I can’t find it, but the bottom line is this, say you buy the 8800GTX at 550 today, and than down the road buy a second at 220, overall cost 770. Now consider you buy any lower model, non-sli/crossfire card, spend about 425 – 450 today, and than 12 months down the road want to upgrade than you spend another 425 – 450, total cost 850 – 900. Some other issues come with this though, there is something to be said about Video card Drivers, run two, well developed cards under SLI or go with a new card with new drivers and new issues, that is something I found to be of value in itself, most people do not always look at things like that. Also, as we more to multiple cores and more robust systems I do agree and believe programmers will start to write code to take better advantage of the dual cards. Just look at the direction PCs are going, how long have you seen dual nic cards, onboard, with a bridging option, up till that last year or so not very much, or at least I haven’t. Oh, not to mention the new quad cores are nothing more than two dual cores in one chip. Okay, so these examples are off quite a bit but looking at this from a trend perspective I think taking the gamble, buying the higher end card today, and at the very least, planning to fun dual/sli in the future, is at least a safe bet.

This is just my two cents…
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 2:45:58 PM

Quote:

WHOA Dude, I just posted some benchies ran by THG to show that even though the 8800GTX single card should by all rights be solidly king of the hill, that even in SLI and running some software like the Flight Sim X it isn't, but that only applies to that particular game and software combination, not to other games.

Sorry about the rant, didn't mean to :oops: 

I do appreciate seeing those SLI/CF benchmarks you discovered, very educational. I hope Microsoft sees them too and does something about Flight Simulator. :p 
a c 272 U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 2:56:04 PM

Quote:
run two, well developed cards under SLI or go with a new card with new drivers and new issues,

A point I feel is oft left out but may well rear it's head again later this year with the next release of new stuff.

Also this resolution myth that non-Sli users keep spouting, I run @1280x1024 and adding a second 7900GT to my rig made a clearly visible difference both in speed (fps) and the higher level of detail that I could have whilst maintaining the same higher frame rates.
June 19, 2007 4:53:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
run two, well developed cards under SLI or go with a new card with new drivers and new issues,

A point I feel is oft left out but may well rear it's head again later this year with the next release of new stuff.quote]

That is just my opinion, and I agree, with all the changes going on I really worry about every time a new GCard comes out, with D10 and all I just think there is a lot of room for, lets call them software oversights, anyway, when you get something perfected, why mess with it. I like going SLI over buying a whole new card, I can usually stretch out how long I can go before a complete overhaul and the drivers are usually well established by that time where i don't have to worry.
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 5:17:41 PM

Good points, I'd love to pick up an 8800GTX in hopes of getting another cheaper down the road, but if ATI doesn't put out something to seriously trump the 8800GTX, those prices will not be dropping as long as the 8800GTX is pulling in the bucks unchallenged, theres no reason for Nvidia to drop any prices at all, even if they market an 8900GTX, they're both Nvidia and the price drop would be very slight if at all.

Just thinking out loud.

Oh but you can count on this for sure, 2 weeks after I buy an 8800GTX spending my hard earned money, it will drop in price by about 200 bucks, happens to me every time. :roll:
June 19, 2007 5:24:16 PM

Quote:
Good points, I'd love to pick up an 8800GTX in hopes of getting another cheaper down the road, but if ATI doesn't put out something to seriously trump the 8800GTX, those prices will not be dropping as long as the 8800GTX is pulling in the bucks unchallenged, theres no reason for Nvidia to drop any prices at all, even if they market an 8900GTX, they're both Nvidia and the price drop would be very slight if at all.

Just thinking out loud.

Oh but you can count on this for sure, 2 weeks after I buy an 8800GTX spending my hard earned money, it will drop in price by about 200 bucks, happens to me every time. :roll:

If they ever release a next version preferably a 9800GTX as opposed to a 8900GTX which sounds like a suped up 8800. I will sell my 8800GTX's.

My philosphy is I always ask for half of what I paid for them. I paid around $625, so I would ebay them for $312/ea
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 5:27:57 PM

Hey we're cool!!!

I read back over where I posted the benchmark links and it sounded kinda insulting towards you on my part, I really didn't mean for it to come across like that, actually the comment about/////Most people giving SLI a thumbs down, aren't even running SLI.///// wasn't meant for you at all.

Seems like as long as I've been a member here I'd learn how to get my point across without offending someone, but I've been married much longer than I've been a member here and cannot seem to accomplish it with my wife! :lol: 

I am getting better here though! Trust me on that one! :wink:
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 5:34:33 PM

Its a good thing we don't have drool vision, or you'd be cleaning the drool off your keyboard, 2 8800GTX powering a 37" Westinghouse HDTV, awesome! 8) What games are you into?
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 5:38:32 PM

Quote:

A point I feel is oft left out but may well rear it's head again later this year with the next release of new stuff.

Also this resolution myth that non-Sli users keep spouting, I run @1280x1024 and adding a second 7900GT to my rig made a clearly visible difference both in speed (fps) and the higher level of detail that I could have whilst maintaining the same higher frame rates.

My Hero! :lol:  Hi Al!

Hope all is well with you today!!!! Ry
June 19, 2007 5:47:50 PM

Quote:
Its a good thing we don't have drool vision, or you'd be cleaning the drool off your keyboard, 2 8800GTX powering a 37" Westinghouse HDTV, awesome! 8) What games are you into?

All kinds of games, but prefer ones like Prey, Stalker, FarCry, the older NFS series, Doom3, Oblivion, COD2 :lol:  . High action! I'm currently mowing through Colin Mcrae DiRT, its purdy.
June 19, 2007 6:08:50 PM

How do you like Stalker compared to say Fear or COD2?
June 19, 2007 6:27:06 PM

Quote:

Funny you should compare it to those two..., Stalker has the scaryiness of Fear but its still different enough to not be like fear and the hectic I gotta get this done fast or I'm gonna get killed of COD2. Its also like a gritty mechanical version of Oblivion for the most part.

Its all about the mood created. All these games create it which is what makes them interesting. I wonder if they make another Fear expansion because in the XP pack, ...., Alma ain't dead yet!!!
a c 272 U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 6:32:33 PM

Hi Ry :)  , Apart from mourning the recent demise of the sck A which gave up the fight on Friday night (2000 - 2007 R.I.P :cry:  ) all is well, I'm just frustrated waiting for some price cuts to first appear and then filter down to the masses. :lol: 

Al
June 19, 2007 7:49:30 PM

Quote:

Cool-so can you go out today and buy yourself one? I could use another for SLI. Two weeks is fine. :lol: 
June 19, 2007 8:08:54 PM

Second That, please buy one before the 4th of July, I want to finish my build by the end of July.
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 10:11:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Ry :)  , Apart from mourning the recent demise of the sck A which gave up the fight on Friday night (2000 - 2007 R.I.P :cry:  ) all is well, I'm just frustrated waiting for some price cuts to first appear and then filter down to the masses. :lol: 

Al

Everyone lets please have a moment of silence for Als dead Socket A M/B :cry: 

You got me there Al when I first read it I thought it said sick A, A standing for Aunt, then I saw 2000 - 2007, and thought she sure was young, Wait a Minute, and the light in my brain finally came on! ROFL :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 10:16:56 PM

Quote:

Cool-so can you go out today and buy yourself one? I could use another for SLI. Two weeks is fine. :lol: 

ROFL :lol:  I would say everyone send donations to buy the thing, but sadly that wouldn't work, unfortunately its got to be my money, but as soon as I can afford it, [probably around Christmas Maybe] I'll try to remember to PM you a headsup. :lol: 
June 19, 2007 10:25:05 PM

But, But, But....

I really do want to finish my build by the end of July, guess I will just have to pay the high price, never fear though, it usually happens about a Month after I make my purchase, so I suggest planning around the end of August.
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 10:39:30 PM

Quote:

Funny you should compare it to those two..., Stalker has the scaryiness of Fear but its still different enough to not be like fear and the hectic I gotta get this done fast or I'm gonna get killed of COD2. Its also like a gritty mechanical version of Oblivion for the most part.

Its all about the mood created. All these games create it which is what makes them interesting. I wonder if they make another Fear expansion because in the XP pack, ...., Alma ain't dead yet!!!

I've really tried to get into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but it just doesn't do it for me for some reason, and I don't really know why, when it comes to FPS games I either like it right from the beginning and can't put it down or I shelve it, and for me its not on the shelf yet but almost.

Now FarCry I loved, and lost count of the numerous times I played through it, and when you could play through it with the enhancements, it was like a new game.

F.E.A.R. I played through 3 or 4 times
Exrtaction Point a couple of times so far, and you're right Alma is still alive, and I think she's the guys mother or something like that, its weird how she helps him sometimes when in the Red Dress, but the skinny naked apparition must be her bad side.

Going down the subway tunnel in Extraction Point when she was ahead wiping out the opposition I decided to run up behind her and walk with her, Don't try that! She killed me instantly.

One of my all time favorite run and guns is Serious Sam Second Encounter, it still has a loyal online following to this day and truly was a fun game to play.

Theres supposed to be a new Resident Evil coming, have you heard anything about it?
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 10:43:55 PM

Quote:
But, But, But....

I really do want to finish my build by the end of July, guess I will just have to pay the high price, never fear though, it usually happens about a Month after I make my purchase, so I suggest planning around the end of August.

You Too?

I wish there was a way to trick it! :lol: 
June 21, 2007 5:41:27 AM

very very interesting.

great point about more games being coded better for SLI and well established drivers in the future. that hasn't occurred to me. this in and of itself seems like the best argument for getting an SLI board and a top of the line card now to add another one later, except for one thing: are there any huge advances in graphics card technology in the coming months? Someone mentioned the teraflop card...

but then again, i suppose even if some kind of revolution does happen in about 5 months, i could always get that new card, and add another one later in SLI once the technology plateaus again. So it really comes down to the motherboard's longevity haha 8O !! tricky tricky
June 21, 2007 1:20:14 PM

Exactly, MoBo in the long run is key, at least to me, as I hate changing that out. Also, the right PSU, especially if you are going to run a quad, and perhaps, SLI. Another reason to pick the right PSU is if you are going to attempt to do any overclocking... I am no expert but I am told that overclocking the quads becomes a very serious draw on power at every turn.

In the end, Good luck, as none of us have a crystal ball!!!
June 21, 2007 3:42:30 PM

My opinion is that SLI and crossfire are only really useful for putting you above what the top range card can do.

Since obviously there is no better single card lol.
!