todd68

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
I just got an old gaming pc that looks to be a nice system for its age and in need of some upgrades. my question is that it has a ASUS P5WD2 Prem. motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5WD2_Premium/#CPUS and I have a intel i7 920 processor I would like to put in it. I know there is a bus difference between the LGA775 and LGA1366 but in my research I am a little confused due to a post I found.
"quote" Saddling up a Core i7 won't be as easy as plugging one of the new chips into your current system, though. Nehalem is built on a new LGA1366 package that isn't compatible with the existing LGA775 infrastructure. Without a front-side bus, the Core i7 also requires a chipset compatible with its QuickPath Interconnect: Intel's own X58 Express. You'll need a whole new motherboard to join the Core i7 party,
The part that is throwing me is "Without a front-side bus" part. can anyone enlightened me on what they mean and am I peeing in the wind trying this before i tear into it?
I would also like to know if this ASUS P5WD2 Prem. motherboard with a Pentium D CPU 3.40 ghz duel core is better than my AMD Athlon llx4 630 2.8GHz: 2MB quad core for gaming? ie: battlefield 3
Thank you for any help on this.

Solution
Your i7 920 definitely won't fit that motherboard. It uses a different socket type.
QuickPath Interconnect replaces the front-side bus on X58 motherboards, which you'll need if you want to use that processor.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Your i7 920 definitely won't fit that motherboard. It uses a different socket type.
QuickPath Interconnect replaces the front-side bus on X58 motherboards, which you'll need if you want to use that processor.

Solution