Sign in with
Your question

Asus, Acer, Alienware? What's best for 3D Modeling?

Tags:
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
July 30, 2012 5:58:14 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for a high end PC that can run Zbrush, Maya, and Photoshop smoothly and simultaneously.

I'll need at least 8GB-16GB of RAM and preferably at least a 1TB of memory.

It is also preferred that this desktop is able to be upgraded in graphics and RAM if necessary for later use.

I've been looking at an ASUS Essentio CM6870-US-3AD Desktop PC - 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 620, Blu-ray ROM/DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Reviews I've read have not been helpful for me to define whether this would be a good purchase for 3D modeling.

I'm looking for something that will last me in the long run and for professional use. My budget is $1000-1200.

I've been also looking at Acer and Alienware but am at loss on how they match up against each other by the dollar.

I am a 3D modeler and fresh out of college who is in desperate need of a high end desktop workstation to continue my work. Opinions and self-experience of these three brands in 3D modeling and high end graphics-related programs is greatly appreciated. This desktop would be solely used for 3D modeling and rendering of 3D textures, lights, and rigging animation.

Any opinions of these three brands and their desktops are greatly appreciated.
July 30, 2012 2:03:52 PM

first things first. unless the company has changed over the years (and it just might have since it was bought by dell i think) the products are notoriously expensive for what you actually get. i've never had a desktop from asus or acer but my laptop from asus isnt too bad for value.

3d modelling seems to work best on professional style workstations and not consumer grade machines. i work in the this field and i'm using a quadro fx 580 with a xeon w3505 cpu. the equipment is designed for doing work and not rendering games so it and the drivers are more efficient.

not saying you can not do work on a consumer grade machine, just saying that it is less efficient.

if you plan to use this for business and plan to upgrade it every few years (which good business normally requires to stay up to date) you might want to look at dell and their leasing programs. i am one to recommend dell often but for business they really do have a good system going.

your choice as always.
!