Need Help to my 2 lancard....

ichigo_san

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
i have one lancard and has a IP address subnet gateway..DNS.. and have connection to internet and also i have one another computer but i wanted it to have internet connection without using switch or hub, i mean peer to peer connection...using network cable..is it possible?? im thinking of installing one lancard for peer to peer therefore i have two lancard active which is other 1 is using to connect internet and other 1 is for lan connection and internet sharing so how could be the other lancard to be my connection between two computer or act as a switch is it possible?? or i really need use switch hub without using extra lancard?? help pls.. thanks

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
You just need a cross-over cable to go from same device to same device (Ex. PC -> PC) If you get a hub, then you can just use a regular cable. You could probably get a hub (or switch for that matter) for the same price as a NIC card though... so you may want to consider it.

ichigo_san

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
yes i do understand that the connection between two computers using cross cable..that is lancard 2... but i have a lancard 1 installed also in the same CPU with lancard 2. lancard 1 connected to modem dsl which provided me internet connection that lancard 1 have IP address subnet and gateway... what i mean if is possible using lancard 2 as my internet sharing to other workstation? is it possible or i really need to use router or switch for internet sharing with two computers?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I don't think that will work since your "lancard1" won't act as a DHCP (Which assigns IP addresses to connecting machines) or do NAT for you (Network Address Translation - It lets you use 1 public IP and translate it to many private IP's like 192.168.1.20 for example)... You can try going through the Windows Network Connection wizard and try using the other computer as your Gateway, but I can't say whether or not it will work as I've never tried this.

The other guaranteed solution is to just use a cheap router (wired if both PC's are close enough to the router).