How do I partition a second hard drive to the current hard drive?

Rattpack39

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
My computer came with a 80gb HD with windows xp pro.. I had took a 180gb hd from another comp. that was running windows xp home and connected it as a slave drive. A window popped warning me that vital info. would be deleted in order to format/ partition the second drive (180gb HD). Was this a mistake doing it in this manner? If not...How would I go about using the whole "180gb" and not just the 35gb it's only allowing me to use. And is there any way to move files so that they will be protected?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
If the Hard drive from the other computer has nothing on it that you want then go ahead and say yes to delete it.
It is just warning you that something is on there.

Actually just delete both partitions and recreate one that is the full size if you want and then format.

I have found that having extra partitions is helpful when it comes time to back up or transfer things to different places.
Another good time to have more is when you must do a system restore. You can have all of your data, documents, addresses and other things on the other partition so that they dont get lost.
Your choice though.

Rattpack39

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

Wonderful...I have already Partitioned the slave drive, but it is only letting me use 35gb of the 180gb that the drive has. How do I delete both partitions so that it is only one and how do I format it? I only have some knowledge when it comes to computers.