Sign in with
Your question

Best free anti-virus software

Last response: in Applications
January 30, 2011 8:04:16 PM

I am waiting on the parts for my first build and was thinking about what I am going to do to protect the computer once I have it. I am just wondering if there are any good free anti-virus programs out there and what everyone thinks about them.
Thanks in advance.
February 7, 2011 2:40:17 PM

skeez,
This is one of the most asked questions in all of forumdom, and you certainly should have just googled this. (that's why no one has replied) I will because I ran across some new information about Microsoft Security Essentials, that says that this free AV from Microsoft has many new features that make it a very attractive offering. In my estimation - I run a small tech service - most consumers choose AVG Anti-Virus, most techs choose Avira AntiVir Personal. Here's a paragraph from my latest tech newsletter:

Free Antivirus -- I know there are several out there – but I’ve said for years that a Free antivirus will never perform as well as a Paid antivirus. I am aware that Comcast and other internet services actually offer a free antivirus subscription with their service that most people never use or even know about. (You can log into your Comcast account, and download it for free under the Security area – It’s Norton Security Suite) But Microsoft launched their free antivirus product over a year ago called Microsoft Security Essentials, which was a very good product – and it didn’t take over your computer. Norton as well as many other big names have been known to severely degrade computer performance because their product seems to invade your entire machine. The newest version of Microsoft’s product inspects network traffic, checks Internet Explorer’s website for malicious scripts, and is a great malware scanner – and it’s free!
February 11, 2011 6:39:53 PM

there is no "best"

every product do something else

so combinig some products will help you

for prevention of spyware +trojan+bad activex an so on....

use spybot+spyware blaster

*spybot also scanning for spywares

for malaware scanning use mamlwarebytes anti malaware

Related resources
February 11, 2011 6:41:01 PM

Yep i've used them all and MSE is lightweight and performs flawlessly on a Windows 7 O/S.
Over 1yr on Win7 virus free.
Too many good things about it to list.
March 20, 2011 8:00:37 AM

Recently switched over to Microsoft Security Essentials due to the great reviews from numerous forums and sites. Previously, I was using Avast, which is a great product.

@nottoman, you state that free antivirus apps won't perform as well as the ones that you pay for, but give no evidence to backup your claims. The few reports that I've read almost always show AVG, Avast and other popular free apps scanning and finding viruses more often than Mcafee, Symantec, etc.
March 20, 2011 11:20:51 AM

The best free one is either Avast or Microsoft security essentials, ofc free ones are not as good as paid but it doesn't mean they are bad (Although some are)
April 2, 2011 1:08:17 AM

I use Norton AV online because it comes with my netzero account but if I didn't have it I'd use MSE,
dave
a b 8 Security
a b è Antivirus
April 16, 2011 10:19:00 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials IS A COMPLETE suite !
a b 8 Security
a b è Antivirus
April 17, 2011 1:45:53 AM

that list is from feb. 2010!outdated!
April 21, 2011 11:18:11 PM

Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). We have it company-wide on 50+ computers, as well as all my home computers.... Works great!
a b 8 Security
a b è Antivirus
April 21, 2011 11:20:43 PM

MSE has turned into a first rate suite!
April 25, 2011 5:50:51 AM

Well it definitely should be the one suggested by all that is MSE.
May 2, 2011 9:14:45 AM

persoanly i have used avira for over 3 years with various secondary backup scanners.
atm im using avira and malwarebytes, but last year i was using avira and emsisoft antimalware.

in that time i have not had 1 infection that has crippled my pc. until november last year when my license ran out for emsissoft.at this time i tried both avg and avast and withing 3 days i had 15 infections that avg missed and the week after i had 8 that avast missed. this is when i switched back to avira and started using malwarebytes... 6 months later 0 known infections...

so do the test yourself... get avira and back it up with an specific antimalware app. as avg and avast are very very overrated....
oh and if you think i think there bad you dont want to hear my views on MS- essentials... ;) 
May 4, 2011 2:57:10 AM

Here is my Free anti-malware software that I've been using in my computer for almost a year now. And it really protect my PC from viruses, malware, trojan etc.

Free antivirus software
AVG Free Edition 2011
Good protection from a reputable vendor. What I especially like about this software is that it stays updated and scans in the background. Little user intervention is needed.

Free spyware removal download
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Need to get rid of spyware? My current favorite malware detection and removal software is MalwareBytes. It is a free spyware removal tool, and they do have a pro version that you can consider.

Free software to clean up temp files, and other surfing trails and debris.
CCleaner
It is an application designed to optimize the performance of your PC by cleaning Windows registry regularly.
Get rid of all those unnecessary files that slow your computer in just seconds.

!