HD TV and Game Consoles

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 7, 2005 11:15:05 PM

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a 62" Mitsubishi 62725 HDTV. got an HDMI DVD
Player too ... very nice.
(Thanks again to all who replied to my post when I was looking at this TV
and a few others, all your suggestions helped my selection)

Anyway, so now I have it home (love it!!)
I went to play a video game on GameCube ... still using the RCA audio/video
cable.
Ouch .. game looks great much better than on my old TV .. but .... its
lagging ... almost unplayable.

So, my question is :

If I upgrade to using the composite/component cables for my GameCube and
XBOX .. will this fix this ?
I was going to do it anyway, just not right away .. as I have to get a
switch box. I have but one composite input left (my Comcast cable box is in
the other one).

Thanks for any info you may impart

Jon

More about : game consoles

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:36:30 PM

Jon Delano wrote:
> Anyway, so now I have it home (love it!!)
> I went to play a video game on GameCube ... still using the RCA audio/video
> cable.
> Ouch .. game looks great much better than on my old TV .. but .... its
> lagging ... almost unplayable.

Lagging? As in slowing down? That shouldn't be. The GameCube has no
idea what kind of display you are hooked up to, so it's not like it's
changing resolution or anything. I would say something more sinister
is going on.

I would recommend the component cables for your GameCube. I have mine
hooked up with those to my HDTV and it looks great in progressive-scan
mode with a lot of the newer games.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:14:29 PM

"Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in message
news:o j2nd2-8ac.ln1@developers.dsbox.com...
> Jon Delano wrote:
> > Anyway, so now I have it home (love it!!)
> > I went to play a video game on GameCube ... still using the RCA
audio/video
> > cable.
> > Ouch .. game looks great much better than on my old TV .. but .... its
> > lagging ... almost unplayable.
>
> Lagging? As in slowing down? That shouldn't be. The GameCube has no
> idea what kind of display you are hooked up to, so it's not like it's
> changing resolution or anything. I would say something more sinister
> is going on.
>
> I would recommend the component cables for your GameCube. I have mine
> hooked up with those to my HDTV and it looks great in progressive-scan
> mode with a lot of the newer games.

Some TV's buffer their input and then generate the display. This could add
half a second or so of delay between what the game does and what the TV
shows.
February 8, 2005 10:14:30 PM

Ok, this does feel like what is happening. (because its slight, but when
playing a sports simulation ... its very difficult)
Would switching to the composite cables help this .. or am I S.O.L in
regards to this situation ?

Thanks
Jon

"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
news:p c8Od.329948$6l.207848@pd7tw2no...

> "Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in message
> news:o j2nd2-8ac.ln1@developers.dsbox.com...
>> Jon Delano wrote:
>> > Anyway, so now I have it home (love it!!)
>> > I went to play a video game on GameCube ... still using the RCA
> audio/video
>> > cable.
>> > Ouch .. game looks great much better than on my old TV .. but .... its
>> > lagging ... almost unplayable.
>>
>> Lagging? As in slowing down? That shouldn't be. The GameCube has no
>> idea what kind of display you are hooked up to, so it's not like it's
>> changing resolution or anything. I would say something more sinister
>> is going on.
>>
>> I would recommend the component cables for your GameCube. I have mine
>> hooked up with those to my HDTV and it looks great in progressive-scan
>> mode with a lot of the newer games.
>
> Some TV's buffer their input and then generate the display. This could add
> half a second or so of delay between what the game does and what the TV
> shows.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:08:18 AM

I've got the same set (and love it too) with my PS2 hooked up via the
component cables and there is definitely no lag. The newest Bond game is the
only one I have that supports wide screen (I don't play that much really)
but all of them look and play fine.

bobukcat

"Jon Delano" <jd31068@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have recently purchased a 62" Mitsubishi 62725 HDTV. got an HDMI DVD
> Player too ... very nice.
> (Thanks again to all who replied to my post when I was looking at this TV
> and a few others, all your suggestions helped my selection)
>
> Anyway, so now I have it home (love it!!)
> I went to play a video game on GameCube ... still using the RCA
audio/video
> cable.
> Ouch .. game looks great much better than on my old TV .. but .... its
> lagging ... almost unplayable.
>
> So, my question is :
>
> If I upgrade to using the composite/component cables for my GameCube and
> XBOX .. will this fix this ?
> I was going to do it anyway, just not right away .. as I have to get a
> switch box. I have but one composite input left (my Comcast cable box is
in
> the other one).
>
> Thanks for any info you may impart
>
> Jon

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:52:32 PM

Well I ordered a component cable for my GameCube (www.lik-sang.com) , it
came in last week and tested the game (HomeRun Kings).
It game looked even better than it did using the RCA inputs, the lag wasn't
as pronounced but was certainly still there.
(as the pitcher throws the ball you have to move a "swing zone" to adjust to
where the ball is .. that is that part that lags)

When I put it back on my old TV its fine (55" Sony standard TV)

I don't notice anything like this using my xbox. Played the new 2K5 ESPN
baseball game, seemed to be just fine.
Could it be that HomeRun Kings (being from 2000) is just not going to work
on my TV?

Thanks
Jon

!