Client Unknown to Auth

I have a problem where friends, trying to connect to my listen server,
encounter the "Client unknown to auth" error while awaiting connection. I
have heard about a solution where "authorize.quake3arena.com" is added to
the "127.0.0.1" line of a system's HOSTS file. Is this solution strictly
for LAN connections or can they be used over the internet for simple, listen
server configurations? TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about client unknown auth

    Strictly for lan I would assume, because you'd be resolving the 'ip
    hostmask' authorize.quake3arena.com to something that was local, rather than
    searching the internet for it.

    "StANTo" <AskMe@bob.com> wrote in message
    > Strictly for lan I would assume, because you'd be resolving the 'ip
    > hostmask' authorize.quake3arena.com to something that was local, rather
    > than searching the internet for it.

    Thanks for your reply. Do you think it would work if a separate line was
    added, to their hosts file, with my listen-server's IP number( followed by
    "authorize.quake3arena.com")? I know that it would probably need to be
    removed whenever they played someone else, but as long as their connecting
    strictly to my listen-server (which has a static IP address) would this
    eliminate the "Client unknown to auth" error?

    Tim wrote:

    > I have a problem where friends, trying to connect to my listen server,
    > encounter the "Client unknown to auth" error while awaiting connection.
    > I have heard about a solution where "authorize.quake3arena.com" is added
    > to the "127.0.0.1" line of a system's HOSTS file. Is this solution
    > strictly for LAN connections or can they be used over the internet for
    > simple, listen server configurations? TIA

    found this with google:
    http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&q=client_unknown_to_auth+&btnG=Search
    http://forums.ravensoft.com/ib/ikonboard.pl?;act=ST;f=2;t=1809;hl=client_unknown_to_auth
    http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/q3a/index.html#auth
    CLIENT_UNKNOWN_TO_AUTH

    Graeme Devine recently updated his .plan with very complete information about CLIENT_UNKNOWN_TO_AUTH errors.

    See some additional information from the gameadmins.com mailing list:

    If the server you are playing on and the auth server don't see you as the
    same IP (for instance you are trying to play on a public internet server
    that's on your LAN, and your internet access is using NAT), then it won't
    work.

    It used to work in 1.31, and it doesn't in 1.32. PunkBuster requires
    reliable auth of the players. What you can do:

    - run a server with sv_strictauth 0 and you'll be able to join your
    server. This will be the same behaviour as 1.31

    - connect to a server on the internet before you connect to your local
    server (this will trigger your IP into the cache of the auth server for
    15mn and let you in to your local server).

    - setup two NATs, one for your client one for your server and make sure
    your server and Id's auth see the same IP. (this one ain't for network
    setup newbies)
    ---------------------------
    Client_Unknown_to_Auth

    The biggest Quake 3 dilemma has been "Client_Unknown_to_Auth". Wtf is
    that?! This has been baffling us all. Having gotten no real explanation,
    I will tell you this geeks theory: Since the crash of the id master
    server, it is my belief that it is having a hard time resolving the dns of
    many users. I also believe this is why there is a cdkey issue. Almost as
    though their authorization server was wiped clean. While not proven, that
    is my theory.

    Ok, so what to do with the "client..." thing? Your first choice is to
    wait it out. many have reported if they wait long enough, they get in.
    Oh I know, you don't want to wait. So here's what you can do to help
    yourself think you are in control;

    In Windows find the hosts.sam file. Open it with notepad and type:

    192.246.40.56 authorize.quake3arena.com

    then choose Save as, All Files, and save it as hosts, no extension just
    hosts. The theory is that this helps resolve the dns.

    One more trick is to join a game successfully that you know you can join,
    such as a plain old DM game, hit esc and go to the multiplayer menu again
    and click specify then type the IP address manually of the server you
    wanted to join but couldn't due to the Client blah blah error. This also
    works for those of you trying to join your own server. I know, Irun one
    and it's the only way I can join it from my IP range.

    --------------------------

    Client_Unknown_to_Auth Now please understand I can only guess here. I
    present the evidence, you decide.

    My experience with this has been for a couple of reasons. First one being
    that you are sharing a cdkey with someone on your network. Or trying to
    join a server on your own network. The IP address has problems resolving.

    The other reason may be disputed, but I have the feeling is about 80%
    accurate. After the idmaster suffers a crash, it takes a while for it to
    "refresh" itself. Now not knowing exactly how the servers for
    authentication and masters work, I can't give you techie terms here. But I
    believe that after that server has suffered a down-age, it has to rebuild
    it's database of dns and therefore some of us are still left with our dns
    unable to be resolved. (Domain name server-for those interested) What that
    means is that people in certain number groups will suffer this error. And
    it mysteriously clears itself up. I only say this because it has happened
    to me on 2 separate occasions. Once quite a few months ago and again this
    week.

    A way around this problem is this: Connect to another server, hit escape
    then Leave Arena. Now go to Mutliplayer>Internet>Specify and type in the
    IP and the port of the server you were unable to join. It will then join
    that server just fine. For some reason, it previously could not connect
    you past the idmaster server. Once successfully connected to another
    server, you can choose the server that failed by IP address.

Connection Servers Video Games