Client Unknown to Auth

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 8, 2005 12:58:48 PM

I have a problem where friends, trying to connect to my listen server,
encounter the "Client unknown to auth" error while awaiting connection. I
have heard about a solution where "authorize.quake3arena.com" is added to
the "127.0.0.1" line of a system's HOSTS file. Is this solution strictly
for LAN connections or can they be used over the internet for simple, listen
server configurations? TIA

More about : client unknown auth

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 7:10:07 PM

Strictly for lan I would assume, because you'd be resolving the 'ip
hostmask' authorize.quake3arena.com to something that was local, rather than
searching the internet for it.

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem where friends, trying to connect to my listen server,
>encounter the "Client unknown to auth" error while awaiting connection. I
>have heard about a solution where "authorize.quake3arena.com" is added to
>the "127.0.0.1" line of a system's HOSTS file. Is this solution strictly
>for LAN connections or can they be used over the internet for simple,
>listen server configurations? TIA

January 8, 2005 7:10:08 PM

"StANTo" <AskMe@bob.com> wrote in message
> Strictly for lan I would assume, because you'd be resolving the 'ip
> hostmask' authorize.quake3arena.com to something that was local, rather
> than searching the internet for it.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it would work if a separate line was
added, to their hosts file, with my listen-server's IP number( followed by
"authorize.quake3arena.com")? I know that it would probably need to be
removed whenever they played someone else, but as long as their connecting
strictly to my listen-server (which has a static IP address) would this
eliminate the "Client unknown to auth" error?
January 8, 2005 7:29:09 PM

Tim wrote:

> I have a problem where friends, trying to connect to my listen server,
> encounter the "Client unknown to auth" error while awaiting connection.
> I have heard about a solution where "authorize.quake3arena.com" is added
> to the "127.0.0.1" line of a system's HOSTS file. Is this solution
> strictly for LAN connections or can they be used over the internet for
> simple, listen server configurations? TIA

found this with google:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindo...
http://forums.ravensoft.com/ib/ikonboard.pl?;act=ST;f=2;t=1809;hl=client_unknown_to_auth
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/q3a/index.html#aut...
CLIENT_UNKNOWN_TO_AUTH

Graeme Devine recently updated his .plan with very complete information about CLIENT_UNKNOWN_TO_AUTH errors.

See some additional information from the gameadmins.com mailing list:

If the server you are playing on and the auth server don't see you as the
same IP (for instance you are trying to play on a public internet server
that's on your LAN, and your internet access is using NAT), then it won't
work.

It used to work in 1.31, and it doesn't in 1.32. PunkBuster requires
reliable auth of the players. What you can do:

- run a server with sv_strictauth 0 and you'll be able to join your
server. This will be the same behaviour as 1.31

- connect to a server on the internet before you connect to your local
server (this will trigger your IP into the cache of the auth server for
15mn and let you in to your local server).

- setup two NATs, one for your client one for your server and make sure
your server and Id's auth see the same IP. (this one ain't for network
setup newbies)
---------------------------
Client_Unknown_to_Auth

The biggest Quake 3 dilemma has been "Client_Unknown_to_Auth". Wtf is
that?! This has been baffling us all. Having gotten no real explanation,
I will tell you this geeks theory: Since the crash of the id master
server, it is my belief that it is having a hard time resolving the dns of
many users. I also believe this is why there is a cdkey issue. Almost as
though their authorization server was wiped clean. While not proven, that
is my theory.

Ok, so what to do with the "client..." thing? Your first choice is to
wait it out. many have reported if they wait long enough, they get in.
Oh I know, you don't want to wait. So here's what you can do to help
yourself think you are in control;

In Windows find the hosts.sam file. Open it with notepad and type:

192.246.40.56 authorize.quake3arena.com

then choose Save as, All Files, and save it as hosts, no extension just
hosts. The theory is that this helps resolve the dns.

One more trick is to join a game successfully that you know you can join,
such as a plain old DM game, hit esc and go to the multiplayer menu again
and click specify then type the IP address manually of the server you
wanted to join but couldn't due to the Client blah blah error. This also
works for those of you trying to join your own server. I know, Irun one
and it's the only way I can join it from my IP range.

--------------------------

Client_Unknown_to_Auth Now please understand I can only guess here. I
present the evidence, you decide.

My experience with this has been for a couple of reasons. First one being
that you are sharing a cdkey with someone on your network. Or trying to
join a server on your own network. The IP address has problems resolving.

The other reason may be disputed, but I have the feeling is about 80%
accurate. After the idmaster suffers a crash, it takes a while for it to
"refresh" itself. Now not knowing exactly how the servers for
authentication and masters work, I can't give you techie terms here. But I
believe that after that server has suffered a down-age, it has to rebuild
it's database of dns and therefore some of us are still left with our dns
unable to be resolved. (Domain name server-for those interested) What that
means is that people in certain number groups will suffer this error. And
it mysteriously clears itself up. I only say this because it has happened
to me on 2 separate occasions. Once quite a few months ago and again this
week.

A way around this problem is this: Connect to another server, hit escape
then Leave Arena. Now go to Mutliplayer>Internet>Specify and type in the
IP and the port of the server you were unable to join. It will then join
that server just fine. For some reason, it previously could not connect
you past the idmaster server. Once successfully connected to another
server, you can choose the server that failed by IP address.
!