Front Panel Audio Problem

cart0181

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
Hello,
I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but all I have been finding is situations "similar" to mine, but not quite the same.
Ok, I bought a Logisys FP801SL (Not to be confused with Logitech) deluxe front panel that included some audio ports and mounts in a standard 5.25" drive bay. The problem is I can't seem to figure out how to get the audio pins connected correctly to my motherboard. I really have spent a lot of time on this myself, reading/trying different things. Please help.

Goal: Plug in a set of headphones to the FRONT panel and have the speakers turn off in the process. And vice versa. The speakers should be connected to the port in the BACK of my computer, where they've always been.

Front Panel Connectors:
Mic
Mic Power
Ground
Line in R
Line in L
Ground
Line out R
Line out L
Ground

Motherboard Header:
AUD_MIC
AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS
AUD_VCC
AUD_FPOUT_R
AUD_RET_R
HP_ON
AUD_FPOUT_L
AUD_RET_L

I'm pretty sure this is a fairly standard arangement for a motherboard audio header. Through some research, I've determined AUD_MIC_BIAS is where I should be connecting the power for the mic. Also, the AUD_VCC means +5 volts and HP_ON should be a headphone amp on signal. So far I have not been using the AUD_VCC or HP_ON pins. I've been letting the "extra grounds" dangle. So far the best I can do is lose the rear ports and have to connect everything in the front, so I have to physically disconnect the speakers from the front to plug in the headphones. No good! :(

I could really use some help from someone experienced at connecting front audio ports. Thanks in advance.

cart0181

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
Hey mpilchfamily, thanks for the response.

That is how I had it connected, with one clarification. You wrote:
Mic Ground -> Aud_Mic_Bias
Groung -> AUD_GND
Did you mean?
Mic Power -> Aud_Mic_Bias
Mic Ground -> AUD_GND

Or...
Mic Ground -> Aud_Mic_Bias
Other Ground ->AUD_GND

if the second is true, which other ground should I connect there? and should I then leave the Mic Power disconnected?

cart0181

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
Well, I'm going to chalk this up to a POS front panel made by Logisys.
The audio jacks they put in this thing are garbage. Most headphone jacks are "switchable" jacks, these aren't. I actually tried to "transplant" a different audio jack into this thing. After a couple more hours of soldering and messing around, I still couldn't get it to work right. So, I give up. Next time I'll just buy a different front panel. www.frontx.com seems interesting. I just wish I could get my $34 back for this POS.