question on geometry on 32" tube hdtv's crt's

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 8, 2005 1:49:44 AM

I have a question -
I have a Sanyo ht32744 32" crt hdtv right now that is a good set
but I am considering returning it because of one issue.
When watching any content that does not fill the entire screen
vertically the top edge of the picture is at even height on the left and
right sides.
However the middle of the top edge is about 4-5 millimeters lower than
the edges.
I went to best buy today to check out the Samsung TX-P3271H. I switched
the display unit to 16:9 and got the same effect at the top edge of the
picture. My question is this problem common to all crt hdtv's ? If it is
I will just keep the Sanyo set I have as it is a good unit in all other
areas.
Also does anyone know if there is any way to correct this in the
Samsungs service menu if I decide to get this unit ?

Thanks
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 9:28:52 AM

Stygian <no@no.com> wrote in news:D ZGdnYT9H5lBq5XfRVn-tA@giganews.com:

> I have a question -
> I have a Sanyo ht32744 32" crt hdtv right now that is a good set
> but I am considering returning it because of one issue.
> When watching any content that does not fill the entire screen
> vertically the top edge of the picture is at even height on the left
and
> right sides.
> However the middle of the top edge is about 4-5 millimeters lower than
> the edges.
> I went to best buy today to check out the Samsung TX-P3271H. I switched
> the display unit to 16:9 and got the same effect at the top edge of the
> picture. My question is this problem common to all crt hdtv's ? If it
is
> I will just keep the Sanyo set I have as it is a good unit in all other
> areas.
> Also does anyone know if there is any way to correct this in the
> Samsungs service menu if I decide to get this unit ?

My Samsung 2795HF needed some pretty severe pincushion adjustment when it
came out of the box. It could probably still use a bit of it on the 480i
side of things, but I don't use that for anything except checking up on
my computer when it's doing things in the background.

The service menu let me do the adjustments, but if you're going to mess
around in there yourself, take my advice and write down all the settings
before you change any of them.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

February 8, 2005 10:17:35 AM

Have you checked with the manufacturer as to what the actual specifications
regarding this particular symptom is. It may be totally within the
manufacturing specifications of their product. Let's see 4 to 5 mm @ 2.5 CM
per Inch? About 1/8 of an inch differential left right and centre?
"Dave Oldridge" <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Stygian <no@no.com> wrote in news:D ZGdnYT9H5lBq5XfRVn-tA@giganews.com:
>
>> I have a question -
>> I have a Sanyo ht32744 32" crt hdtv right now that is a good set
>> but I am considering returning it because of one issue.
>> When watching any content that does not fill the entire screen
>> vertically the top edge of the picture is at even height on the left
> and
>> right sides.
>> However the middle of the top edge is about 4-5 millimeters lower than
>> the edges.
>> I went to best buy today to check out the Samsung TX-P3271H. I switched
>> the display unit to 16:9 and got the same effect at the top edge of the
>> picture. My question is this problem common to all crt hdtv's ? If it
> is
>> I will just keep the Sanyo set I have as it is a good unit in all other
>> areas.
>> Also does anyone know if there is any way to correct this in the
>> Samsungs service menu if I decide to get this unit ?
>
> My Samsung 2795HF needed some pretty severe pincushion adjustment when it
> came out of the box. It could probably still use a bit of it on the 480i
> side of things, but I don't use that for anything except checking up on
> my computer when it's doing things in the background.
>
> The service menu let me do the adjustments, but if you're going to mess
> around in there yourself, take my advice and write down all the settings
> before you change any of them.
>
> --
> Dave Oldridge+
> ICQ 1800667
>
> A false witness is worse than no witness at all.

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:47:32 AM

Stygian wrote:

> I have a question -
> I have a Sanyo ht32744 32" crt hdtv right now that is a good set
> but I am considering returning it because of one issue.
> When watching any content that does not fill the entire screen
> vertically the top edge of the picture is at even height on the
> left and right sides.
> However the middle of the top edge is about 4-5 millimeters lower
> than the edges.

CRTs in general have a much easier time adjusting the geometry of
vertical lines than of horizontal ones. Don't be surprised if there's
no good way to correct it.
!