Sign in with
Your question

Cannot format hard drive or type

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
October 3, 2009 1:43:58 PM

Hi
I am really stuck here. I have a PC that has gone haywire. Hotkeys work but cannot type numbers and letters. System restore no longer works either.
It doesn't have a floppy drive and won't let me format it with a xp disc, it says the existing OS is newer than my disc. Tried memory stick but it won't acknowledge it.
It has a Sata hard drive and the CD drive uses the same type of cable. There is nowhere to plug in a floppy drive cable.
I would appreciate any help at dummy level please.
Thanks
Keith

More about : format hard drive type

Anonymous
October 7, 2009 9:50:33 PM

hi i was just reading your problem, you can not format or install from your xp disc while in windows, you can put your xp disc in and when it opens you could try clicking on repair xp while in windows.

if that does not work you would have to install a new copy of xp from your disc. put your disc in the drive then reboot your system, it should reboot asking if you want to boot from dvd, if that comes up hit any key to continue that will load the drivers and software for xp,

it will then come up with a box showing your c drive, you can then just format it by following the instruction it gives you, remember you will have to delete the old partion from their and then it will install a clean copy of windows xp for you.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU DONT HAVE PERSONAL DATA YO WANTTO KEEP.
!