Hosting a server behind a modem-router.

Hi,

I've recently reloaded Q3A and I'm trying to create a server for my
friends to play on, but noone is able to connect - they just get the
message 'Awaiting Challenge' and the count up.

Here's my set up:

BT ADSL into an 'Addon' MC8000UE-S4 (4 port modem-router). I think the
same model is also distributed by Econ.
My PC is running Windows XP Pro. It's assigned an IP by DHCP by the
router, but it always stays the same because there's usually just the
one computer on the network.

I have enabled port forwarding (called 'Virtual Server' on this router)
on port 27960 UDP on the router, and that didn't work.
I have tried changing the server port ( +set net_port 28000 on the
shortcut) and enabling port forwarding for that too.
I also added port forwarding for TCP on the same ports, to no avail.
I placed the PC in the DMZ, and it still didn't work.

Just in case, I've just tried turning off DHCP and assigned a static IP
to the PC with no luck.

Now, I know it's a router problem because my brother, using a PC I
built two days ago with practically the same setup, but who doesn't use
router, is able to run a server that I can connect to. (I can also see
and join servers in the Multiplayer list).

I'm saving the settings and rebooting the router with each change,
checking the external IP (on the router) and the private network IP (on

the PC) each time just to make sure.

Is there anything I've missed here? This is doing my head in.

As an aside, port forwarding does work on this router - I've 'fixed' my
low-id problem on eDonkey by enabling p.f.

TIA for any help.

Andy

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

Andy wrote:

> As an aside, port forwarding does work on this router - I've 'fixed' my
> low-id problem on eDonkey by enabling p.f.
>
> TIA for any help.

Do you have a modem AND a router? or are they the same unit? If so, you will
have a bitch of a time getting anything past BOTH the modem AND the router.
The router is probably not needed if your modem gets an IP. You should
replace the router with a cheap hub and you will have no more trouble.

It's a combined ADSL modem and router. The Internet side of the unit
gets the IP from my ISP (BT Internet) through the phone line and there
are four ethernet ports which (by default) get assigned Class-A private
addresses (10.x.x.x) by the LAN side of the router.

I've sent an email to the manufacturer's tech-support line, so here's
hoping.

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

wrote:

> As an aside, port forwarding does work on this router - I've 'fixed' my
> low-id problem on eDonkey by enabling p.f.
>
> TIA for any help.

Do you have windows XP? Is the firewall enabled?
That will stop you cold, or if you have another software firewall on, that
will do it too.

I have Sygate running, and XP firewall turned off.

But I've tried this with Sygate on and off even in the DMZ (which I
didn't like doing, naturally, but it was only for a few minutes).

Out of interest, the server my brother ran worked with Sygate running
(and quake3.exe given permission for incoming and outgoing traffic).

<asavidge@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've recently reloaded Q3A and I'm trying to create a server for my
> friends to play on, but noone is able to connect - they just get the
> message 'Awaiting Challenge' and the count up.
>
> Here's my set up:
>
> BT ADSL into an 'Addon' MC8000UE-S4 (4 port modem-router). I think the
> same model is also distributed by Econ.
> My PC is running Windows XP Pro. It's assigned an IP by DHCP by the
> router, but it always stays the same because there's usually just the
> one computer on the network.
>
> I have enabled port forwarding (called 'Virtual Server' on this router)
> on port 27960 UDP on the router, and that didn't work.
> I have tried changing the server port ( +set net_port 28000 on the
> shortcut) and enabling port forwarding for that too.
> I also added port forwarding for TCP on the same ports, to no avail.
> I placed the PC in the DMZ, and it still didn't work.
>
> Just in case, I've just tried turning off DHCP and assigned a static IP
> to the PC with no luck.
>
> Now, I know it's a router problem because my brother, using a PC I
> built two days ago with practically the same setup, but who doesn't use
> router, is able to run a server that I can connect to. (I can also see
> and join servers in the Multiplayer list).
>
> I'm saving the settings and rebooting the router with each change,
> checking the external IP (on the router) and the private network IP (on
>
> the PC) each time just to make sure.
>
> Is there anything I've missed here? This is doing my head in.
>
> As an aside, port forwarding does work on this router - I've 'fixed' my
> low-id problem on eDonkey by enabling p.f.
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> Andy

Did you port port forward 27960 to the ip of the comp running your q3
server? that would be its internel ip, i did have the same problem myself
as i am behind a NAT but in the end i got it sorted, let me know if you have
any luck.
Nice1

<asavidge@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,

<snip>

>> Now, I know it's a router problem because my brother, using a PC I
> built two days ago with practically the same setup, but who doesn't use
> router, is able to run a server that I can connect to. (I can also see
> and join servers in the Multiplayer list).
>

> TIA for any help.
>
> Andy

It would appear then that the router may be the cause of the network
disagreement. Have you tried contacting the support line of the router
manufacturer? They built the thing so may have some free advice available
for their customers. Good luck -
m_u

Andy

Fixed.

I borrowed another conexant chipset adsl router from work and it worked
straight off. There was about 2 versions difference in the firmware, so
although they were different boxes I risked the firmware upgrade and
now it's perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions etc.