FCC ask for $500 Million rent from Broadcasters

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 8, 2005 7:13:07 AM

Every year the same ritual. But this year could be different.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu...

If this is rent will the current owners get it? The Government does not
own channels 54, 55 and 59 anymore. If rent is collected it should be
transferred to the properties owner.

In fact in a free market shouldn't the owner be the one determining the
amount of rent? These Republicans should understand at least that simple
principle or have their principles been left in a the deep and misty past.

Bob Miller
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:51:12 PM

Bob Miller wrote:
> Every year the same ritual. But this year could be different.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu...

> If this is rent will the current owners get it? The Government does
not
> own channels 54, 55 and 59 anymore. If rent is collected it should be

> transferred to the properties owner.

Who do you think owns it, if not the Government?

Please don't say "The tax payers".

It's like saying the tax payers own the roads.. of course, try driving
120 mph and see how much property rights you have.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 8:24:09 PM

Larry Bud wrote:
> Bob Miller wrote:
>
>>Every year the same ritual. But this year could be different.
>>

> http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu...
>
>>If this is rent will the current owners get it? The Government does
>
> not
>
>>own channels 54, 55 and 59 anymore. If rent is collected it should be
>

>>transferred to the properties owner.
>

> Who do you think owns it, if not the Government?
>
> Please don't say "The tax payers".
>
> It's like saying the tax payers own the roads.. of course, try driving
> 120 mph and see how much property rights you have.

It seems that bob is so dumb that he doesn't understand why the
government is doing this. They want to get the sqatters off of those
frequencies so that they can be used by the new leaseholders.

Matthew

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 9:03:43 PM

"It seems that bob is so dumb that he doesn't understand why the
government is doing this."

Not only that, he is about at the end of his rope, he does not know what to
do next, heck some old times on AVS clime to have no idea who he is these
days! Can you dig that? Poor booby, needs to retire (and watch his hand held
SDTV) if he even (actually) works now days. It is, almost funny.

Fear can hold you prisoner
Hope can set you free

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> Larry Bud wrote:
>> Bob Miller wrote:
>>
>>>Every year the same ritual. But this year could be different.
>>>

>> http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu...
>>
>>>If this is rent will the current owners get it? The Government does
>>
>> not
>>
>>>own channels 54, 55 and 59 anymore. If rent is collected it should be
>>

>>>transferred to the properties owner.
>>

>> Who do you think owns it, if not the Government?
>>
>> Please don't say "The tax payers".
>>
>> It's like saying the tax payers own the roads.. of course, try driving
>> 120 mph and see how much property rights you have.
>>

> It seems that bob is so dumb that he doesn't understand why the government
> is doing this. They want to get the sqatters off of those frequencies so
> that they can be used by the new leaseholders.
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Matthew
>
> I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion, I'll sell you one.
> Which one do you want?
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:04:11 AM

Larry Bud wrote:
> Bob Miller wrote:
>
>>Every year the same ritual. But this year could be different.
>>

> http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu...
>
>>If this is rent will the current owners get it? The Government does
>
> not
>
>>own channels 54, 55 and 59 anymore. If rent is collected it should be
>

>>transferred to the properties owner.
>

> Who do you think owns it, if not the Government?
>
> Please don't say "The tax payers".
>
> It's like saying the tax payers own the roads.. of course, try driving
> 120 mph and see how much property rights you have.

Well the "roads" channels marked 54, 55 and 59 have leaseholders who
have paid for the right to use those channels or sub lease them. The
Government has no right to charge rent on them or determine the rent to
be charged. At the least if rent is collected by the government it
should be passed on to the current lease holder.

The idea that the government could both sell a lease to these channels,
deny said same leaseholder the right to use them, let someone else use
instead and indefinitely, charge them rent and pocket it is ridiculous
on its face.

Bob Miller
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:21:17 AM

Larry Bud wrote:

> Bob Miller wrote:
>
>>Every year the same ritual. But this year could be different.
>>

> http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu...
>
>>If this is rent will the current owners get it? The Government does
>
> not
>
>>own channels 54, 55 and 59 anymore. If rent is collected it should be
>

>>transferred to the properties owner.
>

> Who do you think owns it, if not the Government?
>
> Please don't say "The tax payers".
>
> It's like saying the tax payers own the roads.. of course, try driving
> 120 mph and see how much property rights you have.

If you want to look at it that way you can also say that the government
owns everything. All property, your car, your house, your land and more
so each year, your kids. Try to dump toxic waste on YOUR land, try to
operate YOUR car without it complying with a myriad of regulations, try
driving it drunk and in many instances they can confiscate it. Try not
paying "rent" on it in the form of license fees.

Try handcuffing your kid to a radiator to keep them from doing drugs or
running amuck with ex cons they have befriended.

The government holds the basic title to everything that exist in its
jurisdiction.

The degree to which you "OWN" anything is prescribed in detail by the
government. The difference between owning and leasing TV spectrum from
the government is very subtle. The broadcasters "lease" their spectrum
from the government/taxpayers. I would suggest that broadcasters have
FAR MORE SAY over their control of the TV spectrum they "lease" than you
or I do over OUR HOMES that we "own".

Because when it comes right down to it broadcasters have more POLITICAL
POWER than you or I do. Your local community, like it or not, can
probably take your home from you with emminent domain laws and put up a
gas station in its place a lot easier than a Republican controlled
government in DC can take a TV license away from the least powerful
broadcaster.

In fact its never been done that I know of.

So who "owns" and who "leases" is semantics at best.

Bob Miller
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 8:20:37 AM

> > Please don't say "The tax payers".
> >
> > It's like saying the tax payers own the roads.. of course, try
driving
> > 120 mph and see how much property rights you have.
> >

> If you want to look at it that way you can also say that the
government
> owns everything. All property, your car, your house, your land and
more
> so each year, your kids.

They do. Try not paying your property taxes for a little while and see
what happens.

Property rights are extremely diminished in this country this century.

> So who "owns" and who "leases" is semantics at best.

You're making my point for me.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 7:32:19 PM

These Republicans should understand at least that simple
principle or have their principles been left in a the deep and misty
past.

Bob Miller

No BOB, it is YOUR principles that have been left in the deep past.
Your chronic lying proves that doesn't it?
!