How to Play .264 Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvyno

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hello,

I have a security camera system at my house, and today for the first time I wanted to watch some of the past recordings. When I download the video files, it comes in a .264 file and a .ttl file. I'm assuming the .264 file is the video itself since the .TTL files are only 1KB.

I can't seem to find any video players that can play the .264 file type. I've tried VLC Player, Windows Media Player, and Winamp.

Does anyone know what type of video player can play this type of file?

Thanks,
Calvyno

A .264 is a raw video file. Usually, the .264 video is in some kind of container that the player will recognize like avi or mkv.

You should be able to play these raw video files, but you may need to change the extension. Rename the file extension to .h264 and try to play in VLC. That should work.

calvyno

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Doesn't seem to work. I've tried both .mkv and .h264.

VLC opens and it looks like it's about to play a widescreen video, then it just stops as if I just turned on VLC and haven't opened a file for it to play yet.

lungjian

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Also, try using "Extension Changer" to change the extension properly. It's available from Download.com, but I don't know if it works with Win7. Sometimes when you change a file extension in Explorer, it simply appends an extra extension. You might see ".h264", but the full filename might show ".264.h264".

moxin

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

please provide the link!?! i also have a dvr but cannot play the .264 files!
Thanks in advance.

djshiggles

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I am having the same issue. The files coming from the DVR security system are .264 NOT .h264

I also received a disk with playback software, and that works fine for simply viewing the files. My issue is I want to edit the files... Basically, I have 9 clips from 9 cameras, I need to edit it down to one file... None of the video editing software I have tried recognizes the file...

I would assume I need to somehow convert the .264 to a .h264 first (which seems like can be opened with Quicktime and others quite easily)

Changing the extension from .264 to .h264 does not work. I have tried (trial) versions of several converters from download.com that supposedly can convert a .264 to .avi or .mpeg, but after conversion the quality is terrible...

I would think there has to be a way to accomplish this conversion without losing the quality. If it were .h264, i can clip in Quicktime and then edit elsewhere without losing quality...

Anyway, any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

RicardoJer

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

Hi Biwas

I could really do with this software if you could provide a link please? I'm suprised it's so difficult to play back these files.

Many thanks.

RicardoJer

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

I would appreciate this too if you could provide a link?

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.