After Windows XP reinstall with old user profile, MSN 8009..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

ave a Windows XP installed hard disk crashed. So that I re-install the
Windows XP with a new hard disk and copy the old user profiles to the new
WinXP. I reset all the file access rights and registry permissions of the
user to match the new WinXP user account's SID.

The user account runs fine for most applications, but when he login the MSN
7.0 he got 80096001 error. And he can also unable to access the
www.passport.net website and cannot login hotmail.

However, if I set the user become a local administrator then he can do these
without any problems! It is also ok if I create a new user account.

Is there any registry / file permission settings need to reset for the old
user profile to work in the new WinXP to make the passport related services
works??

--
Thanks,
Vincent

    "Vincent W.S. Tam" <tamws@NoSpam.hkstar.com> wrote:

    >ave a Windows XP installed hard disk crashed. So that I re-install the
    >Windows XP with a new hard disk and copy the old user profiles to the new
    >WinXP. I reset all the file access rights and registry permissions of the
    >user to match the new WinXP user account's SID.
    >
    >The user account runs fine for most applications, but when he login the MSN
    >7.0 he got 80096001 error. And he can also unable to access the
    >www.passport.net website and cannot login hotmail.

    If you do not get further help from here, you may want to post this to

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233

    Hi Vincent,

    Check user permissions on the program folder, you may need to add "read and
    execute".

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Vincent W.S. Tam" <tamws@NoSpam.hkstar.com> wrote in message
    > ave a Windows XP installed hard disk crashed. So that I re-install the
    > Windows XP with a new hard disk and copy the old user profiles to the new
    > WinXP. I reset all the file access rights and registry permissions of the
    > user to match the new WinXP user account's SID.
    >
    > The user account runs fine for most applications, but when he login the
    > MSN
    > 7.0 he got 80096001 error. And he can also unable to access the
    > www.passport.net website and cannot login hotmail.
    >
    > However, if I set the user become a local administrator then he can do
    > these
    > without any problems! It is also ok if I create a new user account.
    >
    > Is there any registry / file permission settings need to reset for the old
    > user profile to work in the new WinXP to make the passport related
    > services
    > works??
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Vincent

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Vincent W.S. Tam wrote:
    > ave a Windows XP installed hard disk crashed. So that I re-install the
    > Windows XP with a new hard disk and copy the old user profiles to the
    > new WinXP. I reset all the file access rights and registry
    > permissions of the user to match the new WinXP user account's SID.
    >
    > The user account runs fine for most applications, but when he login
    > the MSN
    > 7.0 he got 80096001 error. And he can also unable to access the
    > www.passport.net website and cannot login hotmail.
    >
    > However, if I set the user become a local administrator then he can
    > do these without any problems! It is also ok if I create a new user
    > account.
    >
    > Is there any registry / file permission settings need to reset for
    > the old user profile to work in the new WinXP to make the passport
    > related services works??

    The username/password for MSN Messenger is separate from the
    username/password used to get on the machie (except that they can be linked)
    and the passport (Web Page - hotmail) logon has no relation.

    If you can logon to the passport from other machines - then it may be your
    attempt at copying your profile (you should have used FAST if possible -
    otherwise, rebuilt your profile from scratch excluding files you really
    wanted (documents, etc.)) Try a different profile on the same machine.

    For most things - it is better to rebuild the profile than copy it from an
    old machine - *if* you cannot use tools like FAST or the normal profile copy
    method (System -> Advanced -> User Profiles...) where the permissions for
    use can be set properly.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP