What's that little icon on Palm OS?

September 12, 2004 9:57:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Anyone know what that little speaker looking icon means on the left side
of some icons on Palm OS'es in the "list view"? I just can't figure out
what it means..

Hannu

More about : icon palm

Anonymous
September 12, 2004 9:57:57 PM

Hannu Järvinen <hannu@nospam.com> wrote:
> Anyone know what that little speaker looking icon means on the left
> side of some icons on Palm OS'es in the "list view"? I just can't
> figure out what it means..

Would you mind to tell us what version of PalmOS and what type of
device you are talking about?

And which list view? In which software?

Regards,

Guido
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 3:04:04 AM

Guido Ostkamp wrote:
> Hannu Järvinen <hannu@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know what that little speaker looking icon means on the left
>>side of some icons on Palm OS'es in the "list view"? I just can't
>>figure out what it means..
>

> Would you mind to tell us what version of PalmOS and what type of
> device you are talking about?
>
> And which list view? In which software?
>
> Regards,
>
> Guido

Sorry.. My device is Sony Clie N610C, with PalmOS 4. By list view I mean
the main window or "desktop" or whatever, where you see all icons of
the applications on your device. In preferences there is two choices for
"List by:", "icon" and "list", "icon" showing large program icons on the
"desktop" and "list" showing a list of programs with small icons by the
name of the program. On the left side of some of these small icons in
the "list" view, there is another icon or whatever, which looks like a
tiny speaker viewed sideways. I have all in light blue except for one
which is dark blue. The software this icon shows with is some that come
with the OS, some that were added.

Hannu
September 14, 2004 1:11:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Hannu Järvinen <hannu@nospam.com> wrote:
> Sorry.. My device is Sony Clie N610C, with PalmOS 4. By list view I
> mean the main window or "desktop" or whatever, where you see all
> icons of the applications on your device.

Usually this kind of application is called a "Launcher".

> In preferences there is two choices for "List by:", "icon" and
> "list", "icon" showing large program icons on the "desktop" and
> "list" showing a list of programs with small icons by the name of
> the program. On the left side of some of these small icons in the
> "list" view, there is another icon or whatever, which looks like a
> tiny speaker viewed sideways.

This "list" is also present in my OS5 device as well as in an OS4
emulator when the standard Palm Launcher is running but I can't find
any special "speaker" sideway icons, sorry.

Not that I see other special stuff, but could it be that what you feel
to be "speaker-like sideways icon" has something to do with an
"infrared icon"? Just a guess. Another possibility is that Sony has
applied some private changes to the Launcher.

Regards,

Guido
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 5:22:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

With "like a speaker sideways", I meant that this little icon in
question, looks like a cone, same way a speaker does when you look from
the side. But actually this resemblance to a speaker and even to a cone
is all in my head, this icon is really so small that you can't make
anything out of it, that's why I can't tell what it is.. If I was to
draw it here with 0's representing pixels, it would look like this:

0
00
00
00
0

Applications it shows with are:
Adressbook
datebook
gmovie
MSgate
PGpocket
ToDoList
Memopad
PowerOne calculator

It doesn't show with:
Card info
Isilo
Mail
Prefs
Calculator
Clock+
Expense
Hotsync
MSautorun
Security
Welcome

That's all programs I have. Judging by this, it doesn't seem to be
associated with IR as some of those apps don't use IR.

Thanks for trying to help me anyways.

Hannu

!