Dual Ethernet Use

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I am currently building a new system planning on replacing a Phenom II X6 with a Bulldozer FX-8150 when its finally released. I am considering buying ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX, which has 2 Ethernet ports. This will be my primary home PC used for business, encoding, DVR, watching TV, security cameras, and occasional light gaming. I just bought the house and its already wired with CAT 6. I know it's a lot to do simultaneously with one PC but I'm hoping BD's 8 cores will allow me to manage quite a bit without having to run multiple systems. Unfortunately, I likely will end up installing the Ceton DVR and Security Cam DVR software each into separate older boxes I already own due to 24/7 operation and severely overclocking my BD will be too hard to resist.

Total setup will consist of the aforementioned parts as well a SSD, 2 x 2TB platter drives, Win 7 Ultimate, 8 GB DDR3 1600, Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner, 6870, and 3 x 23" 1080p's. Possibly will be using a 4th 1,600x1,200 monitor I have if the desktop gets too crowded with the cam feeds.

My question is can I essential create a dual network environment to avoid congestion?

Scenario 1; (1 PC)
Port 1 connected to switch 1 - Internet, home IP security cameras, NAS, WIFI access point
Port 2 connected to switch 2 - Internet, Streaming Video from DVR to HTPC's & Consoles, rest of house wired internet

Scenario 2; (3 PC's)
Port 1 connected to switch 1 - Internet, home IP security camera server (PC 2), NAS, WIFI access point
Port 2 connected to switch 2 - Internet, Ceton InfiniTV 4 DVR Server (PC 3),rest of house wired internet

Pretty much the same question with 2 different setups. Is this possible to accomplish with Win 7 Ultimate? I realize that congestion at the NIC on the BD PC will be limited in Scenario 2, regardless it would an interesting project.

Thanks in advance for any help.

As far as I know Windows7 only supports one NIC at a time. the Second NIC will only work for a internal network that uses a different IP scheme then the one the internet is on.

Since I don't know the software for the NIC, there might be a chance to load balance the NICs

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I've read a bit about load balancing 2 separate internet connections in Windows 7, it sounds as though that its not too difficult. However, I will not be installing a second modem my ISP at this point is plenty fast.

Your answer does make complete sense. If I were to go the one computer route and isolate the IP Cams, and NAS on NIC 1, then everything else including internet on NIC 2 it would make marginal sense to try to utilize the 2 ports.

I'll probably end up going with multiple machines (which is a much better solution anyway) to manage the DVR & CAM PVR. After spending time thinking about my post I realized I can just feed the cams to a separate hub to mitigate switching traffic on the internet/streaming hub.

In addition, all of this worrying about traffic might be a bit silly considering the house already has gigabit cabling installed. I've just never had the opportunity to build I house network the way I want it from the ground up with all of the pain in *ss stuff already done (cams&CAT6). I imagine I would be well served by a couple decent 1000Mbps switches, and call it a day.

Thanks for your help.

Setup a second PC in the basement or somewhere to run the security cameras. If you use a switch, the data over the ports will be sent only to the ports that need it, it's not a hub where data is broadcast over the whole network. Use remote access to connect to that computer, you can run it "headless", with maybe a monitor near it in case something breaks and you can't remote into it. Same thing for the DVR computer.