Chkdsk freezes at step 5

shinthos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Ok i was getting a system tray balloon saying that one or more of my files is corrupt or unreadable, please run chkdsk utility. so i scheduled one to run on my next start up... the only problem is... it never ran it until like the next 10 restarts. but when it finally ran, it just went to step five (verifying free space) and it would just stay there, i let it sit there for like 6 hours and nothing changed. O and before the chkdsk happened, i tried to remove AVG from my comp becuz it was a file that was within AVG that was corrupt and it wouldnt delete. i tried to remove it in everyway possible..i think.

Is there anything i can do?

(in case your wondering i am using express gate becuz i cannot get into my OS due to chkdsk keep running everytime i boot)

i am using XP 64-bit btw

shinthos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Thanks Zoron,

Is that the absolute thing that is happening? like i have seen other ppl with this problem but there hasn't been any real solutions that work everytime, but then again there never really is when it comes to computers. Well i think i will just wipe the hard drive becuz i want to get rid of XP 64-bit, its baddddddd

once again, Thanks for the help

When Chkdsk freezes on scanning free space... that is usually a very good indication that it is having trouble scanning whatever sector it happens to be stuck at... therefore that usually means the sector is bad. My experience with hard drives is that once a few sectors go bad, they all start going bad. Better to replace the drive than to get it working only to have it fail / freeze / corrupt files again.

TRENDING THREADS