Looking to buy a GPU tommorow.

deethree

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I recently got fed up with the crappy drivers for my old asus mobo and upgraded to a nice dual core AMD ( 5200+ ) Going to upgrade my 1gig of ram tommorow and quite possibly the on board gpu as well.

I really would like to get some general comments on a decent gpu for the my rig. I'm not really playing anything that is a killer (Classic Quake (haha I know) UT2004, and Dawn of war.) in the future we might look into ut2007 (but that looks like a 2nd gpu upgrade rather then trying to look that far off into the future.

Honestly I was looking into a 8800GTS (640mb version) After looking around at the number of games that are out for dx10 ( 0 ) and the ones I'd be playing in the near future ( 0 ) It doesn't seem that I need those ponies for a ut frag fest.

So I'm really at a minor loss. I'd add after all this that I like fooling with ubuntu once and a while and the nVidia drivers seem to be a bit more forgiving from what I've heard, not that I didn't like the gfx that my 9800p put out but getting them to work right was a pain at best.

So just asking you forumers (is that even a word?) who don't mind giving my your expert opinions and helping me out.

Thanks for taking the time to just read my thread...
d3.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Honestly I was looking into a 8800GTS (640mb version) After looking around at the number of games that are out for dx10 ( 0 )
Company of Heroes, Lost Planet demo, and Call of Juarez are Direct X10, not they're compelling reasons to upgrade.

deethree

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
From what I've read about ut3 (2007) It will need a fairly decent gpu, given that the 8800's are the first run of dx10 gpu's and that all players will be releasing new hardware on or around the time of the games release then might be a better time to buy one.

Maybe I'll just go get the 320mb version and be done with it for a while. ;)

d3.

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Honestly the gts will be good for quite awhile.No real benefit from DX10 yet . It's still the best card for the price and with your 5200 it should run like a champ.

deethree

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Looks like I could pick up a BFG GTS for $370( CDN ) which is pretty decent. Save up for the winter and play some ut2007 when the snow is flying.

;)

deethree

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Too bad for me I really wanted that 8800. They where out of the 640mb version, the 320. *sigh* So I had to get the oc2 version of the 768 or what ever it was. Buddy gave me a huge deal on it because I paid cash and he said he had one on the side for me and the "new" guy sold it before I came in.

Had to upgrade my PSU while I was at it. I never knew how loud the old one was after I've listened to this one for the last hour tweaking my box out now.

Let the flames begin, I'm a bad person... I figured I could always SLi 2 to be able to play crisis or ut2007.

Thanks for your posts,

Maybe I'll give away my old box... minus the case. I'm still using it. :D