DS3 (rev1) doesn't like 4gb

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Has anyone had any problems with a Rev. 1 Gigabyte 956 DS3 getting unstable with 4 gb of RAM?
I've been trying to pin point the reason for some random BSOD's, or just outright unexpected reboots. Overclocked and at stock values it still occurs. I had 2 gb of Corsair XMS2 at 800Mhz and soon as I got 2 more shit hit the fan.
I've run Memtest86+ overnight, Orthos overnight, Hard Drive Fitness test over night...None of which had any errors. These all passed at overclock and stock. But still the reboots and BSOD's come. I'm thinking about blaming it all on the DS3...It kinda was the bastard child, I only got it because the Asus P5 was out of stock at the time (first of Conroe boards)
Anybody have any experience with this?

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
try running the ram modules at 667mhz. most motherboards do not have the bandwidth to accomodate 4 dimms at 800mhz or above asus, gigabyte or otherwise. try lowering the speed of those modules.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I have the F11 BIOS...Its very strange..It's all or nothing. If it doesn't crash, it'll go on forever with a benchmark program or what have you...If it does crash, its doing absolutely nothing - just running a browser or Itunes.
It really is sparatic and thus far I can't find any reason in Event Viewer, and I'm not sure if I suck or what but I can't run the windows debugger in Vista for dump files. I've downloaded the 64-bit version, and the correct set of symbols but it doesn't like them for some reason.
I'm thinking about canning the board and getting the new Abit IP35 board.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
try running the ram modules at 667mhz. most motherboards do not have the bandwidth to accomodate 4 dimms at 800mhz or above asus, gigabyte or otherwise. try lowering the speed of those modules.
So you're saying he should have gotten two 2 GB modules instead of four 1s?

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
This whole theory seems kind of silly...The beauty of RAM is that you're supposed to be able to expand with it...Not re-buy it in different forms and spend a lot of $ doing it.
Seems to me any board that can't run RAM in 4 slots like advertised, like its supposed to, is not worth its salt. I ran my last Asus board with all 4 slots filled with no problems, as did my gf's. It's like buying an 8 cylinder car and then the manufacturer is like "Nevermind, it only runs on 4, sorry" Keep in mind it does this at stock folks. There has to be something wrong with the board...maybe just because its Gigabyte. Perhaps I better go back to Asus.

redbullmonsta

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
What make of RAM do you have

As i said in my post i have 4 x 1GB sticks and its stable @800 mhz

I dont think the amount or speed is the issue, down to the make more likely

Redbullmonsta

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
is there enough voltage going to your modules...probably 2.1v with corsair, the more dimms that go in the more important it is to make sure the voltage is at the maximum the dims are rated for...even though they maybe running on less than rated with 2 dimms. if you havnt changed the voltage then for sure the motherboard will have set it at 1.8v so should be upped

press CTRL+F1 on your mobo to get to the settings in bios

Has anyone had any problems with a Rev. 1 Gigabyte 956 DS3 getting unstable with 4 gb of RAM?
I've been trying to pin point the reason for some random BSOD's, or just outright unexpected reboots. Overclocked and at stock values it still occurs. I had 2 gb of Corsair XMS2 at 800Mhz and soon as I got 2 more **** hit the fan.
I've run Memtest86+ overnight, Orthos overnight, Hard Drive Fitness test over night...None of which had any errors. These all passed at overclock and stock. But still the reboots and BSOD's come. I'm thinking about blaming it all on the DS3...It kinda was the bastard child, I only got it because the Asus P5 was out of stock at the time (first of Conroe boards)
Anybody have any experience with this?

manually set the timings and up the vcore for the ram to 2.0v

as for "bandwidth to accommodate 4 slots" - load of BS

ram tho, the best setup to look for is 1) least amount of modles and 2) closest matching

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
AYe they are identical models/pairs...Hell, I even checked out the manufacture date on them and even though the two pairs were bought quite some time apart, the manufacturer week was the same.

I haven't tried pumping the RAM full of juice no, perhaps I shall. They are rated at 1.9v and thats where I have them. I think earlier I tried it and it caused errors but its worth another shot.

dont go above what they are rated or you might fry them

pffft most cheap crap boards will under and overvolt components because of cheap regulators and setups anyhow ;) if somethings rated at one speed, it has some sort of threshold or limit and wont be running flat out or anywhere near the limit.

Set it to 2.0v or 2.1v - the vdroop under load will get ~1.95v anyhow!