Sign in with
Your question

Do i get a 2900 XT 1 GB or two 8800 GTS 640?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

What to buy?

Total: 59 votes

• 2900 XT 1 GB DDR4
  • 45 %
  • 2 x 8800 640 MB
  • 56 %
June 18, 2007 7:44:32 AM

I have a sli mobo 590 from asus from last july and now i wonder if i should get a 2900 XT 1GB DDR4 or 2 x 8800 GTS 640 in sli setup?
I have a OCZ 850 W PSU so power isnt an issue.

So far my setup is this:
Asus M2N32 SLI WIFI EDtion
VIsta Ultimate
4 GB DDR2 Plat Rev 2.2 from OCZ
1280 GB HDD ( 4 x 320 from Seagate)
X-fi Platinium
DVD Burner with DL and Lightscribe
Antec P180B
Microsoft wireless Entertainment 8000 w mouse

PS! only have 1000 CDN for this.
So what would u guys done??
All advice is welcome. Personally i would love to get the ati one. But i want to be able to play Crysis and LOTRO on maxx settings without lag.

More about : 2900 8800 gts 640

June 18, 2007 7:50:46 AM

Edited, just buy an 8800 GTX. I dont see why everyone has to complicate this with 2900XT and 8800 GTS.
June 18, 2007 8:16:20 AM

Neither.

Just get one GTX.

By the time u need more pwr, u can prob pick up another for a fair bit less, or upgrade to a 89xx/9xxx card.
Related resources
June 18, 2007 8:17:58 AM

if you have to buy now get the GTX however i would wait until crysis is actually out as i read that it is running better on the 2900 i would post a link but i cant find it atm
June 18, 2007 8:21:53 AM

Quote:
if you have to buy now get the GTX however i would wait until crysis is actually out as i read that it is running better on the 2900 i would post a link but i cant find it atm

Of course Crysis run better on the 8800 GTX.
Not only is it a lot more powerful but it's much more complicated shader architecture compliments the complexity of DX10 games.
June 18, 2007 9:14:16 AM

I'd ditch the mouse.... I hate batteries!

Oh yeah... you actually asked about GPU's and Crysis...

Since Crysis isn't out, no one can honestly answer this question. My murkycrystal ball seems to indicate that there will be some more GPU's to pick from towards the end of the year, so what's the rush?

From the specs that we now have, my sli'd 6800's will run it. Prove otherwise.
June 18, 2007 10:21:39 AM

but they will run it... sli'd 6800s are pretty good...
June 18, 2007 1:19:43 PM

SLI'd 6800 Ultras are about as fast as a 7800GT.
June 18, 2007 2:14:08 PM

I'm going to stick my neck out and say a 2900 XT 1 gig. Ok, that should be a conditional answer. After all, there haven't been a lot of tests benchmarking the thing yet. I'm just not wild about SLI and I like the idea of one card having 1 gig of memory.

For the moment, however, no DX10 games are actually out, so why the rush? Until some benches are out on the games, the best you can do is make a wild guess and there's too much money involved for wild guesses. Wait, be patient, save some extra money and watch for sale prices. You'll be happier when you make a dicision that way.
June 18, 2007 3:27:08 PM

Quote:
I'm going to stick my neck out and say a 2900 XT 1 gig. Ok, that should be a conditional answer. After all, there haven't been a lot of tests benchmarking the thing yet. I'm just not wild about SLI and I like the idea of one card having 1 gig of memory.

For the moment, however, no DX10 games are actually out, so why the rush? Until some benches are out on the games, the best you can do is make a wild guess and there's too much money involved for wild guesses. Wait, be patient, save some extra money and watch for sale prices. You'll be happier when you make a dicision that way.

Nice little ATI fan-boy response there.
"I'm not wild about SLi, crossfire is so much better, and I like the idea of having 1GB of RAM, 768MB just isnt for me, and hey there are no games out yet so u just cant buy the 8800 GTX cause it could prove to have horrible performance in DX10 games, even though that makes no sense".
Not only is SLi better, but it has better drivers.
And if u want a card with 1GB of RAM that is very slightly better than the 8800 GTS, i think nVidia makes one.
We shouldnt buy a card because there are no DX10 games out yet?
What, do u think that all the current graphics cards will be afraid of DX10 or something?
No need to rush? Man, u make just about as much sense as a person who knows nothing about graphics cards.
June 18, 2007 3:48:52 PM

The 2900xt gddr4 1gig of memory does look VERY appealing.

I wouldnt say that card and a GTX would do much difference in most games.. im sure they'll just trade blows, depending if something needs mroe power or the GDDR4 and 1mb kicks in or w/e.

Your choice.
June 18, 2007 3:57:12 PM

Quote:

"I'm not wild about SLi, crossfire is so much better, and I like the idea of having 1GB of RAM, 768MB just isnt for me, and hey there are no games out yet so u just cant buy the 8800 GTX cause it could prove to have horrible performance in DX10 games, even though that makes no sense".
And if u want a card with 1GB of RAM that is very slightly better than the 8800 GTS, i think nVidia makes one.
What, do u think that all the current graphics cards will be afraid of DX10 or something?
No need to rush? Man, u make just about as much sense as a person who knows nothing about graphics cards.

Nice to know I am an ATI fanboy, I have four computers and every one of them has a Nvidia card in them, including a 8800 GTS 640 in the one I'm typing this on. I have tried SLI in the past and I'm not thrilled on Crossfire at all. In fact, I think its silly that ATI designed a card that has to have a special motherboard to be used instead of using a common motherboard design.

Yes, I stuck my neck out and expected to get chopped up for doing it. But I did state that I was making a conditional answer. I have seen no benchmarks for the 2900 with 1 gig of DDR4 memory, so the card could either be great or be a total bust. I don't know, therefore the answer is conditional. But I do like the idea of having 1 gig of memory on a single card, and I don't care if AMD/ATI makes the card or Nvidia makes it.

As to making expectations of how the current DX10 cards will work with the DX10 games that haven't been released yet, that is a wild guess and nothing more. Buying a 8800 or 2900 because a person wants a faster card with DX9 is fine. I did that myself. But making predictions about performance on games that don't exist yet doesn't make sense to me.
June 18, 2007 4:12:48 PM

Get a single 8800GTX instead as it'll outperform that 1GB 2900XT.
June 18, 2007 4:21:46 PM

i agree, the 8800gtx is a beast.
June 18, 2007 4:51:49 PM

I'd wait for benchies of the HD2900XT 1 GB GDDR4 to come out first, and then make your decision. I do wish some people here would stop speculating about either ATI's or Nvidia's unproven DX10 performance (Track). Because it is, after all just speculation.

Track: Please stop jumping into conversations about things you clearly no nothing about (Nvidia and ATI's GPU architectures, and Crysis DX10 performance), and act llike you're THE authority of that particular topic. 1280 BS posts and counting.
June 18, 2007 4:58:57 PM

Quote:

Not only is it a lot more powerful but it's much more complicated shader architecture compliments the complexity of DX10 games.

and that isn't fanboism i suppose :roll:
June 18, 2007 4:59:19 PM

If you are upgrading because of DX10, it would be better to wait.
June 18, 2007 5:29:14 PM

Quote:

Show me the bench! Until then this is only speculation... unless you're lucky enough to be working for the Crysis development team :wink:

As a matter of fact, what tells you that the shaders of the GTX are better? All they have better is the fact they are "overclocked" if compared to the rest of the chips. On the other hands, the 5 shaders per units of the HD2900XT can prove to be quite powerful for some workload, especially Dx10 ones.

Don't put me wrong. I'd put my money on the GTX if I had to. But until more then 1-2 Dx10 games are out, it's all speculations. That's why I'm waiting for product refresh line this coming winter before I get a high-end Dx10 VPU.

About the question, get a GTX over SLIed GTS for best performances as of now. That or wait for drivers to improve on the HD2900 and see if they can catch up with the GTX. That's a real possibility, especially with the improved clock speed and better bandwidth.
June 18, 2007 5:30:59 PM

Quote:
Track: Please stop jumping into conversations about things you clearly no nothing about (Nvidia and ATI's GPU architectures, and Crysis DX10 performance), and act llike you're THE authority of that particular topic. 1280 BS posts and counting.

I second!
June 18, 2007 10:26:40 PM

Supposedly the 1GB GDDR4 2900xt comes in at around 14k points on 3dmark 06 with the gtx coming in at around 12k.

Those are just stats though how it will perform on a real game cant say.. im going to take a really random guess tho and say that it will outperform the gtx at very high resolutions.
June 18, 2007 11:03:28 PM

Quote:
Supposedly the 1GB GDDR4 2900xt comes in at around 14k points on 3dmark 06 with the gtx coming in at around 12k.

Those are just stats though

No, They're not even stats unless you can back them up, where did 14k come from?
June 18, 2007 11:35:20 PM

Quote:

Show me the bench! Until then this is only speculation... unless you're lucky enough to be working for the Crysis development team :wink:

As a matter of fact, what tells you that the shaders of the GTX are better? All they have better is the fact they are "overclocked" if compared to the rest of the chips. On the other hands, the 5 shaders per units of the HD2900XT can prove to be quite powerful for some workload, especially Dx10 ones.

Don't put me wrong. I'd put my money on the GTX if I had to. But until more then 1-2 Dx10 games are out, it's all speculations. That's why I'm waiting for product refresh line this coming winter before I get a high-end Dx10 VPU.

About the question, get a GTX over SLIed GTS for best performances as of now. That or wait for drivers to improve on the HD2900 and see if they can catch up with the GTX. That's a real possibility, especially with the improved clock speed and better bandwidth.

the 8800GTX has more shader power, its 128x3 or 384 shaders per clock and they run almost twice as fast as the HD2900XT shaders do, there is no way in hell the Hd2900XT would be faster
June 18, 2007 11:38:17 PM

Quote:

We dont buy cards for tomorrow we buy them for today, millions of gamers bought a 9700Pro before DX9 was even out, and before any DX9 titles exsited, because of the DX8 level of preformance, same with DX10 cards, they are faster than any DX9 card and allow levels of play only dreamed of by the 1950XTX.
June 18, 2007 11:55:26 PM

Guru of 3D stated that Nvidia is advising their vendors that there will be a price drop on all their cards, the biggest will be 8800 Ultra ($599.00).
Looks like their concerned about ATI 2900XT cards?
June 19, 2007 12:11:36 AM

Take one for the team (tom's forum) and get the ATI card, then you can benchmark the hell out of it and give us some results and user experience :D  . Seriously though... don't SLI just get a GTX or wait for benchies and decide on the XT 1Gb (if it's better ofcourse). As for Crysis, there was a link on www.incrysis.com to a hands-on preview:

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox360/game/previews/arti...

in which they give a statement as to what system specs 'should' run Crysis at high settings. There is also a part in there that says something like it's going to take 18 months for graphic cards to catch up, allowing people to enable all of the settings available. basically making this game futureproof and fun to revisit after upgrades. They did have it listed under Xbox 360 though, and I'm pretty sure this game causes a Red Ring Of Death. :p 
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 12:16:04 AM

Quote:
God dammit, just buy an 8800 GTX. I dont see why everyone has to complicate this with 2900XT and 8800 GTS.

Easy killer :roll:
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 12:17:24 AM

Quote:

Nice to know I am an ATI fanboy, I have four computers and every one of them has a Nvidia card in them, including a 8800 GTS 640 in the one I'm typing this on. I have tried SLI in the past and I'm not thrilled on Crossfire at all. In fact, I think its silly that ATI designed a card that has to have a special motherboard to be used instead of using a common motherboard design.

Yes, I stuck my neck out and expected to get chopped up for doing it. But I did state that I was making a conditional answer. I have seen no benchmarks for the 2900 with 1 gig of DDR4 memory, so the card could either be great or be a total bust. I don't know, therefore the answer is conditional. But I do like the idea of having 1 gig of memory on a single card, and I don't care if AMD/ATI makes the card or Nvidia makes it.

As to making expectations of how the current DX10 cards will work with the DX10 games that haven't been released yet, that is a wild guess and nothing more. Buying a 8800 or 2900 because a person wants a faster card with DX9 is fine. I did that myself. But making predictions about performance on games that don't exist yet doesn't make sense to me.

You tell,em sailer :wink:
June 19, 2007 1:26:26 AM

Quote:

We dont buy cards for tomorrow we buy them for today, millions of gamers bought a 9700Pro before DX9 was even out, and before any DX9 titles exsited, because of the DX8 level of preformance, same with DX10 cards, they are faster than any DX9 card and allow levels of play only dreamed of by the 1950XTX.

I have no issue with someone buying a 8800 series card or a 2900 Xt to play DX9 games and get better performance while playing them. I did so myself, as I pointed out above. The Op, however, was asking about these cards for playing DX10 games and that was what I was responding to. No DX10 games are out, therefore no conclusions can be made as to whether or not these cards will do the job adequately, or which one will be better.
June 19, 2007 2:38:53 AM

Quote:
the 8800GTX has more shader power, its 128x3 or 384 shaders per clock and they run almost twice as fast as the HD2900XT shaders do, there is no way in hell the Hd2900XT would be faster

128x3?????? Duuuuhhhhh?????

OK, got it "shell of insanity". You got it right I think. It's 128x2, not 3. You're now at 256 vs 320 (64 times 5). If you go clock for clock, (frequency times # of shaders) NVidia has the upper hand. But anybody knowledgeable enough will tell you their is much more to the equation then this.

So YES, ATI could effectively surpass NVidia with the added bandwidth and better drivers. Probablhy not, but I'll put my money on the table in 3 months from now, no less.
June 19, 2007 3:05:30 AM

Quote:
Guru of 3D stated that Nvidia is advising their vendors that there will be a price drop on all their cards, the biggest will be 8800 Ultra ($599.00).
Looks like their concerned about ATI 2900XT cards?

I sure hope they drop the price. I really would love to have an 8800gts 320mb but the price is still too much for me.
June 19, 2007 3:11:09 AM

When do you antcipate this price drop to occur?

It could definately be the difference between an 8800GTX and an 8800GTS for me
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 3:32:44 AM

Quote:

8O So sli sucks! no wait c/f sucks 8O

WTF are you talking about :?
ONCE AGAIN YOU ARE OFF TRACK :roll:
June 19, 2007 3:39:40 AM

Must've forgotten to take his meds the last few days....
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 3:42:20 AM

Yeah the first sentance and the last sentance of what i quoted from (track)
8O :?:
June 19, 2007 4:05:21 AM

Quote:

8O So sli sucks! no wait c/f sucks 8O

WTF are you talking about :?
ONCE AGAIN YOU ARE OFF TRACK :roll:

He is Off-track? Does that mean he is derailed, or headed in the wrong direction? I read it but don't quite understand it. Maybe its just the long day.
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2007 4:23:46 AM

Quote:
I read it but don't quite understand it.

Me neither :lol: 
June 19, 2007 9:41:56 AM

Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn on June 8, 2007 - 10:44 PM

"NVIDIA may be cutting prices across the board soon and advising some of their partners to keep their inventory low. GeForce 8800 Ultra should be receiving the biggest cut and price may fall to as low as US$599. 8800GTX and 8800 GTS prices may be lowered as well to better compete against the Radeon HD 2900XT.

8600GTS and 8600GT should receive some price cuts as well when HD 2600 and 2400 cards start to flood the market. It seems that NVIDIA is adopting the price cutting strategy to put down their competitor before they have any chance to recoup any market share.""
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He doesn’t say, but with the 2900XT 1GB coming out I bet it will be soon.
June 19, 2007 10:56:11 AM

I just have to say it: :arrow: Shut up Track.

You seem to love calling people ATI fanbois without valid reasoning and if you ask me, it would seem you are an 8800 fanboi (even though if I recall correctly from another thread - you don't actually even own one).
June 19, 2007 11:29:19 AM

Quote:

wtf are you on about. He didnt even mention crossfire so why the hell are you quoting him like that.

It didnt even say anything about 8800gtx performance you retard.

He didnt say anything about 786 not being enough he just said he liked the idea of having 1gb video ram. He is just expressing an opinion that isnt fanboy like. Maybe he just likes an underdog.

He just said there arent that many dx10 performance results back which is completely true. Stop twisting the truth (infact what your saying is just a plain lie).
June 19, 2007 11:32:35 AM

Quote:

You tell,em sailer :wink:

Well said! :D 
June 19, 2007 12:31:17 PM

I concur with everyone else.Purchase an 8800GTX as it will outperform the 2900 by a large margin.And it's cheaper than using 2 8800GTS 640 in sli.You can always purchase a second 8800GTX at a later date and run SLI then.Believe me when I tell you that one GTX is very powerful.Add a second one later and you shall know no limits.At least for the several months.Think about it my friend,2 8800GTX's in SLI would kick any games butt hands down.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
June 19, 2007 12:50:24 PM

just get a 2900 XT 1 GB DDR4 trust me forget the nvidia crap
June 19, 2007 1:21:34 PM

Quote:

LMAO! :lol: 
June 19, 2007 1:50:03 PM

Quote:

now if that was a fanboy statement, your telling someone to forget the kind of GPU's which right now is out preforming ATI in both price and preformace, offering more price/preformance on the 8800GTS and better preformace/price on the 8800GTX. HD2900XT is good if your anartica and need a space heater, it makes the presshott look like its a cool running CPU.
June 19, 2007 2:43:52 PM

Quote:

wtf are you on about. He didnt even mention crossfire so why the hell are you quoting him like that.

It didnt even say anything about 8800gtx performance you retard.

He didnt say anything about 786 not being enough he just said he liked the idea of having 1gb video ram. He is just expressing an opinion that isnt fanboy like. Maybe he just likes an underdog.

He just said there arent that many dx10 performance results back which is completely true. Stop twisting the truth (infact what your saying is just a plain lie).

Makes you wonder just who the fanboy is, doesn't it?

But back to business, I've used both ATI and Nvidia cards through the years without prejudice concerning either. I just shop for the best performance for the price when I buy, with consideration of the use that the machine gets. After all, no sense in putting a super gaming card into a machine that spends most of its time doing business stuff.
June 19, 2007 3:36:34 PM

Quote:

No, They're not even stats unless you can back them up, where did 14k come from?

I read it on a reveiw site where they tested both of the cards on the same sytstem, a e6600 at 3.4gig and 2gig of ddr2 ram.

Now comes the part where you act pthetic and say its bullshit or the part where you act sensible and just say it might not be right.

It might not be true but I highly doubt theres anyone who'd lie about something like that...

I dont care about all you people calling others nvidia or ati supporters. The 2900xt 1gig gddr4 version is a GREAT card.

Any performance between that and the gtx will be so marginal.. if you like ati get the 2900xt if you like nvidia get the gtx.

Simple.
June 19, 2007 3:51:26 PM

Quote:

I read it on a reveiw site where they tested both of the cards on the same sytstem, a e6600 at 3.4gig and 2gig of ddr2 ram.

Now comes the part where you act pthetic and say its bullshit or the part where you act sensible and just say it might not be right.

It might not be true but I highly doubt theres anyone who'd lie about something like that...

I dont care about all you people calling others nvidia or ati supporters. The 2900xt 1gig gddr4 version is a GREAT card.

Any performance between that and the gtx will be so marginal.. if you like ati get the 2900xt if you like nvidia get the gtx.

Simple.

And you still haven't answered his question. He asked for a link to the site to which you referred. Instead of giving him the site, you say that its him who acts pathetic and says its bull. You're the one who's tossing out bull.

By the way, I also read a story about the 2900 XT 1 gig card in which it did better than the 8800 GTX in 3DMark06. But I don't remember that site and so I don't make a claim for the 2900 XT 1 gig. Other than that, it was for a synthetic bench only, not a real game, so it doesn't have the same impact as it would if the 2900 with 1 gig memory had beaten the 8800 GTX in FEAR, Oblivion, or some other game(s).
June 19, 2007 4:05:39 PM

Quote:

then i guess we have a different opinion on that :p 
i mean, do you believe everything (fe.) fudzilla says?...
June 19, 2007 4:06:39 PM

If you're gonna use Vista, Ati is not even that bad a choice.
Does anyone know of any sites that reviewed the 1GB version of the Ati card?

And seriously, can someone ban Track allready? :x
June 19, 2007 4:42:33 PM

There are some 3dmark results on this site:

http://www.extreme-pc.ca/showproduct.asp?menu1id=12&men...

but to be honest, they used an OC-ed quadcore which scores roughly 6000 so 12769 isn't all that great a score. These are synthetic though so wait for real gaming benchies.
For comparison: E6700 @3.333 and stock GTX scores 11538 with 2985 for CPU.
!