Backup Drive

Anyone know anything about I/O Magic 4GB USB 2.0 Micro Drive? On sale at
Home Depot for $99.00. Am considering this one for backing up my hard
drive. Thnaks in advance.

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

Home Depot does not sell computer components....

I/OMagic Unveils New GigaBank 4.0 Portable Storage Device
http://www.iomagic.com/Press/press_release.asp?PRID=108

Suggested retail price of $179.99 so $99.00 is a good value!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

In news:%23CLEGx2bFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:

> Anyone know anything about I/O Magic 4GB USB 2.0 Micro Drive?
> On
> sale at Home Depot for $99.00. Am considering this one for
> backing
> up my hard drive. Thnaks in advance.

I know nothing about it (and am surprised to hear that Home Depot
sells such things), but let me ask how big is your drive? If
you're actually thinking about about backing up the drive (not
just a few files on it), 4GB is probably *way* too small.

Please reply to the newsgroup

4GB drive doesn't give much space to use as a backup device. I'd suggest you
look into getting a USB hard drive enclose and purchase a decent size drive.
Check this out to see what I mean

For $20 this device enables you to slide any sized standard IDE Hard drive
into it and then plugs into a USB slot
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1281816&CatId=1204

You can purchase a 120 GB hard drive for $70 and get a $20 rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1074952

So the total cost before rebate is $90 and look at all the storage space. I
have 2 of these I use all the time. It is a perfect way to create backups
and then move the backup off site. One doesn't want to have their backups
stored at the same location as the original. In the event of fire, flood or
theft you know you have a backup elsewhere.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Lavert wrote:
> Anyone know anything about I/O Magic 4GB USB 2.0 Micro
> Drive? On sale at Home Depot for $99.00. Am considering
> this one for backing up my hard drive. Thnaks in advance.

Home Depot? Let me guess, it's in the same aisle as Draino and
Liquid Plumber. Those are the only backup items I've ever found
at Home Depot. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

Seriously, the best feature of these types of drives is their
portability. They're great if you want to transport files
between two physical locations. I find them to be a somewhat
limited backup device. Even 4GB can fill up quickly.

As an alternative, you might want to consider an external USB
drive. OfficeMax recently had an 80GB Western Digital external
HD advertised for $50 after rebates.

CircuitCity currently has a 120GB WD external HD advertised for
$69.99:

http://tinyurl.com/47uqa

That's 30 times the storage space for $30 less when compared to
the drive at Office Depot.

It's your choice. If you want to be able to carry your files
with you then that I/O drive is a good value. If you want to
have flexibility in what you can backup, an external USB drive
would be a better choice.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

> In news:%23CLEGx2bFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:
>
> > Anyone know anything about I/O Magic 4GB USB 2.0 Micro Drive?
> > On
> > sale at Home Depot for $99.00. Am considering this one for
> > backing
> > up my hard drive. Thnaks in advance.
>

> I know nothing about it (and am surprised to hear that Home Depot
> sells such things), but let me ask how big is your drive? If
> you're actually thinking about about backing up the drive (not
> just a few files on it), 4GB is probably *way* too small.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken And All Others Who Responded To My Request:

Thank you all for your responses. I should have said on sale at Office
Depot. I am looking for portability as much as anything. I know 4GB will
fill up quickly. Since I do not have but 3GB on hard drive I think it will
suffice. In addition to Windows XP Home Edition, I only have three other
applications on board. Thank you all again.

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

In news:%23uqmz24bFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:

> Ken And All Others Who Responded To My Request:
>
> Thank you all for your responses. I should have said on sale
> at
> Office Depot.

Thanks. That sounds much more likely.

> I am looking for portability as much as anything. I
> know 4GB will fill up quickly. Since I do not have but 3GB on
> hard
> drive I think it will suffice.

It will suffice for a single backup, but you will have no ability
to have more than one generation of backup at a time. I'm
personally unhappy with that degree of protection, but if you
think it's adequate, it's your choice.

> In addition to Windows XP Home
> Edition, I only have three other applications on board. Thank
> you
> all again.

You didn't say how big the drive is. You may have only 3GB on the
drive at present, but it's unlikely that you will have so little
on it for long. If it were me, I wouldn't want to invest that
much money on such a small backup device; my prediction is that
you'll outgrow it much sooner than you think.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> "**********weeeeeeeeeeee" <pcbutts1@thisoldtreehouse.com> wrote
> in
> message news:Yb0re.21703$cN2.6273@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
>>
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>> message
>>> In news:%23CLEGx2bFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:

>>> I know nothing about it (and am surprised to hear that Home
>>> Depot
>>> sells such things), but let me ask how big is your drive? If
>>> you're actually thinking about about backing up the drive
>>> (not
>>> just a few files on it), 4GB is probably *way* too small.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

I just purchased an I/O Magic Giga Bank 40GB pocket drive at Staples
for $199. I/O Magic sel the next model up with 80GB capacity for the
same price at their website. If I were you I'd buy a large capacity
unit for essentially the same money.

JP