when is AMD comming out with quad!!!

morg

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
not before they have successfully reduced power consumption of ONE SINGLE core below 35W on FULL LOAD while the core can perform enough in multitasking operations ...

intel has made this mistake... Q6700 seems good but it can't be used under full load otherwise, it won't survive the 3 year warranty. gets too hot.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
intel has made this mistake... Q6700 seems good but it can't be used under full load otherwise, it won't survive the 3 year warranty. gets too hot.

Q6700 cant survive more than 3 years?? who said that?
It uses less power than an AMD FX62!

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
When Intel BKs in Q2'08.

LOL, how is the Dr. doing nowadays? He hasn't updated his blog for many days, I hope he is OK. ;)

Though perhaps going into hiding isn't such a bad thing after making such predictions. :lol:

not before they have successfully reduced power consumption of ONE SINGLE core below 35W on FULL LOAD while the core can perform enough in multitasking operations ...

ROFL! Just as I was speaking of the Doc... you come up with a classic! I suppose the QX6700 will explode and burn your house down too? :lol: :lol: :lol:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

hell_freezes_over.jpg

J/K.

No one knows for sure. Supposed to be Q3 that is sometime between July 1rst and the end of of september, but rumours are floating that its going to be pushed back to Q4.

Broadest guess is sometime before Xmas

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
AMD have a battle on their hands because even if they mange to offer something better than the Intel competition I think pricing needs to reasonable. The problem is on one hand AMD needs to make a profit, but on the other if priced to high it will not look good for the purchaser who could get an Intel Processor for peanuts. It's not looking good for AMD, but I really do want them to succeed.

nop

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

hell_freezes_over.jpg

J/K.

No one knows for sure. Supposed to be Q3 that is sometime between July 1rst and the end of of september, but rumours are floating that its going to be pushed back to Q4.

Broadest guess is sometime before Xmas

Now that is a brilliant jpeg!

More seriously, AMD are promising a Barcelona release
Barcelona Release Date?

According to AMD spokesman Jon Carvill, Barcelona is on track to ship to system builders during the third quarter of this year. The company expects its customers to be ready to ship server and workstation systems with the new processor during Q3 as well – which will set the stage for an official introduction of the processor: “We will announce the processor as soon as our partners are ready to ship systems,” Carvill said.

The launch of the desktop version of Barcelona will depend on the launch date of the server chip. AMD plans to introduce the Phenom quad-core processor within 60 to 90 days after the introduction of Barcelona, industry sources indicated.

...but remember that Barcelona isn't the code name for the mainstream, desktop, part (the Phenom part: Well, at least it doesn't sound like a treatment for fungal foot infection). So, if you are waiting for that to be released, you have to add nearly another quarter. On the other hand, once barca is released, we'll have a good idea of where the performance, and equally as important, performance per clock, is likely to be.

...then there's just the wait for the more important benchmark: price.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

vincio_filiarum

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
I believe it's coming out when 3D Realms releases Duke Nukem Forever. Very Happy

Well, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was released, and that was as much vapourware as DNF for a loooooong time - I was following it since '03 or something... and lo and behold, after years of nothing, out it is...

I won't point out it's buggy, has half the features disabled, bears a close resemblence to a lot of previous-gen-stuff, runs badly and crashes all the time... :lol: :lol: :lol:

speed4life

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Probably Never. If they are going to be out sourcing who knows when?

Motherboard: EVGA T1
CPU: E6600 L646G494 @ 3.7Ghz. 1:1 Ratio Linked & Synced Voltage 1.44 Load Temp 45c
Idle Temp. 25c
SPP:1.45volts, MCP: 1.50volts
Memory: Mushkin PC2 8000 4-5-4-11, 2T Voltage 2.1
Swiftech Water Cooling H20-220
Video: One EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply: Silverstone 750W

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Well, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was released, and that was as much vapourware as DNF for a loooooong time - I was following it since '03 or something... and lo and behold, after years of nothing, out it is...

DNF was announced in 1997, and they've started the whole damn game over at least three or four times. I expect it will be announced any day now that the game will be exclusive to Playstation 4.

While AMD has certainly not started from scratch, I am sure they have had to go back to the drawing board more than they expected. They picked a terrible time to overestimate themselves.

AMD should hire George Broussard to be their spokesman. People don't seem to mind when he says "when it's done" for the hundredth time each day.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
As long as we're doing game analogies, why not a positive one :D .
Anybody remember Valve and Half-life 2? Plenty of delays, missed launchdates and conspiracy theories as to the theft of code, but it turned out pretty sweet. Think happy thoughts :wink: