Sign in with
Your question

when is AMD comming out with quad!!!

Last response: in CPUs
June 18, 2007 10:23:53 AM

More about : amd comming quad

June 18, 2007 10:36:42 AM

You really want to know? So does everyone else on this board. The problem is that no one has any idea. :?
Related resources
June 18, 2007 11:10:33 AM

Quote:
:tongue: :roll:
June 18, 2007 11:37:57 AM

When pigs start flying maybe?
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2007 12:17:41 PM

I think around the same time ATI/AMD will come out with the All-In-Wonder TV and FM drivers and software for Vista..
June 18, 2007 12:58:37 PM

not before they have successfully reduced power consumption of ONE SINGLE core below 35W on FULL LOAD while the core can perform enough in multitasking operations ...

intel has made this mistake... Q6700 seems good but it can't be used under full load otherwise, it won't survive the 3 year warranty. gets too hot.
June 18, 2007 1:23:56 PM

When all the Intel Fans boys stop saying that they are going bankrupt and don't have enough money too eat.
June 18, 2007 1:26:57 PM

Quote:
intel has made this mistake... Q6700 seems good but it can't be used under full load otherwise, it won't survive the 3 year warranty. gets too hot.

Q6700 cant survive more than 3 years?? who said that?
It uses less power than an AMD FX62!
June 18, 2007 1:31:04 PM

Quote:
When Intel BKs in Q2'08.

LOL, how is the Dr. doing nowadays? He hasn't updated his blog for many days, I hope he is OK. ;) 

Though perhaps going into hiding isn't such a bad thing after making such predictions. :lol: 

Quote:
not before they have successfully reduced power consumption of ONE SINGLE core below 35W on FULL LOAD while the core can perform enough in multitasking operations ...

ROFL! Just as I was speaking of the Doc... you come up with a classic! I suppose the QX6700 will explode and burn your house down too? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
June 18, 2007 2:18:43 PM

Quote:

J/K.

No one knows for sure. Supposed to be Q3 that is sometime between July 1rst and the end of of september, but rumours are floating that its going to be pushed back to Q4.

Broadest guess is sometime before Xmas
June 18, 2007 3:04:42 PM

Never. Stop waiting and depending on AMD to do anything. They are all talk right now.
June 18, 2007 3:33:14 PM

at the end of this year
June 18, 2007 3:51:04 PM

Quote:
When Intel BKs in Q2'08.

I don't know how many people here would get that joke, but damn is it funny.
June 18, 2007 5:32:15 PM

AMD have a battle on their hands because even if they mange to offer something better than the Intel competition I think pricing needs to reasonable. The problem is on one hand AMD needs to make a profit, but on the other if priced to high it will not look good for the purchaser who could get an Intel Processor for peanuts. It's not looking good for AMD, but I really do want them to succeed.
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 120 À AMD
June 19, 2007 2:20:39 AM

Quote:

Yep. See here...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2extre...

June 20, 2007 5:51:30 PM

Quote:

J/K.

No one knows for sure. Supposed to be Q3 that is sometime between July 1rst and the end of of september, but rumours are floating that its going to be pushed back to Q4.

Broadest guess is sometime before Xmas

Now that is a brilliant jpeg!

More seriously, AMD are promising a Barcelona release
Barcelona Release Date?

Quote:
According to AMD spokesman Jon Carvill, Barcelona is on track to ship to system builders during the third quarter of this year. The company expects its customers to be ready to ship server and workstation systems with the new processor during Q3 as well – which will set the stage for an official introduction of the processor: “We will announce the processor as soon as our partners are ready to ship systems,” Carvill said.

The launch of the desktop version of Barcelona will depend on the launch date of the server chip. AMD plans to introduce the Phenom quad-core processor within 60 to 90 days after the introduction of Barcelona, industry sources indicated.

...but remember that Barcelona isn't the code name for the mainstream, desktop, part (the Phenom part: Well, at least it doesn't sound like a treatment for fungal foot infection). So, if you are waiting for that to be released, you have to add nearly another quarter. On the other hand, once barca is released, we'll have a good idea of where the performance, and equally as important, performance per clock, is likely to be.

...then there's just the wait for the more important benchmark: price.
June 20, 2007 6:03:41 PM

Yeah, that quote was in response to some analyst who was guestimating Q4, but there have been some new rumours. I normally wouldnt give these rumours much credence, but theyve been on the increase.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3006

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=53870

So at this point anyones guess seems to be as valid as anyone elses. Oh, and I wasnt refering to Kuma or Phenom just to the first chip of the K10 family to be realeased
June 20, 2007 6:14:06 PM

Production AMD Barcelonas to arrive mid-August

That's about 2 months from now, give or take, whet it will arrive in he hand of partners. It should shortly be available with Internet vendors. So the real answer is you can't get a Barcelona next week no mater how much you want one :D 
June 20, 2007 6:51:52 PM

I believe it's coming out when 3D Realms releases Duke Nukem Forever. :D 

SP
June 20, 2007 8:54:27 PM

Quote:
I believe it's coming out when 3D Realms releases Duke Nukem Forever. Very Happy

Well, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was released, and that was as much vapourware as DNF for a loooooong time - I was following it since '03 or something... and lo and behold, after years of nothing, out it is...

I won't point out it's buggy, has half the features disabled, bears a close resemblence to a lot of previous-gen-stuff, runs badly and crashes all the time... :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
June 20, 2007 9:28:11 PM

Probably Never. If they are going to be out sourcing who knows when?

Motherboard: EVGA T1
CPU: E6600 L646G494 @ 3.7Ghz. 1:1 Ratio Linked & Synced Voltage 1.44 Load Temp 45c
Idle Temp. 25c
SPP:1.45volts, MCP: 1.50volts
Memory: Mushkin PC2 8000 4-5-4-11, 2T Voltage 2.1
Swiftech Water Cooling H20-220
Video: One EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply: Silverstone 750W
June 20, 2007 9:40:27 PM

Quote:

some day...

no competition is a very bad thing, damn you AMD.
June 21, 2007 11:36:41 AM

Quote:
Well, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was released, and that was as much vapourware as DNF for a loooooong time - I was following it since '03 or something... and lo and behold, after years of nothing, out it is...

DNF was announced in 1997, and they've started the whole damn game over at least three or four times. I expect it will be announced any day now that the game will be exclusive to Playstation 4.

While AMD has certainly not started from scratch, I am sure they have had to go back to the drawing board more than they expected. They picked a terrible time to overestimate themselves.

AMD should hire George Broussard to be their spokesman. People don't seem to mind when he says "when it's done" for the hundredth time each day.
June 21, 2007 12:48:46 PM

As long as we're doing game analogies, why not a positive one :D  .
Anybody remember Valve and Half-life 2? Plenty of delays, missed launchdates and conspiracy theories as to the theft of code, but it turned out pretty sweet. Think happy thoughts :wink:
June 21, 2007 12:53:26 PM

Does that mean you will have to sign in to AMD's website every time you want to use your Barcelona CPU? :) 
June 21, 2007 12:55:47 PM

Quite possibly, but you'll also receive tempting offers when you do :D 
June 21, 2007 1:19:19 PM

You might as well ask, "What is the missing link?"
The answer would be the same: Nobody really knows. :roll:
June 22, 2007 5:27:39 PM

Quote:

i said, now, the cpu is running cooler because it practically NEVER works under full load. then, a quad core using 120 watt will be hotter than a dual core consuming 150watt... also, fx-62 and QX6800 aren't to be compared, i wouldn't compare as i wouldn't compare an A64 to a prescott.

i say once all applications will me using a scaleable number of cpu, the QX actual series won't run as cooler as now and the stock cooling intel provides with them won't be sufficient... that's all. test your cpu with cpu intensive tests using all 4 cores, and you'll see what i'm talking about.
quad core cpu average load will increase
!