bluesnarfing

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

<http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci952393,00.html>

Bluesnarfing is the theft of information from a wireless device
through a Bluetooth connection. Bluetooth is a high-speed but very
short-range wireless technology for exchanging data between desktop
and mobile computers, personal digital assistants (PDAs), and other
devices. By exploiting a vulnerability in the way Bluetooth is
implemented on a mobile phone, an attacker can access information --
such as the user's calendar, contact list and e-mail and text
messages -- without leaving any evidence of the attack. Other devices
that use Bluetooth, such as laptop computers, may also be vulnerable,
although to a lesser extent, by virtue of their more complex systems.
Operating in invisible mode protects some devices, but others are
vulnerable as long as Bluetooth is enabled.

[MORE]

For information, see <http://www.thebunker.net/security/bluetooth.htm>
See also <http://www.giac.org/practical/GCIA/Scott_Renna_GCIA.pdf>, which
describes attack on a Sony Ericsson T610.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

A similar article appeared in the December "Wired".

BTW, the url you posted that kicked off the "ringtone" thread seems to have
disappeared. Are you aware?

In article <L3QEd.13186$vM4.11239@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
"Joe Fabeitz" <jf@hotmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, the url you posted that kicked off the "ringtone" thread seems to have
> disappeared. Are you aware?

http://j.navas.home.att.net/johns_ringtones.zip

You mean Navas finally wized up and took down the ringtones that could
have got him in trouble? Or did the RIAA make him do it?

Could it be Navas was actually wrong about something ? He spent a week
posting it was OK for him to make, use and post ringtones.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

Oh Boy! Looks my post woke up the "Zwick" guy. Sorry folks.

> In article <L3QEd.13186$vM4.11239@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
> "Joe Fabeitz" <jf@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > BTW, the url you posted that kicked off the "ringtone" thread seems to
have
> > disappeared. Are you aware?
>
> http://j.navas.home.att.net/johns_ringtones.zip
>
> You mean Navas finally wized up and took down the ringtones that could
> have got him in trouble? Or did the RIAA make him do it?
>
> Could it be Navas was actually wrong about something ? He spent a week
> posting it was OK for him to make, use and post ringtones.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

Unless the ringtones were actually excerpts of recordings the RIAA would
have nothing to say about. The composer and/or publisher might have a
claim if the copyrighted music were performed but that would be about
10% of the revenue earned.
There's an excellent article on this matter in the Dec '04 issue (#11)
of MobilePC magazine.

From:Jack Zwick
jzwick3@mindspring.com

> In article <L3QEd.13186$vM4.11239@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
> "Joe Fabeitz" <jf@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> BTW, the url you posted that kicked off the "ringtone" thread seems
>> to have disappeared. Are you aware?
>
> http://j.navas.home.att.net/johns_ringtones.zip
>
> You mean Navas finally wized up and took down the ringtones that could
> have got him in trouble? Or did the RIAA make him do it?
>
> Could it be Navas was actually wrong about something ? He spent a week
> posting it was OK for him to make, use and post ringtones.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <jzwick3-3858FD.08585511012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 11 Jan
2005 15:00:27 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <L3QEd.13186$vM4.11239@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
> "Joe Fabeitz" <jf@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW, the url you posted that kicked off the "ringtone" thread seems to have
>> disappeared. Are you aware?
>
>http://j.navas.home.att.net/johns_ringtones.zip
>
>You mean Navas finally wized up and took down the ringtones that could
>have got him in trouble?

Nope -- just freed the webspace and bandwidth once interest fell off.

>Or did the RIAA make him do it?

LOL!

>Could it be Navas was actually wrong about something ?

I make mistakes, just like everyone else.

>He spent a week
>posting it was OK for him to make, use and post ringtones.

It was and is OK.

In article <b5KFd.1811$m31.21365@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> >Could it be Navas was actually wrong about something ?
>
> I make mistakes, just like everyone else.

Yeah, like practicing law without a license.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

In article <b5KFd.1811$m31.21365@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> >You mean Navas finally wized up and took down the ringtones that could
> >have got him in trouble?
>
> Nope -- just freed the webspace and bandwidth once interest fell off.

John, you keep telling yourself that. You keep telling the world that.
You may even believe it.

Trust me when I say that we know what happened, and it had nothing to do
with your freeing up space/bandwidth.

In article <elmop-B64302.06132314012005@text.usenetserver.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> In article <b5KFd.1811$m31.21365@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
> > >You mean Navas finally wized up and took down the ringtones that could
> > >have got him in trouble?
> >
> > Nope -- just freed the webspace and bandwidth once interest fell off.
>
> John, you keep telling yourself that. You keep telling the world that.
> You may even believe it.
>
> Trust me when I say that we know what happened, and it had nothing to do
> with your freeing up space/bandwidth.

He had zero other webpages up at that sight, so he had no need to free
up, he did need to be able to tell the authorities he took down
unlicensed ringtones.

In <elmop-B64302.06132314012005@text.usenetserver.com> on Fri, 14 Jan 2005
06:13:23 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <b5KFd.1811$m31.21365@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >You mean Navas finally wized up and took down the ringtones that could
>> >have got him in trouble?
>>
>> Nope -- just freed the webspace and bandwidth once interest fell off.
>
>John, you keep telling yourself that. You keep telling the world that.
>You may even believe it.
>
>Trust me when I say that we know what happened, and it had nothing to do
>with your freeing up space/bandwidth.

Just to prove you're full of s___, er baloney, I've put it back up.
(I'll take it back down again when my point has been made.)

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford

In <jzwick3-142D0D.06211514012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 14 Jan
2005 12:22:49 GMT, Jack "FUDMEISTER" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <elmop-B64302.06132314012005@text.usenetserver.com>,
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>> > Nope -- just freed the webspace and bandwidth once interest fell off.
>>
>> John, you keep telling yourself that. You keep telling the world that.
>> You may even believe it.
>>
>> Trust me when I say that we know what happened, and it had nothing to do
>> with your freeing up space/bandwidth.
>
>He had zero other webpages up at that sight, so he had no need to free
>up, he did need to be able to tell the authorities he took down
>unlicensed ringtones.

Wrong on both counts. I've actually got lots of webpages and other material
on AT&T Worldnet, private and public, as you'd know if you had any clue.
Case in point:
http://sail.navas.us/ -> http://j.navas.home.att.net/sfba_sail/
Oops! :) And I've put the ringtones back up for awhile to show the latter
claim to be equally bogus

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]

In <elmop-B1DD92.06133914012005@text.usenetserver.com> on Fri, 14 Jan 2005
06:13:39 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <b5KFd.1811$m31.21365@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >Could it be Navas was actually wrong about something ?
>>
>> I make mistakes, just like everyone else.
>
>Yeah, like practicing law without a license.

Nope. Again, what part of this don't you understand? "Caveat: I am not a
lawyer, and this is not legal advice -- consult your own attorney."

In article <KZSFd.1888$m31.22238@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <jzwick3-142D0D.06211514012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 14 Jan
> 2005 12:22:49 GMT, Jack "FUDMEISTER" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <elmop-B64302.06132314012005@text.usenetserver.com>,
> > "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> >> John, you keep telling yourself that. You keep telling the world that.
> >> You may even believe it.
> >>
> >> Trust me when I say that we know what happened, and it had nothing to do
> >> with your freeing up space/bandwidth.
> >
> >He had zero other webpages up at that sight, so he had no need to free
> >up, he did need to be able to tell the authorities he took down
> >unlicensed ringtones.
>
> Wrong on both counts. I've actually got lots of webpages and other material
> on AT&T Worldnet, private and public, as you'd know if you had any clue.
> Case in point:
> http://sail.navas.us/ -> http://j.navas.home.att.net/sfba_sail/
> Oops! :) And I've put the ringtones back up for awhile to show the latter
> claim to be equally bogus

Right, where are the ringtones, so you can be reported again?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

In article <KZSFd.1888$m31.22238@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> >> Trust me when I say that we know what happened, and it had nothing to do
> >> with your freeing up space/bandwidth.
> >
> >He had zero other webpages up at that sight, so he had no need to free
> >up, he did need to be able to tell the authorities he took down
> >unlicensed ringtones.
>
> Wrong on both counts.

Not true; I've spoken with the people who spoke to YOU.

The world is a much, MUCH larger place than you can imagine.

In <jzwick3-A81384.12015914012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 14 Jan
2005 18:03:33 GMT, Jack "FUDMEISTER" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <KZSFd.1888$m31.22238@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <jzwick3-142D0D.06211514012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 14 Jan
>> 2005 12:22:49 GMT, Jack "FUDMEISTER" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> >He had zero other webpages up at that sight, so he had no need to free
>> >up, he did need to be able to tell the authorities he took down
>> >unlicensed ringtones.
>>
>> Wrong on both counts. I've actually got lots of webpages and other material
>> on AT&T Worldnet, private and public, as you'd know if you had any clue.
>> Case in point:
>> http://sail.navas.us/ -> http://j.navas.home.att.net/sfba_sail/
>> Oops! :) And I've put the ringtones back up for awhile to show the latter
>> claim to be equally bogus
>
>Right, where are the ringtones, so you can be reported again?

Right where they were before.

Lots of egg still on your face. :)

--
Best regards,

In <elmop-8CD98D.19062814012005@text.usenetserver.com> on Fri, 14 Jan 2005
19:06:28 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>> >He had zero other webpages up at that sight, so he had no need to free
>> >up, he did need to be able to tell the authorities he took down
>> >unlicensed ringtones.
>>
>> Wrong on both counts.
>
>Not true; I've spoken with the people who spoke to YOU.

That's a complete and total lie.

>The world is a much, MUCH larger place than you can imagine.

Should I be afraid? :)