PQ of up-convert DVD players?

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 8, 2005 7:48:53 PM

I am seriously considering getting one of these things and am curious to the
actual PQ. Is it a lot better than normal DVD players? I know there are a
few movies out now that are "mastered in HD". Just wondering what kind of
quality to expect. Don't wan to get it if it's just going to be a tiny
improvement. Thanks.

--
XBL GamerTag: RKRM

XBL Games: XIII, Burnout 3: Takedown, Counter-Strike, Crimson Skies: High
Road to Revenge, ESPN Major League Baseball, ESPN NFL 2K5, ESPN NHL 2K5,
Ghost Recon, GhostRecon2, Halo2, Links 2004, MechAssault, Midtown Madness 3,
NBA 2K3, Rainbow Six 3, Top Spin, Unreal Championship, Xbox Live Arcade

http://users.ign.com/collection/RKR

More about : convert dvd players

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:35:36 AM

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:48:53 -0800, RKRM <rkrm@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:
> I am seriously considering getting one of these things and am curious to the
> actual PQ. Is it a lot better than normal DVD players? I know there are a
> few movies out now that are "mastered in HD". Just wondering what kind of
> quality to expect. Don't wan to get it if it's just going to be a tiny
> improvement. Thanks.

Depending upon your display it may or may not make much of a difference.
It makes a difference for me, because 720p DVI on a 1280x720 LCD is
sharper and the complete image vs. 5% overscanned component (which
recording industry limits to 480p). At my TV's default settings, shadow
detail is better with DVI than component (although that can be improved
with adjustments).

It also depends upon the quality of the DVD. Some DVDs are not recorded
that sharp, and others are excellent (especially if originally recorded in
HD video).
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:15:00 AM

efflandt@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote in

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:48:53 -0800, RKRM <rkrm@NOSPAMcomcast.net>
> wrote:
>> I am seriously considering getting one of these things and am curious
>> to the actual PQ. Is it a lot better than normal DVD players? I know
>> there are a few movies out now that are "mastered in HD". Just
>> wondering what kind of quality to expect. Don't wan to get it if it's
>> just going to be a tiny improvement. Thanks.
>
> Depending upon your display it may or may not make much of a
> difference. It makes a difference for me, because 720p DVI on a
> 1280x720 LCD is sharper and the complete image vs. 5% overscanned
> component (which recording industry limits to 480p). At my TV's
> default settings, shadow detail is better with DVI than component
> (although that can be improved with adjustments).
>
> It also depends upon the quality of the DVD. Some DVDs are not
> recorded that sharp, and others are excellent (especially if
> originally recorded in HD video).

Depends on the TV and the DVD is right. I have a 34 inch CRT and on some
DVDs it make a real difference. Others are so so. I have it set for 1080iz
February 9, 2005 6:15:01 AM

In article <Xns95F7C3D319ED3Meeenospamtodaycom@207.217.125.201>,
Ski <ski@nospamtoday.com> wrote:

> Depends on the TV and the DVD is right. I have a 34 inch CRT and on
> some DVDs it make a real difference. Others are so so. I have it set
> for 1080iz

My TV is a DLP that converts all input to 720p for display (so it
downcoverts 1080i, and upconverts 480p and 480i).

So would I get any better display from a DVD player that upconverts to
720p and uses an HDMI or DVI cable than I would from a progressive scan
DVD player and component cables?

February 9, 2005 5:22:33 PM

Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in news:michelle-
34CBB8.00483909022005@news.west.cox.net:

> In article <Xns95F7C3D319ED3Meeenospamtodaycom@207.217.125.201>,
> Ski <ski@nospamtoday.com> wrote:
>
>> Depends on the TV and the DVD is right. I have a 34 inch CRT and on
>> some DVDs it make a real difference. Others are so so. I have it set
>> for 1080i
>
> My TV is a DLP that converts all input to 720p for display (so it
> downcoverts 1080i, and upconverts 480p and 480i).
>
> So would I get any better display from a DVD player that upconverts to
> 720p and uses an HDMI or DVI cable than I would from a progressive scan
> DVD player and component cables?

Again it is something you would have to try yourself. however I suspect
you would see a btter quality picture
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:22:34 PM

In article <Xns95F840DC24A32Meeenospamtodaycom@207.217.125.201>,
Ski <ski@nospamtoday.com> wrote:

> > So would I get any better display from a DVD player that upconverts to
> > 720p and uses an HDMI or DVI cable than I would from a progressive scan
> > DVD player and component cables?
> >
> Again it is something you would have to try yourself.

The problem with that is that I'd have to spend money for the unit, but
if there wasn't any noticeable difference, the money would have been
wasted.

> however I suspect you would see a btter quality picture

Why? Does it matter whether the upconversion is in the DVD player or in
the TV set? I really don't know, and am honestly puzzled. That's why
I'm asking.

February 10, 2005 5:28:37 AM

Yes it depends upon both the player and the TV set.

But start with a DVD player set for a wide screen display output. Use a
digital video interconnect, either DVI or HDMI to your TV set. Leave the DVD
player in 480i mode [the progressive scan converter off]. Then let your TV
up-convert the data to its native format be it 720p, 788p, 1080i or 1080p or
whatever.

Then compare that with the DVD player set to up-convert the data to your TV
sets native format if it can.

In my opinion, the better TV sets [such as Sony] do a better job than the
DVD player, especially if the TV set has a non-standard display [such as
most current Sony rear LCD projector sets].

Let your eyes be the judge and let us know what you find.

Richard.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:28:38 AM

In article <pFzOd.29338$8H2.4508@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
"Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> But start with a DVD player set for a wide screen display output. Use
> a digital video interconnect, either DVI or HDMI to your TV set.
> Leave the DVD player in 480i mode [the progressive scan converter
> off]. Then let your TV up-convert the data to its native format be it
> 720p, 788p, 1080i or 1080p or whatever.

I'd have to buy the player to do that. If there's no advantage to
upconverting in the player, I don't need to buy one because I have a
progressive-scan player already.

February 10, 2005 3:56:39 PM

Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in news:michelle-
465E2F.23320609022005@news.west.cox.net:

> In article <pFzOd.29338$8H2.4508@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
> "Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> But start with a DVD player set for a wide screen display output. Use
>> a digital video interconnect, either DVI or HDMI to your TV set.
>> Leave the DVD player in 480i mode [the progressive scan converter
>> off]. Then let your TV up-convert the data to its native format be it
>> 720p, 788p, 1080i or 1080p or whatever.
>
> I'd have to buy the player to do that. If there's no advantage to
> upconverting in the player, I don't need to buy one because I have a
> progressive-scan player already.

In my case the player has a much better picture than the TV.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:56:40 PM

"Ski" <ski@nospamtoday.com> wrote in message
> Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in news:michelle-
> 465E2F.23320609022005@news.west.cox.net:
>
> > In article <pFzOd.29338$8H2.4508@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
> > "Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >> But start with a DVD player set for a wide screen display output. Use
> >> a digital video interconnect, either DVI or HDMI to your TV set.
> >> Leave the DVD player in 480i mode [the progressive scan converter
> >> off]. Then let your TV up-convert the data to its native format be it
> >> 720p, 788p, 1080i or 1080p or whatever.
> >
> > I'd have to buy the player to do that. If there's no advantage to
> > upconverting in the player, I don't need to buy one because I have a
> > progressive-scan player already.
> >

> In my case the player has a much better picture than the TV.

What player? What TV? Better how?

Leonard
February 10, 2005 6:08:06 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:53:59 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
wrote:

>"Ski" <ski@nospamtoday.com> wrote in message
>> Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in news:michelle-
>> 465E2F.23320609022005@news.west.cox.net:

>> > I'd have to buy the player to do that. If there's no advantage to
>> > upconverting in the player, I don't need to buy one because I have a
>> > progressive-scan player already.
>> >

>> In my case the player has a much better picture than the TV.
>
>What player? What TV? Better how?
>
>Leonard

I can't see any difference between my Hitachi RPTV and my JVC player.
Both are outstanding.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
!