getting rid of W95/Weird.10240

Gordon

Hi

Does anyone know how to get rid of the virus named 'W95/Weird.10240'

AVG says that it is on my computer in one of the restore points (i think),
but I'm not sure if it will be cleaned properly if it is in restore.

thanks

Doug

right click MyComputer/properties
go to the system restore tab
turn off system restore.........this will delete all restore points.
reboot into safe mode...........F8 at boot
run AVG..........it should show the virus as gone.
reboot into normal XP
turn on system restore and create a new restore point
peterk

the problem

gordon wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know how to get rid of the virus named 'W95/Weird.10240'
>
> AVG says that it is on my computer in one of the restore points (i think),
> but I'm not sure if it will be cleaned properly if it is in restore.
>
> thanks
>
> Doug

To clear viruses or other malware from the "System Volume
Information," simply turn off the System Restore feature (Start > All
Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, System Restore
Settings), reboot, then re-enable System Restore, and reboot one last
time. This will delete all of your Restore Points, including the
corrupted one(s), and allow you start with a clean slate.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

In news:42ac9809$0$32240$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au,
gordon <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> typed:

> Does anyone know how to get rid of the virus named
> 'W95/Weird.10240'
>
> AVG says that it is on my computer in one of the restore points
> (i
> think), but I'm not sure if it will be cleaned properly if it
> is in
> restore.

It doesn't matter what virus it is. *Any* virus in a restore
point is completely innocuous unless you restore the restore
point it's in.
So you have three choices:

1. Delete *all* restore points by turning off System Restore,
then turning it back on.

2. Delete all restore points but the most recent (assuming that
that's not the one it's in). Go to Start | Programs | Accessories
| System Tools | Disk Cleanup. This choice is available on the
More Options tab.

3. Don't do anything, but just wait. As more restore points are
made each day, and older ones deleted, the infected one will
eventually fall of the end of the chain.

Please reply to the newsgroup

moocow

> [...]

> > (i
> > think), but I'm not sure if it will be cleaned properly if it
> > is in
> > restore.
>

> It doesn't matter what virus it is. *Any* virus in a restore
> point is completely innocuous unless you restore the restore
> point it's in.
> So you have three choices:
>
> 1. Delete *all* restore points by turning off System Restore,
> then turning it back on.
>
> 2. Delete all restore points but the most recent (assuming that
> that's not the one it's in). Go to Start | Programs | Accessories
> | System Tools | Disk Cleanup. This choice is available on the
> More Options tab.
>
> 3. Don't do anything, but just wait. As more restore points are
> made each day, and older ones deleted, the infected one will
> eventually fall of the end of the chain.

Thanks very much to all for your kind assistance.

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> right click MyComputer/properties
> go to the system restore tab
> turn off system restore.........this will delete all restore points.
> reboot into safe mode...........F8 at boot
> run AVG..........it should show the virus as gone.
> reboot into normal XP
> turn on system restore and create a new restore point
> peterk
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
> about the problem
> "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Does anyone know how to get rid of the virus named 'W95/Weird.10240'
>>
>> AVG says that it is on my computer in one of the restore points (i
>> think), but I'm not sure if it will be cleaned properly if it is in
>> restore.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Doug

When you read the instructions provided by Norton or McAfee
on their sites, they have a note for users of ME/XP that
says to turn system restore off. The only problem with
leaving system restore ON is that it can re-infect the
system if you use restore.

some support