Razer vs Creative

panda_man

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I currently have an X-Fi XtremeMusic, but I'm really considering getting a Razer Barracuda card that is specifically made for gaming. I want to replace the XtremeMusic because I do not like having 7 different processes running, and it likes to uninstall itself from my system at random times(Running Windows XP).

Thoughts on which card you like better? Barracuda vs XtremeMusic

Note: If I don't get the Barracuda, I'm considering upgrading to a better X-Fi card, so if you know much about this subject, please take that into account.

Edit: I didn't make it clear before, but this card will be used specifically for gaming. FPS gaming only(CS:S, HL2, BF2142, BF2, COD2, and others) and I'm willing to spend up to $200(U.S) on a card.

So the basic question is, which of the two do you like better? And if you like another card better then BOTH, which is it?

Thanks in advance :D

The Razer card works best if you also buy the Razer headphones. Together they can be expensive. If I were you I'd rather try to figure out what's wrong with the X-Fi. Do you have the latest drivers, for example?

The Razer is better, but not that much better. Take this with a grain of salt, I haven't actually tried a Razer myself. I just read a review some weeks ago.

There's also an Auzentech model based on X-Fi but with better components and drivers, or at least that's what they were promising. Don't know if it has been released yet.

RaidWeary

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
I had this same problem, but i was upgrading from the asus crosshair on board sound.
Bought the razer and paired it with logitech Z-5500's with the optical cables.
would never look back and loving it.

gaming is unbelievable, and music sounds great 2 after a little tuning.

would highly recommend it

Candew

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I too am a happy owner of a Razor Barracuda and love the sound quality that it produces.

With my 2.1 digital speaker system I was able to take full advantage of their digital out. I am not a hardcore 3D FPS type of gamer, so any loss of a couple of FPS that the Razor apparently causes is no hardship for me.

I cannot compare them with the X-FI soundwise, as I avoided the X-FI like the plauge due to their well documented compatibility issues with my motherboard chipset. In short, I didn't want to take a chance with a sound card that my not play nice with my existing hardware.

I was resigned to using onboard sound until Razor released the Barracuda.

Oh, and no bloatware to deal with or a gazillion processes (slight exageration :lol: ) running in the background.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase and would recommend it to anyone looking for a Creative replacement of equal or superior quality.

eckre

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
if you use surround sound and need EAX, you have no choice. If you don't have a surround sound setup, then it doesn't matter what you use, use onboard. it doesn't matter whatsoever.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I was curious about a similar question. I have an X-Fi XtremeGamer and it performs great. However, for my next build I was thinking of getting that Razer soundcard because I have the Razer headset and it's amazing. Hopefully someone that has had both an X-Fi and Razer can provide some input.