Remove write protection from dIsc
Hello,I wanted to format my d disc(hard drive partition) but then appears a message saying the operation did not complete because the media is write protected. how to remove this protection? thanks
1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
3. Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.
4. To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click OK, and then click OK again.
Hope this helps!
The program diskpart.exe is part of Vista and provides a means of checking to see if a disk is marked read only and to change the flag if it is. Full documentation is in Microsoft Help & Support at
A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility
Here's the procedure for checking the disk status.
1. Open cmd window running as administrator
2. Run diskpart.exe
3. At the "DISKPART>" prompt enter the following commands. Text from // onwards is a descriptive comment
4. >list volume //shows volumes and drive letters
5. >select volume n //set focus on desired volume number n from list
6. >detail volume //gives detailed attribute list for selected volume
To clear the read-only attribute for the selected disk, type:
ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY